Monday 22 January 2018

Whitty hits key scores

Dave Devereux

Six of the best from Paddy Whitty helped Adamstown bounce back from an opening round defeat and out-point Shamrocks in Group A of The Courtyard Ferns Intermediate hurling championship in Bree on Saturday.

Adamstown 0-15 Shamrocks 0-13

Whitty's six-point haul, particularly four on the trot in the first-half, was pivotal in a game that was always going to be decided on small margins.

That purple patch helped Adamstown to a 0-10 to 0-6 advantage at the break, and although Shamrocks whittled the lead down to a point as the clock ticked into second-half injury time, Tony French sealed the deal with a late free.

Paddy Whitty may have won the plaudits for his scoring exploits, but Adamstown full-back P.J. Carroll also deserves immense credit for his performance, as time and time again he came away with the ball and coolly cleared the danger.

A booming effort from Eddie Weafer levelled the scores at 0-4 apiece on 19 minutes, but an equally impressive reply from Paddy Whitty seconds later kick-started a period of dominance for the New Ross District side, with sharp-shooter Whitty at the heart of the action.

The full-forward helped himself to three quick-fire points in the space of two minutes to really make his presence felt, and Seán Barden then split the posts to stretch the lead to five.

A point from hard-working midfielder Seán Wildes on 27 minutes served as a timely reminder that Shamrocks were still very much up for the challenge, although Shane O'Gorman quickly nullified that effort by firing over a beautiful point while off balance.

Two Harry Goff scores either side of the half-time break put Shamrocks back within striking distance (0-10 to 0-7) but Adamstown stretched the lead to five once more, with Barry Power and Paddy Whitty pointing.

Shamrocks substitute John O'Connor certainly had an impact on the game, and his shot on goal was tipped over the bar by Adamstown goalkeeper Paul Delaney, before a Bob Jacob free meant just a goal separated the sides.

The gap remained at three with eight minutes remaining with points from Tony French (free) and Seán Barden being cancelled out by Seán Wildes and a John O'Connor free, and when O'Connor converted another placed ball and grabbed a score from play as the game entered injury time it was all to play for.

However, Tony French held his nerve to convert a free in the third minute of injury time and get a vital win for Adamstown.

Adamstown: Paul Delaney; Ian Bradley, P.J. Carroll, Vinnie Doheny; Johnny Connors, James Breen, Brendan Furlong; Tomás French, Lorcan French; Shane O'Gorman (0-1), John French, Tony French (0-4 frees), Seán Barden (0-2), Paddy Whitty (0-6), Barry Power (0-2). Subs. - Harry Cosgrave for O'Gorman (temp.), J.P. Furlong for B. Furlong, Harry Cosgrave for Barden, Michael Curtis for J. French.

Shamrocks: Daithí Murphy; Barry Dobbs, Mick Weafer, Philip Freeman; Lar McDonald, Bob Jacob (0-2 frees), George Jacob; Jim Jacob, Seán Wildes (0-3); Eddie Weafer (0-1), Anthony Wallace (0-1), Podge Dwyer; Cyril Thorpe, Podge Doyle, Harry Goff (0-2). Subs. - John O'Connor (0-4, 2 frees) for Thorpe, Brandon O'Connor for J. Jacob (temp.), Brandon O'Connor for Dwyer, Emmet Quirke for Dobbs.

Referee: Dan Crosby (Kilmore).

Wexford People

Promoted Links