Monday 11 December 2017

Rathnure win again

Rathnure 1-17 Glynn-Barntown 2-12

Brendan Furlong

Shane Lawlor of Rathnure tries to make progress as John Leacy (Glynn-Barntown) closes him down
Shane Lawlor of Rathnure tries to make progress as John Leacy (Glynn-Barntown) closes him down
Paddy Whiteley of Glynn-Barntown is tackled by Matthew Joyce

As Kevin Ryan builds Rathnure they continue to gather momentum, reaching out to take both points despite a stubborn late Glynn-Barntown charge in this exciting Pettitt's Senior hurling championship Group A game in Innovate Wexford Park on Sunday.

Rathnure started the game having taken both points from their opening fixture, but Glynn-Barntown are still left seeking that first victory, with the defeat now leaving them with a challenge to take them out of the relegation zone.

For Rathnure it leaves them with four points and they now look destined for a quarter-final spot, as they were mightily impressive through this 60 minutes.

As Rathnure flexed their muscles, as at no stage were they led in this game, Glynn-Barntown left their manager Jerry Wallace with much soul-searching.

They mixed the good with the bad, and they lacked the consistency to fashion a result.

This was in stark contrast to their opponents who played with composure, passion and skill right through, and their victory margin would have been greater but for a late surge from their opponents.

While some refereeing decisions went against both sides, man in the middle Seán Whelan has enjoyed better days. While it was a tough, physical type of game, some of his decisions brought the ire of the crowd and players, as Rathnure held out in the six-odd additional minutes in a tense finish.

Rathnure showed their attacking ambition through the opening quarter, at the end of which they led by 0-5 to 0-3 through points from Podge Doyle with the opener after 30 seconds, Jack Guiney from an 80-metre free, Shane Lawlor and two Ciarán O'Connor frees, while Gary Moore, John Leacy (free) and Rioghan Crosbie points kept the opposition in touch.

Rathnure with the breeze were showing a positive attitude as they continued to swing over points through Brendan O'Leary, Ciarán O'Connor, Rory Higgins and Podge Doyle to lead by 0-11 to 0-5 at the interval, with Leacy (free) and Gary Moore responding.

Through the opening minutes of the second-half Rathnure stood tall as they set about building up a commanding lead. After a Leacy free had reduced the deficit, the Rathnure response was swift and positive as they struck back for points from Shane Lawlor, Ciarán O'Connor (free) and a fine Rory Higgins effort, having been picked out by a delightful Guiney crossfield ball, to move into a 0-14 to 0-6 lead after 36 minutes.

Two Leacy pointed frees gave his side a glimmer of hope, particularly when Brendan Doyle followed with a long-range point, before Gary Moore found the net ten minutes from the end to leave just two points separating the teams (0-14 to 1-9).

Ciarán O'Connor responded with a pointed free, with Shane Lawlor finding the net after a delightful effort seven minutes from the end.

His initial effort after a strong run through the defence brought an excellent save from Mark Fanning, but he followed up to fire the rebound to the net.

That score that gave his side a 1-15 to 1-10 lead, with a Ciarán O'Connor point from play extending that almost immediately.

At the end of normal time, O'Connor pointed a free after Fanning was penalised for falling on the ball in a goalmouth scramble, but the drama was by no means finished.

Three minutes into added time Leacy found the net, and followed with a pointed free one minute later to leave the score 1-17 to 2-12.

In the tense final two minutes Jack Guiney stood tall in defence as he plucked two high balls out of the air to clear the danger, capping a tremendous second-half performance from the attacker who covered an amount of ground, winning possession and setting up scores, while defending late on.

Rathnure: Dermot Flynn; Declan Foley, Denis Maher, Antony O'Connell; Brian Quigley, Paddy Whiteley, Aidan Redmond; Podge Doyle (0-2), Richie Flynn; Ciarán O'Connor (0-9, 7 frees), Jack Guiney (0-1 free), Shane Lawlor (1-2); Brendan O'Leary (0-1), James Tobin, Rory Higgins (0-2). Subs. - Seánie Redmond for O'Leary, Eoin Higgins for R. Flynn, Michael Redmond for Tobin.

Glynn-Barntown: Mark Fanning; Barry Doyle, Pádraig Donnelly, Ger Dempsey; Kevin Crean, Michael O'Regan, Brendan Doyle (0-1); John Leacy (1-6, 0-6 frees), Jack Fenlon; Gary Moore (1-2), Alan Cowman (0-1), Rioghan Crosbie (0-1); Rowan White, Michael Doyle (0-1), Daire Barron. Subs. - Frankie Hynes for White, Craig Doyle for Crosbie, Matthew Joyce for Fenlon, Fionn Cooney for Barron.

Referee: Seán Whelan (St. Martin's).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links