Sunday 22 September 2019

Six out of six for Bunclody

By Dean Goodison

HWH-BUNCLODY continued their superb run of form in the Wexford People Minor hurling Roinn 1 championship with a clinical victory over Rapparees in Bellefield on Wednesday.

HWH-Bunclody 2-18 Rapparees 0-7

Eddie Black was the hero with eight points, six of which came from play, but there's a reason why his side have won all six games to date. Simply put, they get strong performances from all over the field.

Defensively they were sound. Lee Levingstone played the sweeper-keeper role well while his full-back line didn't allow an easy goal opportunity all game. In front, John Dunne anchored a very strong half-back line.

The playmakers in midfield produced countless opportunities for the six forwards, all of whom scored except Neil Cullen-Tobin, but his contribution to a lot of his side’s best moves could not be underestimated.

HWH-Bunclody started with the breeze and, with three Black points, moved 0-3 to 0-1 ahead. Jack Mythen scored the hosts’ point, their only one of the first 22 minutes, as they struggled to move the ball consistently into the elements.

Without ever coming close to netting, after Cathal Doyle shot wide in the seventh minute, HWH-Bunclody kept the scoreboard ticking over as they moved 0-11 to 0-1 ahead courtesy of points from Michael O'Connor, Eoin Kelly (two), Brandon Kavanagh (two), Black and both corner-forwards.

However, Rapparees showed their potential when Adam Kirwan worked a nice score, and again when Jack Doyle tapped over a free after Craig Foley was impeded. Yet two more Kelly placed balls and Black's fifth point from play gave the visitors a 0-14 to 0-3 interval lead.

The second-half was a much tighter contest. In between two Black scores, J.P. Farrell fired just wide of Levingstone's goal. At the other end Anto Larkin made a stunning double save to keep Cathal Doyle at bay.

With the rain intermittently falling, two Jack Doyle frees kept the Rapps side of the scoreboard ticking over. At the other end Black grabbed number eight and Kelly registered his fifth from close range.

A needless flashpoint saw Willie Doyle and Peadar Cowman dismissed in the final quarter. While Dylan McVeigh scored a superb point for Rapparees, his score, and a final Doyle free, were sandwiched by two late HWH-Bunclody goals.

Tadhg Kelly had the simplest of pulled finishes from close range following an Eoin Kelly feed for the first, and then Doyle drilled home from a tight angle with the last puck of the game as HWH-Bunclody continued their march into the quarter-finals in style.

HWH-Bunclody: Lee Levingstone; Mikey Furlong, Josh Martin, Byron Byrne; John McCormack, John Dunne, Peadar Cowman; Eoin Kelly (0-5, 3 frees, 1 '65), Stephen Kavanagh; Eddie Black (0-8, 2 frees), Brandon Kavanagh (0-2), Neil Cullen-Tobin; Tadhg Kelly (1-1), Michael O'Connor (0-1), Cathal Doyle (1-1). Subs. - Ciarán Kavanagh for O'Connor (40), Bobby McKeown for Cullen-Tobin (57), also Lee Conroy.

Rapparees: Anto Larkin; Daithí Medcalf, Barry Doyle, Ciarán Sheil; Aaron Browne, Dylan McVeigh (0-1), Evan Murphy; Ronan Kirwan, Jack Doyle (0-4 frees); Adam Kirwan (0-1), J.P. Farrell, Craig Foley; Michael Dempsey, Jack Mythen (0-1), Willie Doyle. Subs. - Robbie O'Neill for Browne (31), Gavin Murphy for Foley (57), also Colm O'Brien.

Referee: John Carton (Monageer-Boolavogue).

Online Editors

Most Read