Saturday 18 November 2017

Kilmore seal semi-final spot

Kilmore 1-11 Craanford 1-7

Dean Goodison at St Patrick's Park

Kilmore scored the only four points in extra-time to manoeuvre their way into the last four of the Joyces Expert Intermediate 'A' football championship in St. Patrick's Park on Saturday.

Things were not looking good for the Wexford District side when Joe Berney burst forward and hit the target to put Craanford into the lead for just the second time in the contest in the 59th minute, but that wasn't the end of matters.

Two minutes into added time Denis Kenny and Martin Frayne combined to find Tommy Cousins and he kicked a superb point to level the game for the sixth occasion (1-7 each). They even had a chance to win it in the next attack but watched on in agony as Kenny's shot struck the inside of the upright and rebounded out.

However, Kilmore dominated extra-time as Craanford, held together with a smattering of players from their Junior 'B' side the night before, lost their way. Daithí Moore took just seconds of extra-time to put his side ahead.

They went into the change of ends two points up after substitute Eoin Cooney hit the target. Tom Byrne increased the advantage to a goal in the 71st minute and Kenny wrapped up victory with a close-range point two minutes later.

Earlier, Craanford got off to a positive start and netted within four minutes. Mick Lyons was the catalyst, breaking from deep. He hit Niall Berney on the run, and the midfielder in turn drew defenders and fed Ger Lyons who made no mistake from close range.

The eventual victors weren't behind for too long. Tom Byrne started the game in good form, and his bursting run took two defenders out of the game before he fed Daithí Moore, and Kilmore's number 11 rattled the roof of the net.

Shane Goff's cracking point on the stroke of half-time gave Kilmore a 1-4 to 1-2 lead. However, the 'Ford took just seven second-half minutes to get level after points from Ger Lyons and Pat Murray.

The game was tight through the remainder of the half. Kilmore kept edging in front until Berney's late point. But Craanford couldn't hold on and it's the seasiders who move into the championship semi-finals.

Kilmore: Kevin Casey; Alan Jones, Stevie Cousins, Martin Frayne; Aaron Kielty, Tommy Cousins (0-1), Shane Cousins; Noel Casey, Denis Kenny (0-1); Aaron Goff, Daithí Moore (1-5, 0-3 frees), Shane Goff (0-1); Tom Byrne (0-2), John Mernagh, Mark Sinnott. Subs. - Conor Moore for S. Goff (47), Eoin Cooney (0-1) for Sinnott (47), Paddy Scallan for A. Goff (75).

Craanford: Bob Flynn; Pat Kenny, James Byrne (capt.), Mick Sinnott; Joe Berney (0-1), Michael O'Loughlin, Des Kavanagh; Niall Berney, Martin Doyle; Mick Lyons, Pat Murray (0-4, 2 frees), Tony Kavanagh; Ger Lyons (1-1, 0-1 free), Matthew Nolan (0-1), John Fleming. Sub. - Jim Redmond for Fleming (31).

Referee: Jack Stafford (Clongeen).

Wexford People

Promoted Links