Friday 23 August 2019

Quinn marks the sport for Kilrush

Late point downs Mary's

Brendan Furlong

Midfield Jamie Quinn stepped up to the mark with a point in additional time to hand Kilrush a dramatic victory over St. Mary's (Maudlintown) in this hugely entertaining All-County Football League Division 6 semi-final at The Rocks on Monday.

Kilrush 2012 St Maary's (M'tn) 2-11

Played in the scenic Rocks grounds, the new home of the Wexford town club, surrounded by high rocks and natural growth, it all added to the occasion, with the magnificent new clubhouse now nearing completion and adorning a prime position behind the Maudlintown end goal.

However, that was as good as it got for the home side who, despite a dramatic late surge, eventually fell to Quinn's late, late strike.

There was a lively start with Stephen Shannon and Stephen Ryan (free) exchanging points, with Ryan then kicking over a splendid point from a '45.

Seven minutes had elapsed when the home side struck for a goal, with John Carty applying the finish after an Ian Nolan effort had rebounded back into play off the crossbar, leaving them leading by 1-1 to 0-2.

Through the remainder of the half the sides continued to trade points, with Roy Doyle, Tony Duggan, Gary Murphy, Stephen Shannon and James Murray finding the target for the home side, while Stephen Ryan kicked over some fine points for the opposition along with efforts from Paul Browne.

It left St. Mary's leading by 1-6 to 0-6 at the interval.

After Stephen Ryan (free) and Jamie Murphy reduced the deficit to the minimum within minutes of the re-start, the north county side received a major boost when Ryan raced through the centre to shoot a splendid goal, inspiring them to a 1-10 to 1-8 lead by the end of the third quarter.

Twelve minutes from the end, substitute Eoin Murphy shot a splendid goal to give his side a cushion, but a Gary Murphy lobbed goal two minutes from the end brought the sides level (2-11 each).

This set up an exciting finish that saw Jamie Quinn emerge as the hero with an additional time winning point, securing a final spot against Bannow-Ballymitty.

Kilrush: Alan Owens; John Donohoe, Tomás Kenny, John Fortune; Seán Foley, Eamonn Carton, Paul Browne (0-3); Jamie Quinn (0-1), Ray Lancaster; Jamie Murphy (0-1), Stephen Ryan (1-5, 0-3 frees, 0-1 '45), Jack Quinn; Ger Kinsella, Edmund Kenny (0-1), David Owens. Subs. - Darragh Power for Fortune, Brian Hayden (0-1) for D. Owens, Eoin Murphy (1-0) for Quinn (temp.), Murphy for Kinsella, Gavin Sunderland for J. Murphy.

St. Mary's: John Larkin; Mark Doyle, Paul O'Connor, Lee Dryburgh; Gavin Cullen, Ian Farrell, Barry Creane; Gary Murphy (1-2), John Carty (1-0); James Murray (0-3, 2 frees), Roy Doyle (0-1), Alan Flood; Tony Duggan (0-2), Ian Nolan, Stephen Shannon (0-2). Subs. - Billy Doran for Dryburgh, Graham Hurley (0-1) for Flood, Kevin Sheil for Shannon.

Referee: Seán Whelan (St. Martin's).

Wexford People

Most Read