Monday 11 December 2017

Bad weather leads to an early finish

Gorey got back to business in the Leinster League after the long Christmas break with a home game against Monkstown on Saturday.

The weather conditions of the past month or more had made the pitch very greasy on top but, with conditions dry overhead, it was all systems go as both teams took to the field.

The game started with the visitors setting the pace and moving the ball with purpose, but the home players were not found wanting and marshalled their threat comfortably.

First blood went to the visitors though when they were awarded a penalty. Heavy rain had now arrived and the already difficult conditions were slowly starting to deteriorate as both teams tried their best.

Gorey drew level when Stephen Duke landed a penalty, after 'Town were penalised in front of the posts following a sustained spell of Gorey pressure.

The second-half, in hindsight, probably never should have started as the pitch began to hold water all over. The home team upped the ante and should have crossed for a try but a determined Monkstown defence kept their line intact.

Gorey did score from another Stephen Duke penalty, but the refereee decided that conditions were now getting into lifeboat territory as the entire pitch was now holding water almost everywhere. No date is set for the replay yet.

Next week sees Gorey travel to Suttonians with a 2.30 p.m. kick-off.

Team: R. Deering, F. Bolger, D. Bellanova, S. Gardiner, A. Copeland, W. Earle, J.P. Redmond, J.P. Ahern, S. Horan, S. Duke, S. O'Leary, M. Bater, E. Walsh, A. Walsh, G. Bater, B. O'Connor, S. Byrne, J. Condren, D. Carroll, C. Power.

Monkstown 36, Gorey 24: The Gorey J2s also entertained Monkstown on Saturday in a cracking, high-scoring game that was entertaining from start to finish.

Both teams were lucky that the conditions, that marred the J1 game, had not arrived early. Monkstown crossed for the opening try as they split the Gorey defence, but it was not long until the home team drew level after the ever-alert John Condren intercepted to score under the posts for Clinton Furney to convert.

Gorey were soon on the attack again and went in front with a try after some good play saw Conor Hatton cross the line. A further Clinton Furney penalty and a Monkstown try saw the half-time score at 15-12 to the home team.

The second-half saw the visitors go into the lead with an early try. Good Gorey play saw the visitors penalised for Clinton Furney to knock over the penalty, but Monkstown upped the pressure and scored a fantastic try as they stretched the Gorey defence.

Monkstown now had their tails up and two further tries saw them finish the stronger to secure the points. Gorey never gave up and worked hard to get back into the home team's half, and an Aidan O'Brien penalty saw them reduce the lead to 36-24.

Gorey had some good performances with Aidan O'Brien and Conor Hatton the pick of the backs. Niall Cousins, John Fanning and Donnchadh Carroll worked hard in the forwards. Next week sees Gorey travel to Suttonians with a 1 p.m. kick-off.

Team: N. Rothwell, Z. Sinnott, J. Mulligan, P. Swaine, J. Fanning, K. Breen, N. Cousins, D. Carroll, C. Furney, A. O'Brien, S. Carty, C. Power, S. Byrne, J. Condren, C. Hatton, S. Rafferty, T. Tomkins, E. Horan, W. Kearney, C. French.

Gorey J3s had a home fixture with AIB which kicked off at the same time as the J1s.

After an entertaining first-half the referee called a halt to proceedings at half-time due to the worsening conditions.

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links