Tuesday 20 August 2019

O'Regan grabs the key scores

Glynn-Barntown win derby

Craig Doyle of Glynn-Barntown takes a tumble under pressure from James Parle
Craig Doyle of Glynn-Barntown takes a tumble under pressure from James Parle
Liam Kelly of Ballyhogan us tackled by John Leacy (Glynn-Barntown) during Tuesday's Division Two seni-final in Killurin
A Doyle-vs-Doyle duel as Glynn-Barntown's Micharel is challenged by Shane of Ballyhogue who has an All-Ireland junior semi-final against Kerry on Saturday in Dungarvan

Dave Devereux

The accurate shooting of county star Michael O'Regan fired Glynn-Barntown to a five-point victory over local rivals Ballyhogue in the All-County Football League Division 2 semi-final in Killurin on Tuesday.

Glynn-Barntown 0-14 Ballyhogue 0-9

The imposing full-forward was a constant thorn in the side of the Ballyhogue defence and accounted for nine points of the winners' tally, with seven of his total coming from placed balls.

O'Regan was quickly into his stride, stroking over the first two points (one free), and when Alan Cowman and Matthew Joyce stretched their lead to four by the eighth minute it looked like it was going to be plain sailing for the hosts.

However, Ballyhogue more than matched their opponents for the remainder of the half and were only a point in arrears at the break (0-6 to 0-5). Indeed, they were a shade unlucky not to be ahead having come close to finding the net on a couple of occasions.

Seán Ring was always lively for Ballyhogue, scoring three fine first-half points, one after his effort on goal had been blocked by goalkeeper Nigel Donohoe, to keep them very much in the hunt.

Corner-forward Gavin Doyle also saw his palmed effort on goal clawed away by Donohoe, but Denis Leacy (free) and John Kehoe kept the scoreboard ticking over for Ballyhogue while O'Regan (free) and Callum O'Shea got in on the act for the home side.

Ballyhogue began the second period brightly and looked to firmly have the bit between their teeth, registering the first two points of the half through Shane Byrne and Tomás Moriarty. However, O'Regan steadied the ship for the eventual winners, coolly splitting the posts with two '45s before firing over a tremendous left-footed point on the run.

O'Regan slotted over another three frees before the end with Gavin Doyle (free) and the lively Seán Ring replying for Ballyhogue, and it was left to Glynn-Barntown midfielder Michael Doyle to seal the win with the final point in injury time.

Glynn-Barntown: Nigel Donohoe; Nigel Usher, Robert Tierney, Eoin Raftery; Callum O'Shea (0-1), John Leacy, Cian Neville; Michael Doyle (0-1), Brendan Doyle; Robert Dempsey, Seán Carmody, Matthew Joyce (0-1); Craig Doyle, Michael O'Regan (0-9, 5 frees, 2 '45s), Alan Cowman (0-1). Subs. - Aaron Kehoe for Carmody, Kevin Crean for Dempsey, Ian Moran (0-1) for Cowman, Jack Fenlon for B. Doyle.

Ballyhogue: Myles Roche; Arthur Dunne, Hughie O'Neill, James Parle; Tomás Moriarty (0-1), Daniel Pim, Conor Byrne; Shane Byrne (0-1), Shane Doyle; John Kehoe (0-1), Eddie Galavan, Liam Kelly; Gavin Doyle (0-1 free), Denis Leacy (0-1 free), Seán Ring (0-4): Subs. - James Whelan for O'Neill, Hughie O'Neill for Leacy, Jim Bob Levingstone for O'Neill, John Roche for C. Byrne.

Referee: James Owens (Kilrush).

Wexford People

Most Read