Wednesday 18 September 2019

Murphy's fine scoring spree

Jimmies forward bags 4-9

Brendan Furlong

Shane Murphy's 4-9 helped St. James' to a comfortable 21- point victory over Taghmon-Camross in this Top Oil Intermediate 'A' hurling championship Group A game in New Ross on Sunday.

St. James' 5-20 Taghmon-Camross 1-11

Murphy's scoring salvo was the only feature of this game which took on a life of its own in the second-half as just three points separated the sides at the interval.

However, the eventual winners went on to dominate the second period, adding to their lead with some ease as the Taghmon-Camross challenge amazingly disintegrated, being outscored by 4-11 to 0-5 during that second 30 minutes.

Missing some players through injury, Taghmon-Camross still managed to hold their own during the opening period. At the end of the first quarter they led by 0-4 to 0-3, with two points apiece from Stephen O'Gorman and Pierce Doyle (frees), while Shane Murphy and Kevin O'Grady chipped in with scores for the opposition.

Then in a three-minute spell came two goals, with a Michael O'Gorman effort pushing Taghmon-Camross into a 1-5 to 0-5 lead after 20 minutes.

Three minutes later Shane Murphy brilliantly flicked a dropping Matthew O'Hanlon lob overhead to the net and brought the sides level, and with the same player along with O'Hanlon and O'Grady picking off points, St. James' went in leading by 1-9 to 1-6 at the interval.

Murphy's hat-trick of second-half goals inspired St. James'. His opener of the half arrived in the 42nd minute, giving his side a 2-12 to 1-7 lead.

Following this setback for Taghmon-Camross the floodgates opened, with Murphy adding further goals on 47 and 50 minutes, while two minutes later Kevin O'Grady got in on the goalscoring act as they eased to the most comfortable of victories, with the opposition's only response coming from Pierce Doyle pointed frees.

St. James': John McDonald; Brian Molloy, Jason Barron, Tom Walsh; Paul Barron, Liam Murphy, David Doyle; Mark Molloy, Robbie Barron (0-2); Donie Barron, Matthew O'Hanlon (0-1), Alan Walsh; Andrew Walsh, Shane Murphy (4-9, 0-7 frees, 0-1 '65), Kevin O'Grady (1-5). Subs. - Graeme Molloy (0-1) for M. Molloy, Jack O'Brien for Alan Walsh, Mark Myler (0-2) for D. Barron, Greg Doyle for Andrew Walsh.

Taghmon-Camross: Seán O'Gorman; Stephen O'Keeffe, Alan Nolan, Páuric O'Gorman; Adam Winters, Pat Nolan, David O'Keeffe; Barry O'Gorman, Darren Carty; Shane Doyle, Stephen O'Gorman (0-2), Darren Hayden (0-1); Mick O'Gorman (1-0), Pierce Doyle (0-8 frees), Richard Comerford. Subs. - T.J. Codd for M. O'Gorman, Barry Og McGrath for Hayden, Mark O'Gorman for P. O'Gorman, Thomas Furlong for Carty, Luke sinnott for Comerford.

Referee: David Jenkins (Gusserane).

Wexford People