Thursday 14 December 2017

Taghmon-Camross show they will take some stopping

Dave Devereux

Taghmon-Camross showcased their title credentials with a comprehensive win over Faythe Harriers in Group A of the Enniscorthy Electrical Wholesale Junior hurling championship in a windy Bree.

Taghmon-Camross 3-15 Faythe Harriers 0-8

Both sides were safely through to the quarter-finals before throw-in, but it was Taghmon-Camross who finished the group stage on a high with their inside forwards Pierce Doyle, Richard Comerford and Stephen O'Gorman bagging an impressive 3-10 between them.

Playing with the stiff breeze in the first-half, they were determined to build up a commanding advantage and they did just that, leading by 2-9 to 0-1 at the break.

Taghmon-Camross already had two points on the board through Pierce Doyle (free) and Darren Carty when Richard Comerford gathered a long delivery from solid centre-back Alan Nolan and fired to the back of the net in the seventh minute.

Doyle added another two points from placed balls and the second goal came with 13 minutes on the clock when Stephen O'Gorman raised the green flag.

Stephen Kearney got the Harriers off the mark in the 17th minute but the holy trinity in the Taghmon-Camross full-forward line continued to find the range and midfielder Barry O'Gorman also got in on the scoring act with a fine long-range point.

The daunting half-time deficit had Faythe Harriers on the back foot and Taghmon-Camross managed to outscore the Wexford town men by 1-6 to 0-7 playing against the elements.

Harriers midfielder Shane Wilde fired over five points while substitute Wayne Mallon added two more but the pivotal score was a 37th-minute goal from Stephen O'Gorman when he cleverly batted the ball to the net to suck the life out of any hopes of a comeback.

Conor O'Keeffe, Pierce Doyle (three), Barry O'Gorman and Johnny Waters also fired over points for Taghmon-Camross as they coped admirably with playing into the strong wind.

Their quarter-final opponents will be confirmed after the Ferns v. Bannow-Ballymitty re-fixture.

Taghmon-Camross: Seán O'Gorman; Mark O'Gorman, Robert Nolan, Jack Murphy; Ian Carty, Alan Nolan, Darren Carty (0-1); Pat Nolan, Barry O'Gorman (0-2); Stephen Stafford, Johnny Waters (0-1), Conor O'Keeffe (0-1); Pierce Doyle (0-8, 6 frees), Richard Comerford (1-1), Stephen O'Gorman (2-1). Subs. - Páuric O'Gorman for Murphy, Thomas Furlong for I. Carty, T.J. Codd for Stephen O'Gorman.

Faythe Harriers: Aaron Lacey; Stephen Cummins, Fran Cleary, Cillian Lawlor; Tomás Campbell, Jack Murphy, Fiach O Crúalaíoch; Shane Wilde (0-5, 2 frees, 1 '65), Damien Roche; Daniel Lynch, Eoin Roche, P.J. Mooney; Stephen Kearney (0-1), Brian Denton, Paul Gannon. Subs. - Wayne Mallon (0-2) for Mooney, Cormac Byrne for Murphy, John Gannon for Campbell, Ben O'Brien for Gannon, Mooney for Lynch.

Referee: Brendan Martin (Ballyhogue).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links