Friday 23 August 2019

Walsh claims vital goal

All-county hurling league semi-finals

St James' fought back from six points down with 15 minutes remaining to overcome Adamstown and progress to the All-County Hurling League Division 7 final in Mersheen on Sunday.

St James' 2-12 Adamstown 1-13

Adamstown full-forward John Connors scored three early points, one from play and two from placed balls within the first five minutes.

St. James' then fought back with three scores of their own, with centre-forward Jason O'Grady getting a point from distance to open their account before Joe Walsh got the opening goal after Paul Delaney's clearance wasn't dealt with and he slotted home from close range.

Michael O'Grady then pointed form a free to leave St. James' 1-2 to 0-3 up after 15 minutes.

John Connors set up corner-forward Harry Cosgrave well and he slotted to the net from close range to peg the home side back and regain the lead for Adamstown.

Shane Bradley and Tomás French pointed from distance for the visitors before Donal Barron scored a fine point on the run and Jason O'Grady got his second. Wing-forward Eoin Furlong slotted over from a tight angle after a scramble in the area to leave Adamstown ahead at the break by 1-6 to 1-4.

Jason O'Grady pointed two long-range frees while Connors added another free.

Adamstown then had a good spell as they scored five points without reply to leave them six clear with just a quarter of the game left.

Three Connors frees featured, while wing-back Pat Delaney excellently set up Shane Bradley who split the posts before Delaney himself pointed a fine individual score to leave Adamstown 1-12 to 1-6 clear.

St. James' burst into life in the last quarter though, and they outscored the visitors by eight points.

Michael O'Grady was the main architect of these scores as he pointed two close-range frees and another two from play, one on the left, one on the right, to leave two between the sides.

The crucial score came with eight minutes remaining when John Crosbie slipped a pass inside to Joe Walsh and when one-on-one he made no mistake to rattle the net and leave the scores 2-10 to 1-12.

John Connors pointed a free to level with minutes remaining before John Crosbie pointed from play and Michael O'Grady added another as St. James' fought back to reach the final against St. Anne's.

St. James': Simon Murphy; Tom Crosbie, David Doyle, Podge Culleton; Tommy Walsh, Adam Long, Podge Murphy; Donal Barron (0-1), Willie Murphy; Michael O'Grady (0-7, 4 frees), Jason O'Grady (0-3, 1 free), Paddy Walsh; John Ryan, John Crosbie (0-1), Joe Walsh (2-0). Subs. - Greg Doyle for P. Murphy (50), Robert Murphy for W. Murphy (52), Enda Crosbie for T. Crosbie (55).

Adamstown: Paul Delaney; Mosey Delaney, Seán Breen, Michael Doran; Pat Delaney (0-1), Thomas Furlong, Eamon Lawlor; Tomás Harrington, Tomás French (0-1); Shane Bradley (0-2), Andrew English, Eoin Furlong (0-1); Harry Cosgrave (1-0), John Connors (0-8, 7 frees), Mick Foley. Subs. - Jack Curtis for French, inj. (30), Michael Curtis for Lawlor, inj. (30), Liam Stafford for Foley (50), Lee White for E. Furlong (58).

Referee: Henry Sinnott (Bannow-Ballymitty).

Wexford People

Most Read