Saturday 21 September 2019

Harriers edge score-fest


FAYTHE HARRIERS' clinical finishing in front of goal proved to be the difference in this highlyentertaining and close-fought Junior hurling championship game with Oylegate-Glenbrien in Hollymount on Friday last.

Although Faythe Harriers looked the stronger side for most of the game, Oylegate-Glenbrien fought their way back into contention on a number of occasions, but led by deadly-accurate fullforward Jason Murphy, the Harriers were never going to let their lead slip and showed a lot of conviction to finish with a win.

The sides exchanged scores in the opening minutes through John McCormack and Brian Denton before Pádraig O'Connor did well to find the net with a tidy finish for Oylegate-Glenbrien.

This good start was outdone immediately, however, as Jason Murphy answered back with a goal and a point, with John Walsh also chipping in with a point.

Brian Doran levelled matters on the ten-minute mark but that was when Murphy really started to show his worth as the Harriers marksman accounted for the next four points, being helped by Ben O'Brien and Denton shortly afterwards to put the Harriers six points clear.

Oylegate-Glenbrien did their best to keep themselves in it as Doran pointed two more frees and O'Connor found the net a second time before the Harriers replied with points from Alex Lynch and John Walsh just before half-time to leave four between the sides.

O'Connor was proving to be a thorn in the Harriers defence and grabbed his third goal immediately after the break, before Jason Murphy and Brian Doran exchanged scores to leave the minimum between the sides.

The Harriers accounted for the next three scores thanks to Murphy and Michael Hanrahan, and seemed to be pulling away, but OylegateGlenbrien got themselves back level thanks a goaled penalty from Doran and a point from John Lambert midway through the half.

With it all to play for now, both sides really went at it but the Harriers just seemed to be that much more effective in front of goal. Paul and Jason Murphy put them well in front going into the final five minutes as both players registered a goal and a point each with some classy play.

This didn't stop Oylegate-Glenbrien from trying to get something out of the game though, and two points from Doran and one from O'Connor along with a goal from David Phillips left them within touching distance going into the final minute.

But time was not on their side and Jason Murphy fittingly had the last say with a sweet point in the final moments to give Faythe Harriers a welldeserved third win, leaving Oylegate-Glenbrien still in search of their first victory.

Faythe Harriers: Aaron Lacey; Nicky Murphy, Colm Maher, Cillian Lawlor; Alex Lynch (0-1), Paul Murphy (11), Peter Furlong; Ross Lynch, Fran Cleary; Michael Hanrahan (0-1), Darren Caulfield, John Walsh (0-2); Brian Denton (0-2), Jason Murphy (2-10, 0-6 frees, 0-1 '65), Ben O'Brien (0-1).

Oylegate-Glenbrien: James Doyle; Patrick Butler, David Doyle, John Reck; Stephen O'Connor, Adrian Nolan, John Lambert (0-1); John McCormack (0-1 free), Mark Kavanagh; Mark Morris, Jim White, Brian Doran (1-6, 0-5 frees, 1-0 pen., 0-1 '65); Mark Gordon, Pádraig O'Connor (3-1), David Phillips (1-0). Subs. - Conor Heffernan for Gordon, Micheál Doyle for Butler.

Referee: Niall McDonald (Crossabeg-Ballymurn).

Most Read