Monday 11 December 2017

The late, late show

Monageer snatch last-gasp victory

Brendan Furlong

Two goals in additional time handed Monageer-Boolavogue a dramatic late victory over luckless Blackwater in this exciting Enniscorthy Farm Systems Junior football championship quarter-final at St. Patrick's Park, Enniscorthy, on Saturday.

Monageer-Boolavogue 2-6 Blackwater 0-7

It was a powerful finishing flourish from the eventual winners who up to then looked as if they were on their way out of the championship, as a battling 14-man Blackwater, who had captain Michael Lillis straight red-carded just five minutes into the second-half, still looked like prevailing until those dramatic final minutes.

Substitute Robbie Breen dramatically put his side in front by 1-6 to 0-7 as the game had entered the final minute of additional time. Having gained possession out on the wing, he made some ground before lobbing what looked like a speculative ball high into the goalmouth, which ultimately ended in the left corner of the net having deceived 'keeper Robert O'Leary and a number of players struggling to gain possession.

With Monageer-Boolavogue now having their tails up, they launched further attacks but two minutes into additional time full-back Chris Daly, who had moved forward out of defence, gathered a high dropping ball on the 14-metre line to rifle a low shot to the bottom corner of the net, giving his side a semi-final spot in the most dramatic of circumstances.

Blackwater must take credit for their part in an eventful game. They played most of the quality football through the opening 30 minutes, at the end of which they led by 0-4 to 0-3, and but for erratic finishing their lead would have been far greater.

Their two opening points came through Kerril Sutton, with further points being added through Joe Neville and Michael Lillis to give them a 0-4 to 0-1 lead at the end of the opening quarter, their opponents' response coming from Matty Dunne.

Points from Mick Sweeney and Cathal Walsh (free) left the minimum separating the sides at the break.

After Dean Whelan stretched his side's lead on the resumption, then came the Lillis sending-off following an incident in midfield.

Still, with points from Kerril Sutton and Conor Sutton, Blackwater stretched into a 0-7 to 0-4 lead after 47 minutes, with a Chris Daly point being the opposition's solitary reply after 38 minutes.

Points from Matty Dunne (free) and Niall O'Reilly left the minimum separating the sides with ten minutes remaining, before that late dramatic late goal flourish from the Monageer-Boolavogue men.

Monageer-Boolavogue: Seán McCabe; John Darcy, Chris Daly (1-1), Morgan Gahan; Paddy Breen, Brian O'Loughlin, Niall O'Reilly (0-1); Seán Roche, Conal Nolan; James Gahan, Cathal Walsh (0-1 free), Mick Sweeney (0-1); James Sweeney, Matthew Dunne (0-2, 1 free), Damien Fenlon. Subs. - Ian Hawkins for J. Gahan, Robbie Breen (1-0) for J. Sweeney, inj.

Blackwater: Robert O'Leary; Dec O'Leary, Anthony Roche, Mark Donoghue; Diarmuid Murphy, Kevin O'Brien, Dean Whelan (0-1); Dean Wright, Michael Lillis (0-1); Denis Carroll, Lar Lacey, Kerril Sutton (0-3); Conor Sutton (0-1 free), Joe Neville (0-1), Paul Murphy. Subs. - Darren Byrne for Donoghue, Dylan Dixon for P. Murphy, Shane Wright for D. O'Leary.

Referee: Stephen Burke (Volunteers).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links