Monday 20 November 2017

St. Martin's prevail after epic tussle

Sweet victory ends a tough week

Dean Goodison

The St. Martin's Under-16 footballers who claimed the Gorey Guardian Under-16 Premier title. Photos: Ger Leacy
The St. Martin's Under-16 footballers who claimed the Gorey Guardian Under-16 Premier title. Photos: Ger Leacy
Dean Goodison presents the Under-16 Premier football cup to St. Martin's captain Michael Codd. Photos: Ger Leacy

An epic tussle between St Martin's and Glynn-Barntown finally went the way of the Piercestown lads as they claimed the Gorey Guardian Coiste na nOg Under-16 Premier football title in St Patrick's Park on Tuesday evening last.

St.Martin's 2-10 Glynn-Barnstown 0-07 (AET)

The win ended a tough seven days for the victors on a high note. Gorey nabbed the hurling title from them a week earlier and twice late on Glynn almost sauntered off with the big-ball equivalent.

It was 0-7 to 0-6 in St Martin's favour heading into the last minute of the 60 when the Killurin side burst forward with a three-on-two situation. Dylan Lyne, who had a superb game, offloaded just at the right time for substitute Ciaran Marlow whose shot clipped the top of the crossbar and flew over.

Then, when Michael Carroll was felled four minutes into added time, Glynn had the chance to win in from almost 40 yards out but the dead-ball attempt flew inches wide of the left upright.

Maybe extra-time was the fairest way to end a game in which both sides gave so much.

St Martin's led 0-2 to nil early after overs from Kyle Firman and Jordan Hayes but three frees from Carroll, Lyne and Liam Berry gave Glynn a one point interval advantage (0-3 to 0-2).

While Lyne put Glynn two up after the restart the lead never got bigger than that as St Martin's hit back with Firman (2) and Hayes on target to re-take the lead 0-5 to 0-4. They were also ahead at 6-5 and 7-6 with Firman and Jack Devereux registering but two from Lyne and Marlow's bar-clipper sent the game to extra-time.

Yet there was only one winner from then on. Hayes and Devereux had their side two up when Simon Curran and Firman combined to send Hayes away for the opening goal.

The extra-time interval lead of 1-9 to 0-7 increased further after a Ben Maddock point and St Martin's wrapped up the win in style when Firman latched onto a mistake to add a second major in the 81st minute.

ST MARTIN'S: Matthew Duffy; Rory Cullen, Ben Maddock (0-1), Diarmuid Barry; Eoin O'Leary, Michael Codd (capt), Ben Stafford; Adam Cantwell, Adam McLoughlin; Paddy Gallagher, Kyle Firman (1-4, 0-2 frees), Jack Devereux (0-2); Liam O Lionain, David Corcorcan, Jordan Hayes (1-3, 0-3 frees). Subs. - Philly Dempsey for O'Leary, black card (29), Simon Curran for Corcoran (41), also, Callum Quirke, Philip McGrath, Sam Audsley, Tony Rowe, Aaron Clancy.

GLYNN-BARNTOWN: Adam O'Leary Murphy; Barry Ryan, Shane Doyle, Michael Curran; Matthew Banville (capt), David Roche, Conor Clarke; Cormac Rowe, Ger Dempsey; Garbhan McCormack, Aaron Breen, Liam Berry (0-1 free); Michael Carroll (0-1 free), Cormac Cooney, Dylan Lyne (0-4, 2 frees). Subs. - Ciaran Marlow (0-1) for Cooney (39), Dylan Kehoe for Banville, inj (46), Shane Doyle for McCormack (56), Jamie O'Shea for Ryan (67), also, Luke Moloney, Luke Codd, Jack Doyle, Adam Wogan, Daniel Murphy, Jack Brazzil, Darragh Nolan, Michael Kearney, Jack Hayden, Luke Maguire, Philip Cowman, Conor Murphy, Jack Carley, Ryan Long, Ryan Kehoe, Daniel Long.

REFEREE: Ian Plunkett (Marshalstown-Castledockrell)

Wexford People

Promoted Links