Sunday 20 October 2019

Oylegate-Glenbrien romp to victory

The shield is presented to Richard Kelly by Dean Goodison and JP Howlin
The shield is presented to Richard Kelly by Dean Goodison and JP Howlin
The triumphant Oylegate-Glenbrien squad

Dean Goodison

Oylegate-Glenbrien spliced Réalt na Mara apart in the first 15 minutes on their way to glory in the Gorey Guardian Coiste na nOg Juvenile football Roinn 1 shield in St. Patrick's Park on Thursday.

Oylegate-Glenbrien 6-14 Realt na Mara 4-2

The Enniscorthy District side scored 3-6 without reply in that spell as they blitzed their shell-shocked opponents. There was very little between the sides thereafter but the damage was done in that spell as Oylegate-Glenbrien took the crown.

It was a pace of performance the Ballygarrett boys just weren't ready for. Fiachra Hourihane had a point on the board when he played the decisive pass in a flowing move that ended with Adam Gethings grabbing the first of a major treble.

Gethings, Hourihane, Tom White and Danny Ryan all added points to the tally before Joe Dunne found the Réalt na Mara net. Hourihane completed a hat-trick of assists in the 15th minute as Gethings notched his second goal and Oylegate-Glenbrien led by 3-6 to nil.

Réalt na Mara settled at the start of the second quarter and had several chances to get on the scoreboard. Yet it was Ryan's second point for Oylegate-Glenbrien that ended an eleven-minute scoring hiatus with four minutes of the half remaining.

Goals did finally arrive for the persistent Gorey District side, one either side of the interval. Jordan Goff scored before the break and Dylan Fleming registered the first of his three just after to close the gap to 3-7 to 2-0.

Joe Dunne's second major halted the building momentum for a few minutes but Réalt na Mara kept driving forward and missed two glorious goal chances before Fleming hit the net for a second time (4-8 to 3-0).

Paudie Casey was lucky to add his name to the scoresheet when his effort appeared to clip the upright on the way wide but there was no doubt about the final two Oylegate-Glenbrien goals, with Ryan grabbing a major and Gethings completing his treble.

A late Fleming spot-kick brought his side closer but the talented midfielder's heroics couldn't deny the victors. This was the second under-age title to go to Oylegate-Glenbrien already this year and they, along with HWH-Bunclody, are one of just two clubs to be in a hurling and football final at both Under-14 and Juvenile level.

Oylegate-Glenbrien: Ryan Hill; Richard Kelly (capt.), Niall Parker, Tomás Cosgrave; Peter Rowley, Mike Kelly, Garry Conroy; Tom White (0-2, 1 free) Fiachra Hourihane (0-6, 2 frees); Adam Gethings (3-2), Jack Reck, Paudie Casey (0-1); Kevin Cosgrave, Danny Ryan (1-2), Joe Dunne (2-1). Subs. - Michael Kinsella for R. Kelly (39), Joseph Whelan for Casey (59), also Conor Nolan, James Moulton, Adam Byrne, Mikey Kelly, Tomás O'Gorman.

Réalt Na Mara: Aaron Hall; Brian Lee, Billy Dunne, Johnny Sinnott; Killian Doyle, Adam Fleming, Johnny Higgins; Conor Doyle, Dylan Fleming (3-1, 1-0 pen.); James Fleming (capt.), Jordan Goff (1-1) Brendan Corcoran; Tom Hobbs, Conor O'Toole, Tom Higgins. Subs. - Seán Wafer for J. Higgins (8), Jack O'Mahony for T. Higgins (31), Seán Newens for Wafer (39), Martin O'Loughlin for Hobbs (47), Joseph Burke for C. Doyle (48), Johnny Higgins for Lee (51), Tom Higgins for Goff, inj. (55), also Jordan Redmond, Liam Molloy.

Referee: John Tobin (Geraldine O'Hanrahans).

Wexford People

Most Read