Saturday 21 September 2019

Over The Water lads get back on course

Crossabeg-ballymurn forge second win

The successful panel from Crossabeg-Ballymurn
The successful panel from Crossabeg-Ballymurn
The Our Lady's Island/St. Fintan's squad

Dean Goodison

Crossabeg-Ballymurn claimed their second win of the season and got back on course for a quarter-final place in the Wexford People Coiste na nÓg Minor football Roinn 1 championship at home to Our Lady's Island/St. Fintan's on Wednesday.

Crossabeg-Ballymurn 2-14 Our Lady's Island/St. Fintan's 1-7

The hosts led by double scores at half-time (2-6 to 1-3) and at full-time and that pretty much tells the story of a team which dominated the game with sturdy defending, sharper passing and clinical score-taking.

Somewhat interestingly, the 2:1 ratio of scores for Crossabeg-Ballymurn also matched the ratio of Devereuxs in midfield. It was that area of the field that produced a fascinating battle with both centrefield duos' attacking intent helping to create a cracking game of football.

Inside the first minute the victors went close when Oran Maddock slipped Mark Byrne in on goal but Josh Burke made a superb save. Luke Redmond proved difficult for the Our Lady's Island/St. Fintan's combo to handle and he kicked his side's first two points.

The visitors had a purple patch at the end of the opening quarter in which they took the lead. Paul Cummins kept Cathal Devereux's free in play, allowing Jamie Sinnott to punch home the opening goal, and when Devereux followed with a pair of points his side held a 1-2 to 0-3 advantage.

However, Ronan Devereux and Oran Maddock were involved in the build-up that ended with Dylan Ring flashing home to ease Crossabeg-Ballymurn back in front. When Byrne's ball found Redmond and he drilled home to make it 2-4 to 1-2, the visitors were in big trouble.

The deficit, which was six at the break (2-6 to 1-3), was maintained in the third quarter after points from Philip Foley and Devereux were cancelled out by Redmond and Maddock. Things started to go downhill for the Island/Fintan's boys when Foley was given a second yellow for a reckless challenge on Redmond.

They managed just two further points, with Adam Devereux and Quinn Saunders adding fine late scores. At the other end space was becoming easier to find, and Josh Burke brilliantly tipped Steve Cullen's effort over the crossbar in the 47th minute.

Crossabeg-Ballymurn were prospering through the centre as their 14-man opponents tired. Ronan Devereux kicked three points to add to his first-half score, while Robert Murphy also booted a brace to ease his side above their opponents in the Group B table.

Crossabeg-Ballymurn: James White; Alex Sludds, Conor Barlow, Steve Cullen (0-1); Luke Corish, David Kehoe (capt.), Tommy Ring; Ronan Devereux (0-4), Cathal Devereux; Luke Redmond (1-6, 0-3 frees), Robert Murphy (0-2), Dylan Ring (1-0); Lorcan Lacey, Oran Maddock (0-1), Mark Byrne. Subs. - Mikey Ennis for Leacy (34), Fionn Griffin for Byrne (52), Lorcan Cummins for Cullen (53), Robert Cullen for Maddock (56), Michael Cullen for Barlow (56).

Our Lady's Island/St. Fintan's: Josh Burke; Edmond Cleary, John Cullen, Robert Cloney; Adam Devereux (0-1), Seán Kehoe, Philip Foley (0-1); Cathal Devereux (capt., 0-4, 1 free), Eoin O'Callaghan; Jamie Sinnott (1-0), Cian Wright, Liam Flood; Paul Cummins, Quinn Saunders (0-1), Cian Meyler. Subs. - David Pettit for Flood (39), Shane Pettit for Sinnott (49), Shane Kehoe for Cummins (53).

Referee: Damien Donovan (Volunteers).

Wexford People

Most Read