Monday 11 November 2019

Nolan nets winning goal

Glynn-Barntown 1-5 Starlights 0-7

Dean Goodison

Substitute Darragh Nolan flashed home the critical 49th-minute major as Glynn-Barntown got their Greenstar Under-20 football championship Division 1A campaign off to a flying start in Bellefield on Saturday.

The tricky attacker latched on to Dylan Lyne's defence-splitting pass, took his time and fired high past the onrushing Anto Larkin to leave Starlights with too much to do in heavy conditions on the back pitch at the Enniscorthy venue.

Just 13 total scores says a little something about this game. In fairness to both sides, they never let up for a minute.

The tacky ground made kicking for scores difficult. Every shot attempt was hampered by sticky muck, clean connection was difficult, and power was at a premium.

That helps to explain the first 22 minutes that passed without a score. Both sides dropped a couple of efforts short, both kicked wides, but rarely did either look like breaking the deadlock as defences dominated.

Anthony Murphy opened the scoring with a fine point after great work by Craig Foley with a few seconds over seven minutes of the first-half remaining. A short while later Mick Dempsey was fouled and Dylan McVeigh made it 0-2 to nil.

At the other end, right on 30 minutes, Glynn-Barntown broke their duck when Nolan cut in from the left and hit the target. It was enough to keep them within a single score at the break (0-2 to 0-1).

Twice in the second quarter Glynn-Barntown hit back to level, firstly when Dylan Lyne opened his account and then when Aaron Breen finished after a classy one-two with David Roche.

However, points at the other end by Nathan O'Connor and McVeigh ensured Starlights kept their lead into the final quarter.

Nolan's 49th-minute goal didn't end the contest against a hearty Starlights, as they responded with a lovely McVeigh point to pull within one (1-3 to 0-5).

However, Lyne notched a quick brace to close out the 60 minutes, meaning injury time scores from Lee Jordan and Mick Dempsey were registered in vain.

Glynn-Barntown: Adam O'Leary; Shane Doyle, David Roche, Conor Clarke; James O'Shea, Ger Dempsey, Matthew Banville; Aaron Breen (0-1), Cormac Rowe (capt.); Cormac Cooney, Bill Joyce, Dylan Lyne (0-3); Daniel O'Regan, Luke Codd, Richie Ryan. Subs. - Darragh Nolan (1-1) for Codd (12), Michael Moran for O'Regan (32), O'Regan for Joyce (52), Joyce for Cooney (60).

Starlights: Anto Larkin; Thomas Wildes, Ronan Kirwan (capt.), John Murphy; Craig Foley, Nathan O'Connor (0-1), Mick Delaney; Martin Ryan, Seán Breen; Adam Kirwan, Dylan McVeigh (0-3, 2 frees), Jack Doyle; Will Doyle, Anthony Murphy (0-1), Mick Dempsey (0-1). Subs. - Oran Carty for R. Kirwan, inj. (33), Lee Jordan (0-1) for J. Murphy, black card (37), Mick Cullen for W. Doyle (47), Doyle for Foley, inj. (60+2).

Referee: Seán Whelan (St. Martin's).

Wexford People

Most Read