Tuesday 12 December 2017

Oulart thirds demote Wygram to Junior 'B' grade

Dave Devereux

Oulart-The Ballagh full-forward Mick Sinnott knocked the stuffing out of a depleted Wygram Gaels outfit in a one-sided Enniscorthy Electrical Wholesale Junior 'A' hurling championship relegation final in Oylegate on Saturday.

Oulart-The Ballagh 7-23 Wygram Gaels 2-8

The big target man was just too hot to handle for the Wexford town side and caused real panic in the Wygram Gaels defence every time he got the ball in his hand.

The number 14 had raised the green flag three times by the 22nd minute and added another early in the second-half before being given a well-earned rest when he was substituted with a quarter of the match remaining.

Wygram Gaels must have been relieved to see the back of him but their torture didn't end there as Oulart-The Ballagh continued to twist the knife until the final whistle.

John Browne pointed Wygram Gaels ahead inside the first minute but it was the only time they were ahead in the game, with a goal from Mick Sinnott on three minutes the catalyst for a resounding win.

The ball fell kindly for the full-forward and he gathered the sliothar before blasting it to the back of the net.

In the 12th minute Sinnott was at it again. His initial effort on goal was saved but he devoured the chance when he got a second bite of the cherry, again finding the net with aplomb.

Then on 21 minutes he completed his hat-trick of goals, with wing-forward Patrick Stamp handing it on a plate to the poacher.

Stamp raced in on goal from the left and his shot was saved by Gaels goalkeeper Cian Brennan, but the ever-alert Sinnott was on hand to bundle the ball over the line.

Stamp and Barry Sinnott then got in on the goalscoring act to leave Oulart-The Ballagh 5-13 to 0-4 ahead at the break.

And after goals from substitute Luke Carty and Michael Kelly brought a semblance of respectability to the Wygram Gaels side of the scoreboard, Sinnott added his fourth in the 41st minute.

The impressive Rory O'Connor added a seventh goal for Oulart-The Ballagh in the 49th minute when his sideline cut went all the way to the net, rubbing further salt into the wounds of a demoralised Wygram Gaels side now destined for Junior 'B'.

Oulart-The Ballagh: Cathal Sinnott; Seán Murphy, David Rossiter, Kevin Sinnott; Darragh Brennan, Anthony Stamp, Conor Lawless (0-1); Darragh Nimmo (0-3), Cathal Kenny; Patrick Stamp (1-3), Rory O'Connor (1-8, 0-4 frees, 1-0 line ball, 0-1 '65), Niall Redmond (0-3); Barry Sinnott (1-4), Mick Sinnott (4-0), Craig Davitt (0-1). Subs. - Aidan Murphy for S. Murphy, Robbie Dunne for Kenny, Billy Leacy for M. Sinnott.

Wygram Gaels: Cian Brennan; Richard Cleary, David O'Connor, Cian O'Keeffe; Brian Sheridan, Barry Redmond, Mark Kavanagh; Danny O'Sullivan (0-5 frees), Stephen Burke; Aidan Roche, John Browne (0-3), Michael Kelly (1-0); Ian McGuire, Joe McBride, Roger Doyle. Subs. - Frankie Cash for McGuire, Luke Carty (1-0) for Doyle, Kalem Kehoe for McBride, Jason Kehoe for Kelly.

Referee: Bob Treacy (Clongeen).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links