Friday 15 December 2017

Taghmon through, derby final versus Hogues next

Brendan Furlong in St. Patrick's Park

Ian Carty from Taghmon-Camross breaks away from Réalt na Mara's Gavin Walker
Ian Carty from Taghmon-Camross breaks away from Réalt na Mara's Gavin Walker

Having enjoyed the perfect start, Taghmon-Camross went on to a comfortable 15-point victory over Réalt na Mara in this 2015 Under-21 football Roinn 1 championship semi-final at St. Patrick's Park, Enniscorthy, on Saturday.

Taghmon-Camross 3-11 Réalt na Mara 1-2

Apart from a spell in the second quarter, the losers were unable to match the more fluent-moving Taghmon-Camross outfit. With the Réalt na Mara attack unable to make a worthwhile impression, it was only a matter of time before the south county side translated their possession into scores as they ran riot in the closing stages.

Taghmon-Camross, under the guidance of former Wexford and Kildare manager, Jason Ryan, were the more organised and skilful side as they moved the ball at pace, while the ability of the players to utilise the open spaces led to numerous well-executed scores, particularly through the final quarter.

As a result of this victory they have now set up an intriguing final clash with neighbours Ballyhogue, a game that should prove a fitting climax to this much-delayed championship.

The eventual winners made light of the atrocious underfoot conditions, streaking into a three-point lead inside the opening three minutes through efforts from Stephen O'Gorman, Pierce Doyle and a Luke Sinnott free. Réalt na Mara had to wait until the ninth minute before they opened their account through a Shane Quinn free.

Taghmon-Camross came close to increasing their lead when what appeared a goalbound shot from Stuart Murphy came back into play off the upright. Approaching the end of the opening quarter, Pierce Doyle utilised his speed to create space but his shot for goal was spilled by 'keeper Oisín Willoughby, leaving the lurking Stephen O'Gorman to tap the loose ball to the net.

A Shane Quinn pointed 18th-minute free reduced the deficit, while Stephen O'Gorman responded with a fine individual point before a Jack Doyle goal left just two points separating the sides (1-4 to 1-2) after 24 minutes. Approaching the break a Luke Sinnott pointed free gave the eventual winners a 1-5 to 1-2 interval lead.

Réalt na Mara did most of the pressing on the resumption, with Shane Quinn kicking a free wide. Having weathered this initial period of pressure, Taghmon-Camross gradually wrested the initiative back with Luke Sinnott pointing two frees, while a further Pierce Doyle effort left them leading by 1-8 to 1-2 at the end of the third quarter.

Some of the play from Taghmon-Camross in the final quarter was excellent, leading to goals from Pierce Doyle and Luke Sinnott as they cantered to a comprehensive victory, with their opponents failing to register even one second-half score.

Taghmon-Camross: Jack Dunne; James Carroll, Jack Murphy, David O'Keeffe; Lee Hayden, Ian Carty, Conor O'Keeffe; Darren Carty, Stephen O'Gorman (1-2); Stephen Stafford, Adam Winters, Barry Og McGrath; Stuart Murphy, Pierce Doyle (1-3), Luke Sinnott (1-6, 0-4 frees). Subs. - Shane Doyle for Winters, Darren Hayden for S. Murphy, Anthony Doyle for McGrath, Stephen O'Keeffe for Sinnott.

Réalt na Mara: Oisín Willoughby; Darragh Cahill, Philip Doyle, Gavin Morris; Paddy Fleming, Darren Morris, Tom Sinnott; Brian O'Connor, Gavin Walker; Oisín Dunbar, Dylan Sweeney, Mikey Burke; Cormac Moore, Shane Quinn (0-2 frees), Jack Doyle (1-0). Subs. - Dara O'Toole for Dunbar, James Sinnott for D. Morris (black card), Conor Dowling for Sweeney.

Referee: Aiden O'Brien (Cloughbawn).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links