Friday 19 January 2018

Shels boys on song

Roles reversed with stunning show

Dean Goodison

The successful Shelmaliers squad
The successful Shelmaliers squad
Aodhán Byrne (Shelmaliers) and Darragh Carley (Glynn-Barntown)

Shelmaliers joined Glynn-Barntown at the top of the New Ross Standard Coiste na nÓg Under-14 football championship Division 1B table with a resounding win at Hollymount on Thursday.

Shelmaliers 5-10 Glynn-Barntown 1-1

The Over The Water boys lost a cracker between the sides by 4-7 to 4-4 back in April, but roles were reversed in this tie as the hosts produced a stunning performance from back to front.

This was the quintessential team performance from the victors.

It was a win based on a high intensity, physical showing that was simply too strong for their game opponents on the night.

The star of the show was Dylan O'Neill in midfield. His penetrative runs gave Glynn-Barntown problems that they simply couldn't answer.

While Aodhán Byrne provided further attacking help and added some classy scores too, the Shels couldn't have produced a performance of this quality without everyone playing their part.

Glynn-Barntown have had better evenings, and will have more in the coming months.

The game got away from them in the third quarter but the scoreline was extremely harsh on them. To their credit they battled to the end and eventually won the final quarter, which bodes well going forward.

Shelmaliers led by 1-6 to nil at the interval. O'Neill registered a fine pair of points while Corey Lawlor and Aodhán Byrne also scored as their side moved four ahead.

Glynn-Barntown went close to getting back in the game when Tom Butler cut in on goal but Eoin McCarthy produced a brilliant save to deny the attacker.

A powerful run and finish by Byrne helped his side into a nine-point interval lead but Glynn-Barntown went close again after the change-around when McCarthy saved from Jack Murphy.

However, a four-minute spell, in which Shelmaliers scored 4-2, killed off the visitors' challenge.

O'Neill got his first in the fifth minute before Louis Gainfort fired home from Tiarnan Malone's pass. An audacious chip saw O'Neill register a second major before he completed his treble with a penalty after he was fouled.

Trailing by 5-10 to nil, Glynn-Barntown continued to battle.

Paul Leonard lofted over a fine point from 30 metres out and Alan Mahoney slotted a last-minute penalty to add a little consolation.

The sides will be back in football action on July 7 when Shelmaliers travel to Rathangan to face St. Anne's and Glynn-Barntown host Rathgarogue-Cushinstown.

Shelmaliers: Eoin McCarthy; Davy Doyle, Conor Roche, Seán Og Flanagan; Darren O'Leary, Aodhán Byrne (1-2), Cian Rossiter; Dylan O'Neill (3-5, 1-0 pen., 0-1 free), Paul Hearne; Tiarnan Malone (0-1), Ryan Corrigan, Alan O'Leary; Mark Scallan, Louis Gainfort (1-0), Corey Lawlor (0-2). Subs. - Aaron Kinsella for Scallan (41), Thomas Roland for Malone (45), Oisín Furlong for D. O'Leary (49), Cian Doyle for Roche, black card (50), also Robbie Delaney.

Glynn-Barntown: Michael Laffan; Seán Murphy, Nathan Byrne, Conor Lyne; Corben Brown, Aidan Buckley, Darragh Carley; Paul Leonard (0-1), Jake Travers; Michael Mackey, Jack Murphy, Alan Mahoney (1-0 pen.); Josh Carley, Tom Butler, Lochlain McCormack. Subs. - Tommy Gallagher for Mackey (26), Colm Furlong for Brown (34), Jake Doyle for J. Murphy (41), Maurice Reynolds for McCormack (44), also Tim Gilhooly.

Referee: Noel O'Connor (Volunteers).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links