Friday 20 September 2019

Oylegate in control

Spot is sealed in quarter-final draw

Fergal Doran in the process of scoring a point for Oylegate-Glenbrien as Billy Kelly (HWH-Bunclody) can only look on
Fergal Doran in the process of scoring a point for Oylegate-Glenbrien as Billy Kelly (HWH-Bunclody) can only look on

Dave Devereux

A commanding second-half display saw Oylegate-Glenbrien brush aside the challenge of HWH-Bunclody in Group B of The Courtyard Ferns Intermediate hurling championship in St. Patrick's Park on Saturday to book their place in the last eight.

Oylegate-Glenbrien 2-22 HWH-Bunclody 1-10

Such a comfortable margin of victory certainly didn't look on the cards as the sides switched ends, with the eventual winners only having a point to spare, but they outscored their opponents by 1-12 to 0-1 after the interval to romp to an impressive triumph.

It did look like Oylegate-Glenbrien could run away with it as they raced into a five-point lead in the opening five minutes with Jamie Reck (two), Seamus Casey, Fergal Doran and Eoin O'Mahoney all splitting the posts.

However, HWH-Bunclody got their noses in front on eleven minutes as they scored 1-3 without reply.

The goal came from Peter Atkinson, who gathered a delivery from Colm Farrell and kept his cool to find the back of the net.

Oylegate-Glenbrien's feathers weren't overly ruffled though and the pep was well and truly back in their step when Damien Reck found Fergus Heffernan who made no mistake to get the green flag waving in the 27th minute, giving his side a 1-10 to 1-6 advantage.

However, Bunclody finished the half strongly with scores from Billy Kelly, Eoin Kelly and Seán Kenny to leave themselves just a point adrift and it looked all to play for in the second-half.

Any hopes of a tight contest were quickly extinguished though, with Oylegate-Glenbrien picking off some nice scores, and when Seamus Casey rifled the ball to the corner of the net in the 44th minute there was no way back for Bunclody.

Casey added the next three points as Oylegate-Glenbrien continued to turn the screw, and Damien Reck, Jim White and substitute Pa Cullen also kept the scoreboard ticking over as they made it three wins out of four in the group.

Oylegate-Glenbrien: John Foley; Robert O'Connor, Bryan McCormack, Kieran Lambert; Damien Reck (0-4, 1 free), Michael Heffernan, Shane Reck; Jim White (0-2), Seamus Casey (1-7, 0-5 frees); Eoin O'Mahoney (0-1), Fergus Heffernan (1-1), Fergal Doran (0-2); Ciarán Hourihane, Jamie Reck (0-4), Conor Heffernan. Subs. - Pa Cullen (0-1) for C. Heffernan, Peter Nolan for Doran.

HWH-Bunclody: John Byrne; Conor Hendrick, Enda Slevin, Barry Kehoe; Thomas O'Neill, Conor Kinsella, James Moorhead; Colm Farrell, Billy Kelly (0-3 frees); Bryan O'Hara (0-1), Seán Kenny (0-1), Eoin Kelly (0-1); Jason Cowman (0-3), Peter Atkinson (1-1), David Reck. Subs. - Kevin Dunne for Reck, John Connors for E. Kelly, John Atkinson for O'Hara, Conor Crean for O'Neill.

Referee: Barry Redmond (Clonard).

Wexford People