Thursday 22 August 2019

Pat's put themselves back in contention

Dean Goodison

They may have rode their luck at times, but St. Patrick's are back in contention for a place in the quarter-finals of the Top Oil Intermediate 'A' hurling championship after a ding-dong battle against Rathnure in Oylegate on Sunday.

St.Patrick's 2-15 Rathnure 3-11

On another day the Blackstairs boys might have scored a half-dozen goals.

However, Stuart Quinn had an inspirational showing between the posts with a couple of superb saves, while Syl Barron was the width of the crossbar away from a major fillip in the first-half.

There was also Rory Higgins causing all sorts of problems in the early stages with his pace difficult to curtail. He scored three points in the first period and one of the big failings of his side after half-time was that they couldn't get him involved nearly as frequently.

His side were a goal down inside 48 seconds when Shane Finn hauled in John Doyle's hopeful ball and forced it to the net. Rathnure responded within two minutes with a goal through a Nigel Higgins pull from Stephen Furlong's feed.

A deft flick from Ashley Tully, that completed a picture-perfect one-two with Tomás Morris and allowed the attacker to net, enlivened the Camolin-based side's supporters but again Rathnure responded through Anthony Westnott to trail by two at the interval (2-8 to 2-6).

Nigel Higgins found the net for the second time in the 33rd minute, aided by Shane Barron's defensive work, and suddenly Rathnure led. It didn't last long as John Doyle kept picking off the scores to send his side 2-15 to 3-9 in front with nine minutes left.

That's how it stayed until Furlong's '65 cut the gap to two six minutes later. Westnott sent over an arrowed line ball from the left to leave the minimum between the sides, but Rathnure couldn't find the leveller in added time, meaning St. Pat's stay alive in the fight for a last eight berth.

St. Patrick's: Stuart Quinn; Dillon Kavanagh, Tynan Flynn (capt.), James Cousins; Peter Roche, John Cousins, Hughie Doyle; Tommy Morris, Michael O'Brien (0-2); Tomás Morris (1-1), John Doyle (0-9, 6 frees, 1 '65), Tommy Dunne (0-1); Ashley Tully, Shane Finn (1-1), Lorcan Hamilton (0-1). Sub. - Mark Furlong for Tully (58).

Rathnure: Liam Barron; Denis Maher, Shane Barron, Aodhán Foley; Dermot Reddy, Matty Creane, Brendan Flynn (capt.); James Tobin, Stephen Furlong (0-5, 4 frees, 1 '65); Rory Higgins (0-3), Billy Conran (0-1), Syl Barron (0-1); Colin Flynn, Nigel Higgins (2-0), Anthony Westnott (1-1, 0-1 line ball). Subs. - David Maher for Tobin, temp. (37-40), Seánie Redmond for Flynn (45), Teddy O'Connor for Barron (50).

Referee: Philip Murphy (Faythe Harriers).

Wexford People

Most Read