Tuesday 20 August 2019

Unruly finish as Ferns forge first win

Dean Goodison

A farcical ending to the game overshadowed Ferns St. Aidan's maiden victory in this season's Enniscorthy Electrical Wholesale Junior hurling championship Group B in St. Patrick's Park on Wednesday.

Ferns St.Aidan's 2-14 St.Mary's (R'lare) 1-15

Ferns had taken the lead courtesy of a superbly-taken overhead pull goal by Peter Codd just as the third quarter gave way to the fourth (2-10 to 1-12).

From that point on St. Mary's chipped away but were countered by a Ferns score every time they got within one.

The Wexford District club still trailed by two in added-time - a scoreline that eventually turned out to be the full-time result - when they were awarded a free 20 metres from goal.

Lee Devereux arrowed the dead ball towards the top corner of the net, only for it to be tipped away for a '65 - although there was some suggestion that it flopped over the bar for what would have been a point.

As it was a '65 was awarded and was about to be taken. However, in the meantime the scoreboard had gone awry (stating 2-14 to 1-16) and, while trying to ascertain the correct score from flustered referee Jack Stafford, Rosslare were penalised for wasting their own time.

Stafford proceeded to throw the ball in and he immediately blew the full-time whistle. What had just transpired enraged St. Mary's to such an extent that David Murphy was shown a straight red card, after full-time, for foul and abusive language towards the match official.

It wasn't the first moment of controversy in the game for the former Wexford footballer, having seen a point that looked to have gone wide, and was signalled wide by the umpire in the first-half, being overturned by Stafford.

It meant that Rosslare took a 1-9 to 1-7 lead in at the break after Lee Devereux's well-taken early goal was countered by a pulled major from a tight angle from in-form Ferns attacker Paddy O'Leary.

With Murphy and Devereux hitting the target in the second-half, St. Mary's stayed ahead until Codd struck and they could never quite recover.

Ferns keep their hopes alive of reaching the last eight while Rosslare are still in the mix too.

Ferns St. Aidan's: Edward Cullen; Brian O'Neill, Patrick Codd (0-2), Peter Nolan; P.J. O'Neill, Seán Walsh, John O'Leary; Anthony Dwyer (capt., 0-6, 4 frees), Keith Breen; Peter Codd (1-0), Jamie Whelan, Peter O'Toole (0-2); Andy Cash, Paddy O'Leary (1-4), Ben Cowman. Sub. - Johnny Kearns for Cowman, inj. (25).

St. Mary's: Kevin Driver; Niall Walsh, Conor Cafferkey, Aaron Kavanagh; Eamonn Power, Seán Finan, Gearóid Byrne; James Sheil (capt.), Larry Morrissey; Paul Kinsella (0-1), David Murphy (0-4), Robert Butler; Lee Devereux (1-9, 0-6 frees), Andrew Murphy, Barry Quirke (0-1). Subs. - Shane Sinnott for Butler, inj. (25), Andy Cummins for Kinsella, inj. (37).

Referee: Jack Stafford (Clongeen).

Wexford People

Most Read