Tuesday 23 January 2018

Oulart finish on a high

Dean Goodison

Shane Howard of Faythe Harriers tries to prevent Eoin Moore (Oulart-The Ballagh) from clearing the ball
Shane Howard of Faythe Harriers tries to prevent Eoin Moore (Oulart-The Ballagh) from clearing the ball

Oulart-The Ballagh took victory on the back of a dominant final quarter in their Pettitt's Senior hurling championship clash with Faythe Harriers in Bellefield on Sunday.

Oulart-Ballagh 1-13 Faythe Harriers 0-8

The Enniscorthy District side led by one point (0-8 to 0-7) with 13 minutes left to play but drove clear with 1-5 in what was remaining to take another two points and the top spot in Group B.

Nicky Kirwan had a great day from dead balls and he started the streak after a foul on Rory Jacob. The vital score, the goal, came quickly after an extended break for a nasty knee injury to Colm Heffernan.

Shaun Murphy played a long ball forward that broke perfectly for Tommy Storey to pull powerfully past Ian Scallan. A classy point from David Redmond and another Kirwan free increased the lead to 1-11 to 0-7.

The Harriers hit back through Rhys Clarke but Jacob and Kirwan put the seal on victory with points in added time.

The Páirc Charman boys played with the strong breeze in the first-half but failed to garner a large enough lead to defend in the second period. Confidence was high after victory over Ferns last week but this was a different level of opponent and they came up a little short.

Oulart-The Ballagh threatened first when Kirwan flashed across goal and wide left. They also took the lead in the tenth minute when the awkward-to-mark Peter Sutton scored from a tight angle on the left side of goal.

John Bridges got his side's first point in the twelfth minute and they added four more in the next six minutes from Jim Berry (two), Clarke and Shane Howard.

However, after failing to score with the breeze in those early minutes, the Harriers also went scoreless from the 18th minute until two minutes into first-half added time.

Those spells eventually proved costly as Oulart-The Ballagh turned a 0-6 to 0-2 half-time deficit into a tie after three Kirwan points and a Sutton effort within four minutes of the re-start.

Conor O'Leary did make a tidy save from a Clarke shot in the 36th minute but once Oulart-The Ballagh went ahead with Kirwan's fifth point a minute later they never looked back.

Oulart-The Ballagh: Conor O'Leary; Kevin Nimmo, Keith Rossiter, Barry Kehoe (capt.); Michael Jacob, Eoin Moore, Kevin Sheridan; Shaun Murphy, David Redmond (0-1); Des Mythen, Garrett Sinnott, Tommy Storey (1-0); Rory Jacob (0-1), Peter Sutton (0-2), Nicky Kirwan (0-9, 7 frees). Subs. - Darren Nolan for Mythen, inj. (3), Peter Murphy for Nolan (31).

Faythe Harriers: Ian Scallan; Brendan Mulligan, David Mooney, Ross Lynch; Colm Heffernan, Emmet Keeling (capt.), Nicky Lawlor; Alan Lynch, Jim Berry (0-2, 1 free); Barry Goff, Lee Chin (0-1), Shane Howard (0-1); Dean Walsh, Rhys Clarke (0-3, 2 frees), John Bridges (0-1). Subs. - John Cummins for Walsh (31), Alex Lynch for Heffernan, temp. (39-40), Alex Lynch for Heffernan, inj. (49).

Referee: John Carton (Monageer-Boolavogue).

Wexford People

Promoted Links