Sunday 21 January 2018

Two quick goals give St Anne's comfortable win

By Brendan Furlong

Darragh Pepper(Starlights) Francis Simpson (St Anne's)
Darragh Pepper(Starlights) Francis Simpson (St Anne's)
Jason Russell (Starlights) Liam Rochford(St Anne's)
Jack Kelly_Rory O'Connor (Starlights) Mark Furlong(St Anne's)
Liam Ryan (Starlights) Michael O'Brien (St Anne's)
David Fogarty (St Anne's)
Tomas Mahon (Starlights) David Fogarty (St Anne's)
Redmond Barry (St Anne's)
Kevin Courtney(Starlights) Francis Simpson (St Anne's)

TWO goals in a four minute spell in the first half set up St. Anne’s for an eventual comfortable eight point victory over Starlights in this Tom doyle Supplies senior football championship game played at Innovate Wexford Park on Saturday evening last.

St Anne's 2-13 Starlights 1-8

For a time it looked as if Starlights were capable of upsetting their opponents particularly with Liam Ryan prominent out of midfield and it could have been different had the inter-county hurler goaled inside a minute of the start, having powered his way through the defence, he saw his low shot rebound low off the upright with keeper Richard Cleary well beaten.

A goal at that stage would have provided a huge boost but after an even opening ten minutes it was the south county side who gradually assumed control, as the experienced David Fogarty and Doc O’Connor began to establish themselves in midfield.

Following Ryan initial effort for goal it was the Starlights who took the lead through a second minute Ryan Mahon point but St. Anne’s were back level within a minute through a Sean Gaul pointed freed.

One minute later Liam Og McGovern following neat approach football set up Frannie Simpson but he somehow pulled his shot wide from the edge of the square with a goal at his mercy. Liam Rochford and the impressive Jack Kelly traded points, before a punched effort from Eamonn Furlong restored his sides single point lead 0-3 to 0-2.

Then came a four minute spell which changed the course of the game. Nine minutes in Red Barry set up Simpson who atoned for his earlier miss with a low shot to the net, while four minutes later it was the turn of Mark Furlong who blazed high into the net, giving his side a 2-2 to 0-3 lead.

As the game moved into the second quarter, Starlights resurrected their bid when full-forward Eamonn Furlong finished a cross to the net, but even the loss of Red Barry through injury could not undermine the challenge of St. Anne’s who through points from two Gaul frees, Liam Rochford and Diarmuid O’Keeffe went in leading, 2-6 to 1-5 at the interval, with both Tomas Mahon and Jack Kelly managing points in between.

St. Anne’s generally dictated the game on the resumption. After Jack Murphy had extended his sides lead, two points in quick succession from sub Ricky Fox kept the Cathedral town side in touch. Gaul fine run and point and Ricky Fox went on to exchange points. Fox’s thirty-eighth minute point proved his sides final score as St. Anne’s finished the closing quarter in total control adding further points through two Gaul free, Frannie Simpson, Liam Rochford and Jack Murphy to take two valuable points.

Online Editors

Promoted Links