Monday 23 October 2017

Oylegate advance with comfort

Horeswood faded rapidly

Kevin Walsh

Oylegate-Glenbrien eased past Horeswood in the Enniscorthy Farm Systems Junior 'A' football championship quarter-final in Taghmon on Saturday.

Oylegate-Glenbrien 4-16 Horeswood 1-3

Marty Kelly was the main protagonist throughout, racking up a personal tally of 2-5 as the blues ran riot against a below-par Horeswood team.

Kelly got the scoring under way, firing over two frees inside the first five minutes before Conor Heffernan kicked the first score from open play to put his side three clear.

Craig Murphy replied with the first of his three scores on the seven-minute mark but we would have to wait over ten minutes before the umpires were called into action again.

Horeswood were thankful for some superb saves from Brendan Howlin to keep them in the game, but Mark Kavanagh and Anthony Doyle added two more points.

Horeswood had the final say of the opening half however, with Eoin Mythen slotting home a penalty after Kevin Parker was brought down.

This meant that just one point separated the sides as the referee blew for half-time.

Oylegate-Glenbrien were again quickest out of the blocks in the second-half, with a fine score from Damien Reck adding to a goal and two points from the influential Kelly. Craig Murphy was single-handedly trying to keep Horeswood in the game but his third score midway through the half was the last that his team mustered.

Substitute Jim White, who added a little more steel to the Oylegate-Glenbrien side, grabbed the first of his two points with ten minutes to play, before Kelly added his second goal with a brilliant run and finish.

Mark Kavanagh also got in on the scoring act, picking off two fine points which were quickly added to by another from Peadar O'Mahoney.

Substitute Brian Doran calmly struck Oylegate-Glenbrien's third goal minutes after coming on, and they didn't have to wait long for their fourth as Kavanagh breezed through the defence and fired to the back of the net.

It was a fine performance from the winners who will now join Adamstown, Gusserane and St. Anne's in the last four, but Horeswood could never get a handle on the game and were very disappointing.

Oylegate-Glenbrien: Conor Doyle; Robert O'Connor, Shane Lambert, Fergus Heffernan; Bryan McCormack, Damien Reck (0-1), Ciarán Hourihane; Anthony Doyle (0-1), Lee Kehoe; Mark Kavanagh (1-4), Marty Kelly (2-5, 0-2 frees), Shane Reck; Conor Heffernan (0-2, 1 free), Peadar O'Mahoney (0-1), Adrian Nolan. Subs. - Jim White (0-2) for Kehoe, Kieran Lambert for F. Heffernan, Peter Nolan for McCormack, Brian Doran (1-0) for Kelly.

Horeswood: Brendan Howlin; Ivan Kehoe, Pádraig Kehoe, Damien Hearn; Kevin Parker, Brendan Hart, Paddy McMahon; Tommy Quinn, Alex Coyne; Kevin Rowe, Eoin Mythen (1-0 pen.), Eoin Murphy; Craig Murphy (0-3), Conor Breen, Ciarán Gregg.

Referee: Damien Donovan (Volunteers).

Wexford People

Most Read