Monday 11 December 2017

St. Mary's looking sharp

With seven points amassed from a possible eight, St. Mary's C.B.S. (Enniscorthy) are ready for an all-out assault on the Leinster Colleges Senior hurling 'B' championship in the new year.

Their drawn game with Wexford C.B.S. and one-point win over Abbey (Ferrybank) have already featured on these pages, and we follow up with brief reports here on their other victories over Gorey C.S. and F.C.J. (Bunclody) respectively.

St. Marys C.B.S. (Enniscorthy) 2-12, Gorey Community School 0-6: Two goals in the third quarter proved decisive in this strongly-contested match in St. Patrick's Park when the home side emerged victorious.

Seamus Casey floated a ball in from the wing for the first one, with Murtha Doyle getting the final touch to it.

The same two players were involved in the second goal five minutes later, but in reverse order. A long ball from Doyle was caught at full reach by Casey, who rounded his marker and shot to the corner of the net. Those two goals effectively put the game beyond the reach of Gorey.

Only three points separating the sides at the interval (0-6 to 0-3). They traded two points each for the opening ten minutes, with Murtha Doyle and Aodhán Doyle (frees) on target at opposite ends.

Murtha Doyle continued to be a thorn in the side of Gorey during the second quarter, with a further three points to his credit. Gorey were more wasteful, with a total of wides for the first-half in excess of ten. An exchange of pointed frees by Aodhán Doyle and Seamus Casey brought the half to a close.

While Murtha Doyle eased up on his torture of Gorey C.S. for the third quarter, his place was quickly taken by Connal Flood who sent over three points. Aodhán Doyle pointed one free in reply.

Gorey rallied, and two points from Doyle and Seán Delaney seemed to signal a revival.

However, the eventual victors again established dominance with a further three points from Diarmuid Fenlon (two) and the unstoppable Casey.

St. Mary's C.B.S.: Luke Redmond (Crossabeg-Ballymurn); Seán Murphy (Oulart-The Ballagh), Ronan Gahan (Shamrocks), Conor Scallan (Ferns St. Aidan's); Conor Lawless (Oulart-The Ballagh), Damien Reck (Oylegate-Glenbrien), Cathal Kenny (Oulart-The Ballagh); Mick Kelly (Oylegate-Glenbrien), Connal Flood (Cloughbawn 0-3, 1 free); Diarmuid Fenlon (Monageer-Boolavogue, 0-2), Pa Cullen (Oylegate-Glenbrien), Ryan Murray (Davidstown-Courtnacuddy); Diarmuid Doyle (Marshalstown-Castledockrell), Murtha Doyle (Oulart-The Ballagh, 1-5), Seamus Casey (Oylegate-Glenbrien, 1-2, 0-1 free). Subs. - Brandon O'Connor (Shamrocks), Robert Cullen (Crossabeg-Ballymurn), Ronan Kirwan (Rapparees), Lorcan Cummins (Crossabeg-Ballymurn), Barry Doyle (Rapparees), David Kehoe (Crossabeg-Ballymurn), Conor Wade (Shamrocks), Thomas O'Gorman (Oylegate-Glenbrien), Joe Foley (Oylegate-Glenbrien), Eoin Murphy (Ferns St. Aidan's), Cathal Walsh (Monageer-Boolavogue), Dylan Ring (Crossabeg-Ballymurn), Bradley Collier (Oulart-The Ballagh), Barry Sinnott (Oulart-The Ballagh), Jack Reck (Oylegate-Glenbrien), Brian Ormonde (Davidstown-Courtnacuddy).

St. Marys C.B.S. (Enniscorthy) 4-6, F.C.J. (Bunclody) 0-11: Two goals in each half saw St. Mary's C.B.S. come through as winners in this very entertaining joust with Bunclody's F.C.J.

'Goals win matches' is a truism which was evident in this match. The first came from Enniscorthy's Murtha Doyle who, in the 13th minute, burst through the Bunclody defence to give their goalie, James Lawlor, no chance.

This followed an exchange of two points for each side, Bunclody's courtesy of Eoin Kelly and Chris Turner, with Enniscorthy's coming from Seamus Casey and Connal Flood.

A second goal for C.B.S. soon followed when Pa Cullen took a pass from Ryan Murray and unleashed an unstoppable shot from close-in. Coupled with a point from Seamus Casey, that major saw C.B.S. seven ahead by the 20th minute.

However, during the remaining ten minutes, C.B.S. only sent over one point, from Murtha Doyle, but F.C.J. registered four, all courtesy of Chris Turner, two from play. That left only four points between them at the break (2-4 to 0-6).

Two quick points in the first two minutes saw Bunclody close the gap, but that was as close as they came. The first C.B.S. second-half goal came when Seamus Casey sent a penalty to the net, after Murtha Doyle had been fouled when going through.

Pa Cullen then worked his way into a good position in the tenth minute following a pass from Diarmuid Fenlon and took his goal from a narrow angle, widening the gap to seven points.

The game was still fought end-to-end, and C.B.S. full-back Ronan Gahan played a sterling role in repelling numerous F.C.J. attacks until an injury caused him to leave the field.

An exchange of two points by both sides saw the gap maintained at seven to the end, the C.B.S. scores coming from two pointed frees from Connal Flood, while full-forward Chris Turner and Cillian Redmond supplied the points for Bunclody who missed out on qualification for the knockout stages.

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links