Saturday 21 September 2019

St Peter's set up semi-final clash with Wicklow Schools

Dean Goodison

A greater goal threat proved to be the biggest difference between St Peter's and Knockbeg as the Wexford school booked their Top Oil Post Primary Schools Senior 'A' football championship semi-final place in Netwatch Cullen Park on Friday afternoon last.

St Peter's 3-9 Knockbeg 1-11

There was nothing between the sides in the opening 25 minutes. Ben Moore's superb finish from Peter Barry's pass in the 15th minute kept the Summerhill boys in touch, despite Carlow school Knockbeg having a little more of the ball (0-4 to 1-1).

As scrappy as those early exchanges were, there was always a feeling that St Peter's had a little more in reserve.

The five minutes before the break provided the damaging scores that Knockbeg would never be able to overcome.

Peter Barry started the run with a point, Barry O'Connor knocked over his first free after missing a few tricky ones, then Cathal Devereux made it 1-4 to 0-4.

Barry did superbly to keep in Devereux's booming effort in added time, he then offloaded to Dylan Lyne and the Glynn-Barntown attacker calmly found the net.

When Lyne added a point moments later, St Peter's were suddenly seven points ahead at the interval (2-5 to 0-4). A quick start to the second period was vital for Knockbeg and they got it with three consecutive points.

Still, St Peter's never looked unduly troubled and were six points ahead after Barry O'Connor's third point in the 52nd minute. The St Martin's attacker put the game to bed ninety seconds later when he broke onto a long Rory O'Connor free, rounded the goalkeeper and slotted to the net.

A chippy end saw goalkeeper turned attacker Jack Lawlor send off for Knockbeg while Rory O'Connor picked up his second yellow in added time. Shane Bolger's deflected shot five minutes into injury time was mere consolation for the hosts as St Peter's held on fairly comfortably.

St Peter's now have a great opportunity to booking their first Leinster final appearance since 1996.

Wicklow Schools stand in their way, a tie the Summerhill boys will fancy their chances in.

However, the Garden County lads beat Marist in the last eight, a side St Peter's will know only too well after falling to the Athlone school in last years championship.

That tie is scheduled for mid-January.

St. Peter's: Richard Ryan; Eoin O'Leary, Ben Maddock, David O'Keeffe; Quinn Saunders, Conor Firman (capt), Finn O'Driscoll; Brian Deeney, Rory O'Connor; Peter Barry (0-1), Ben Moore (1-0), Dylan Furlong; Cathal Devereux (0-3), Barry O'Connor (1-3, 0-1 free), Dylan Lyne (1-1). Subs. - David Gouldson (0-1) for Barry (36), Aaron Breen for Gouldson, black card (45), Jack Devereux for Lyne (50), Michael Codd for O'Keeffe (57), Kyle Firman for Furlong (60+2).

Knockbeg: Jack Lawlor (0-2, 1 free, 1 '45); Kevin Byrne, Oran O'Flaherty, Caélan Mulhall; Mark McDermott, Shane Bolger (capt, 1-1), Ryan Carberry; Jim Nolan, Martin Maloney; Tom Glynn, Conor Crowley (0-4, 3 frees), Eoin McGlinchey; Conor Nolan (0-1), John Byrne (0-1), Michael Doran (0-1 free). Subs. - Adam Duggan for McGlinchey (41), Ciaran Fitzpatrick (0-1) for Moloney (44), Darragh Phelan for Nolan (53), David Cox for Doran (57), M. Doran for Carberry (58).

Referee: David Coady (Kildare)

Wexford People

Most Read