Thursday 22 August 2019

Taghmon march on

Ballyhogue bow out to neighbours

Dave Devereux

Taghmon-Camross kept their championship ambitions intact and in turn ended Ballyhogue's hopes with a determined display in a fast-paced Lodgewood Engineering Intermediate football Group A encounter in Killurin on Sunday.

Taghmon-Camross 3-9 Ballyhogue 0-12

Two first-half goals really laid the foundations for the Taghmon-Camross victory, helping them to a 2-8 to 0-5 interval lead, and although Ballyhogue posed more problems after the break they were unable to bridge the gap.

Taghmon-Camross showed their intent from the throw-in and were two points up in as many minutes with Barry O'Gorman and Seamie McLoughlin splitting the posts.

However, seconds later they could have been behind but for a fine save from goalkeeper Seán O'Gorman when Seán Rochford tried his luck.

Ballyhogue did manage to get their noses in front with the next three points coming from Seán Ring and Noel Roche (two).

Páuric O'Gorman and Seán Ring then exchanged points before Pierce Doyle grabbed the opening goal in the 14th minute with a neat finish to give Taghmon-Camross a 1-3 to 0-4 advantage.

They raised the green flag for a second time in the 26th minute when Stephen O'Gorman gathered a pass from Eoin Doyle and coolly found the net to make it 2-5 to 0-5, and they finished the half on a high with points from Eoin Doyle, Darren Carty and Seamie McLoughlin (free).

Ballyhogue made three changes at the break and it seemed to have the desired effect as they got the first five points of the second-half.

Noel Roche fired over three frees while Eddie Galavan and Gavin Doyle added a point apiece as Ballyhogue closed the gap to four points (2-8 to 0-10) after 40 minutes.

Seamie McLoughlin stopped the rot for Taghmon-Camross with a free but a brace of points from Noel Roche brought Ballyhogue back within three with seven minutes remaining.

However, Darren Carty settled any Taghmon-Camross nerves with a powerful finish to the back of the net to see his side through at their opponents' expense.

Taghmon-Camross: Seán O'Gorman; Pat Nolan, Alan Nolan, Jimmy Doran; Mark O'Gorman, Ian Carty, Stephen Stafford; Barry O'Gorman (0-1), Stephen O'Gorman (1-1); Darren Carty (1-1), Jason McLoughlin, Páuric O'Gorman (0-1 free); Pierce Doyle (1-0), Seamie McLoughlin (0-4, 3 frees), Eoin Doyle (0-1). Subs. - Richie Comerford for P. O'Gorman, Luke Sinnott for Doyle, Johnny Waters for Carty, Matthew Doyle for M. O'Gorman.

Ballyhogue: Myles Roche; Tomás Moriarty, Graham Parker, Conor Byrne; Arthur Dunne, Shane Doyle, James Parle; Syl Byrne, Liam Kelly; Seán Ring (0-2), Eddie Galavan (0-1), John Kehoe (0-1); Denis Leacy, Seán Rochford, Noel Roche (0-7, 5 frees). Subs. - Micheál Long for Leacy, Shane Byrne for Dunne, Gavin Doyle (0-1) for Ring, Jim Bob Levingstone for Rochford, Daniel Pim for S. Byrne.

Referee: Barry Redmond (Clonard).

Wexford People

Most Read