Sunday 18 August 2019

Woeful show from Wexford

Intermediate side crushed

Dean Goodison

A woeful Wexford were butchered by a rampant Cork side in their latest Liberty Insurance All-Ireland Intermediate camogie championship clash in the Sarsfields G.A.A. club grounds, Riverstown on Saturday.

Cork 0-17 Wexford 0-2

The Slaneysiders looked completely lost, devoid of ideas and of direction as the Rebellettes notched point after point to move closer to a place in the semi-finals.

Incredibly, despite the loss, Wexford will almost certainly go into their final game on Saturday week against Meath with their hopes of reaching the last four still intact.

However, it's hard to see where a winning performance might come from after this debacle. Wexford had one decent spell for a few minutes in the first-half, where they swatted four wides and saw a couple of shots saved, but were otherwise completely outplayed.

To be fair to the management, they are doing their best but their indecision on picking and sticking with a system is boiling over onto the pitch and the players look mystified as to what they are supposed to be doing.

The lack of direction was further evident in the refusal to make a change until the 45th minute when Louise Stafford was introduced after a hasty warm-up. The team is clearly not full of world-beaters but they are developing players and they are a lot better than this showing. Cork led by 0-4 to nil when Ellen Kelly forced Amy Lee into a save above her head. It was the same duo battling it out again shortly after when the corner-forward's shot low to the right was smartly saved by the hosts' stopper.

Kelly did point the resulting '45 but Wexford still trailed by 0-7 to 0-1 at half-time, with Amanda O'Regan doing the bulk of the damage with five points.

There was even less by way of goalmouth action for the visitors after the resumption. O'Regan hit double digits by the 48th minute as Cork eased 0-15 to 0-1 ahead.

Louise Sinnott missed a free wide left just moments before she notched her side's second point, again from a dead ball, with three minutes remaining.

The majestic O'Regan rounded out the scoring a minute later for Cork to leave Wexford needing victory over Meath and a little luck elsewhere to stay in the championship.

Wexford: Deirdre Colfer; Nancy Dunphy, Farren Byrne, Aisling O'Connor (capt.); Marguerite Doyle, Nessa Wickham, Marie Claire Morrissey; Louise Sinnott (0-1 free), Brídín Doyle; Michelle Martin, Deirdre McMahon, Amy Ryan; Ellen Kelly (0-1 '45), Ellen Roche, Marie Morrissey. Subs. - Louise Stafford for Kelly (45), Anna Whitty for Ryan (46), Doireann Kavanagh for Dunphy (48).

Cork: Amy Lee; Ellen Murphy, Leah Weste, Niamh O'Keeffe; Sarah Fahy (0-1), Sarah Buckley, Hazel O'Regan; Katelynn Hickey (0-1), Lauren Callanan; Jacinta Crowley (0-1), Chloe Sigerson, Finola Neville (0-1); Rachel Harty, Amanda O'Regan (capt., 0-11, 9 frees), Linda Collins (0-1). Subs. - Caroline Sugrue (0-1) for Harty (41), Libby Coppinger for Sigerson (45), Sarah Harrington for H. O'Regan (48), Niamh O'Callaghan for Hickey (51), Leah McEvoy for Crowley (53).

Referee: Jenny Byrne (Dublin).

Wexford People

Most Read