Sunday 20 October 2019

Starlights advance to Under-21 semis

Dave Devereux

A Dale Donohoe goal just after the re-start spurred Starlights on to a convincing win over Forth and Bargy Gaels in the Greenstar Under-21 football Premier championship quarter-final in Bellefield on Saturday.

Starlights 2-12 Forth and Bargy 0-10

The half was only 20 seconds old when Donohoe gathered an inch-perfect pass from Ryan Mahon and slotted the ball home to put Starlights firmly in the driving seat.

Gaels were right in it at half-time, trailing by 0-6 to 0-5, but that three-pointer ignited the Enniscorthy side and with their forwards finding the range, they never looked like losing their grip on the game thereafter.

The contest got off to a pedestrian start and the opening point didn't arrive until the ninth minute, when Nick Doyle split the posts to put Starlights in front.

However, that proved to be the catalyst for a flurry of scores and the sides had shared half a dozen points between them within six minutes, with Timmy Dwyer and Dale Donohoe adding to Doyle's opener for Starlights and Donal Shanley, Jim Rossiter and Quinn Saunders replying for Forth and Bargy Gaels.

Dale Galway fired over a point to nose Starlights back in front in the 21st minute before the lively Darragh Pepper brought the game to life with two scores in the space of three minutes to give the Enniscorthy town side a 0-6 to 0-3 advantage.

The combination outfit finished the half strongly though and Donal Shanley slotted over an injury time free, followed by a fine Jim Rossiter score on the run to leave them just a point adrift at the break.

However, the players had barely taken their positions for the second-half when Donohoe's goal put daylight between the sides, and the impressive Darragh Pepper rubbed further salt in the wounds when he fired over a point four minutes later.

Forth and Bargy Gaels did manage to tack on the next two points through Donal Shanley (free) and Cathal Devereux, with Ryan Mahon responding, but when Starlights added their second goal it was pretty much over as a contest.

Corner-forward Mahon was again the provider, as his handpass found the inrushing Nick Doyle who shot low to the net to give the Enniscorthy men a 2-8 to 0-7 advantage.

Darragh Pepper completed a fine afternoon's work by adding another couple of points to his tally, while Dillon Redmond and Kevin Ryan also got in on the scoring act for the accomplished winners.

Starlights: Mick O'Toole; Ben Edwards, Daniel O'Brien, Seán Cloherty; Dillon Redmond (0-1), Kevin Foley, Anthony Roche; Liam Ryan, Kevin Ryan (0-1); Dale Galway (0-1), Nick Doyle (1-1), Darragh Pepper (0-5); Ryan Mahon (0-1), Timmy Dwyer (0-1), Dale Donohoe (1-1). Subs. - Gary Murphy for Dwyer, Declan Courtney for Doyle, Ryan Hadley for Foley, Michael Farrell for Pepper, Ciarán Cronin for Donohoe.

Forth and Bargy Gaels: Eoin Cummins; Ian Redmond, Seán Finan (0-1), Matt Homan; Quinn Saunders (0-1), Naomhan Rossiter, Cathal Devereux (0-1); Jim Rossiter (0-2), Shay Boggan; Eoin Wright, Donal Shanley (0-5, 4 frees), Cian Boggan; Darragh Heffernan, Jason Pettit, Jack Pettit. Subs. - Conor O'Reilly for Wright, Andrew Morris for Boggan.

Referee: Eddie O'Sullivan (Kilanerin).

Wexford People

Most Read