Sunday 19 November 2017

Bonus point boost

This action shot of Matt Bater sums up the awful conditions which marred Saturday's encounter
This action shot of Matt Bater sums up the awful conditions which marred Saturday's encounter
Stephen Gardiner and his Gorey colleagues are still pushing table-toppers Enniscorthy hard despite Saturday's loss to fellow title-chasers DLSP

Gorey travelled to DLSP on Saturday for a crunch top of the table Leinster League Division 1A clash as second played third.

DLSP 23 Gorey 21

Gorey were without a number of regulars, due to exams and injuries, but still managed to run the home team close. With the J2 game having been called off after torrential rain all morning, it was doubtful if the J1 fixture would go ahead. With water lying on the pitch, the referee decided to let the match proceed.

DSLP started the brighter and in the ninth minute opened the scoring with a penalty after the visitors were penalised at the breakdown. Five minutes later they added another penalty after some good work by their pack.

Gorey came more into the game, as they adapted to the slippery conditions, and made good ground on a number of occasions, only to be penalised as the DSLP line came into view.

On 30 minutes Gorey's number six, William Earle, was sin-binned and it was not long until the numerical advantage paid off as De La Salle scored a try to extend their lead to 13-0. That was the way it remained until half-time.

Gorey started the second-half intent on reversing the deficit. With Jordan Aherne and Stephen Gardiner working hard, it was not long until the visitors were deep in the Salmo half.

They were also now edging the scrums and remained camped on the home line. After repeated infringements by Salmo, a penalty try was awarded for Aidan O'Brien to convert.

Both teams battled hard with the conditions, as the pitch was now deteriorating, but the home team scored next to extend their lead to 18-7. Good work from their backs saw them run in a try.

The never-say-die attitude of Gorey saw them reduce the deficit with a try by Matt Bater which was converted by Clinton Furney to leave one score between the teams at 18-14.

Gorey kept up the pressure but again could not get the break to take the lead, and with two minutes left on the clock Salmo scored another try to take the score to 23-14.

It looked as if Gorey had also missed out on the bonus point but up popped Andrew Walshe to score a fine try, for Clinton Furney to convert, to leave two between the teams at 23-21 for Gorey to secure a very valuable bonus point.

Gorey had some big performances, with Matt Bater and Andrew Walshe the pick of the backs while Darragh Bellanova, Jordan Aherne and Stephen Gardiner performed well in the pack, with the outstanding William Earle the man of the match.

The next game will be at home to Monkstown after the welcome Christmas break.

Team: C. Allen, F. Bolger, D. Bellanova, S. Gardiner, J.P. Redmond, W. Earle, A. Copeland, J. Ahern, M. Bater, A. O'Brien, S. Byrne, E. Walshe, S. O'Leary, G. Bater, A Walshe, B. O'Connor, J. Mulligan, N. Cousins, C. Power, C. Furney.

Wexford People

Promoted Links