Monday 18 December 2017

St. James' seconds are final bound

Brendan Furlong

St. James' booked their spot in the final with a convincing 18-point victory over a disappointing Kilrush outfit in this Enniscorthy Farm Systems Junior 'B' football championship clash at Bree on Friday.

St.James' 3-16 Kilrush 1-4

The victors had a slow start after Stuart Dunning pointed them in front in the fourth minute. Kilrush went on to dominate the following seven minutes, with constant attacks resulting in points from a John Byrne free and Seán Foley, but erratic finishing cost them a number of scores during this spell.

Having settled into the game and getting back level through an Andrew Walsh eleventh-minute pointed free, St. James' went on to assume complete control. Adam Long and Andrew Walsh took a firm grip in midfield, while Alan Walsh, Dermot Keating and Stuart Dunning were becoming increasingly prominent in attack.

With the midfield dovetailing with the attack, the scores began to flow through Alan Walsh (two) and Richard Waters, before Enda Carroll found the net at the end of the opening quarter following a delightful long ball inside from Dermot Keating, leaving them leading by 1-5 to 0-2.

When Dermot Keating got on the end of a sweeping move to goal they went in ahead by 2-8 to 0-2 at the interval.

On the resumption St. James' became even more influential, picking off a string of points, while they could also afford the luxury of failing to goal a penalty when Richard Waters had his 51st-minute effort saved by the 'keeper, Alan Owens.

Kilrush responded with a Davy Owens goal but, just to demonstrate their dominance, Robert Murphy added a third goal for his side two minutes from the end as they set up a final meeting with St. Martin's.

St. James': Philip Molloy; Conor Crosbie, Brendan Foley, Tom Crosbie; Aaron Curry, Brian Kennedy, Joe Kehoe; Adam Long, Andrew Walsh (0-3 frees); Alan Walsh (0-4), Dermot Keating (1-2), Richard Waters (0-2); Enda Carroll (1-0), Stuart Dunning (0-5, 3 frees), Anthony Lawlor. Subs. - Jamie Doran for Kehoe, Robert Murphy (1-0) for Lawlor, Morgan White for Carroll.

Kilrush: Alan Owens; Brian Buttle, Tomás Kenny, John Donohoe; Seán Foley (0-2), Eoin Carton, Paul Browne; Jamie Quinn, John Byrne (0-2 frees); Jack Quinn, Fionn Fortune, Jamie Murphy; Ger Kinsella, Billy Nolan, Davy Owens (1-0). Subs. - Frank Doyle for Donohoe, Kevin Byrne for Kinsella.

Referee: Aiden O'Brien (Cloughbawn).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links