Tuesday 12 December 2017

Taghmon-Camross have two points to spare

Taghmon-Camross survived a late rally from St. Mary's (Rosslare) to scrape through to the Enniscorthy Electrical Wholsesale Junior hurling championship semi-finals in New Ross on Saturday.

Taghmon-Camross 2-16 St. Mary's (Rosslare) 2-14

Despite being the better team throughout most of the match, Taghmon-Camross just about held on after two Tiarnan Rossiter goals made for a nervy ending. St. Mary's battled bravely in the closing stages but fell just short in the end.

Both teams measured each other up in the opening five minutes but Lee Devereux hit the first of his eleven points to open the scoring, and this was quickly cancelled out by a well-taken point from Stephen O'Gorman.

O'Gorman then moved his team clear when he took on the defence with a mazy run and fired to the back of the net for the first goal.

Devereux continued to convert his frees to keep St. Mary's in the game, but after Barry O'Gorman and Pierce Doyle had both pointed, Richard Comerford was on the end of a terrific move to bang in Taghmon's second goal.

Doyle and Comerford added two more scores soon after but Robert Butler, Tiarnan Rossiter and Larry Morrissey replied for the Rosslare side who went in at half-time trailing by 2-6 to 0-8.

Two more Devereux frees put just two between the teams early in the second-half, but the impressive Pierce Doyle hit three fine scores to keep the Taghmon-Camross men in control.

St. Mary's late rally was set in motion when Tiarnan Rossiter found the net after 23 minutes, and just a minute later he grabbed his second, somehow managing to get on the end of a sideline ball to tap home from close range.

Another Devereux free put just one point between the teams but Stephen O'Gorman picked off two late points to secure victory for Taghmon-Camross.

It was a brave performance from St. Mary's but Taghmon-Camross were calm and composed in attack and deserved their victory in the end. They will now take on Tara Rocks in the semi-final.

Taghmon-Camross: Seán O'Gorman; Mark O'Gorman, Robert Nolan, Adam Winters; Ian Carty, Alan Nolan, Darren Carty; Pat Nolan, Barry O'Gorman (0-1); Richard Comerford (1-2), Johnny Waters, Stephen Stafford; Pierce Doyle (0-8, 3 frees), Stephen O'Gorman (1-5), T.J. Codd. Subs. - Luke Sinnott for Stafford, Tomás Furlong for D. Carty, Michael O'Gorman for Codd.

St. Mary's: Kevin Driver; Gearóid Byrne, Conor Cafferkey, Aaron Kavanagh; Eamon Power, Naomhan Rossiter, Niall Walsh; James Sheil, Tiarnan Rossiter (2-1); Robert Butler (0-1), David Murphy, Paul Kinsella; Barry Quirke, Peter Carr, Lee Devereux (0-11, 10 frees). Subs. - Larry Morrissey (0-1) for Cafferkey, Ultan Quirke for B. Quirke, Emmet Byrne for Walsh, Shay Boggan for Sheil.

Referee: Anthony Tobin (Geraldine O'Hanrahans).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links