Wednesday 23 October 2019

Club Call

Barntown Community Centre On Saturday nmorning the Irish National Kickboxing Team were ngetting ready to go to Benidorm. The Team
Barntown Community Centre On Saturday nmorning the Irish National Kickboxing Team were ngetting ready to go to Benidorm. The Team

Gorey Rugby - Gorey and New Ross have played multiple times in the past season with every game being very tight with no more than a score in it. This South-East Plate final was no exception.

Gorey pressed early through their forwards, ably led by their powerful front row of Kyle McLoughlin, J.J. O'Neill and Gavin Murray, but the first score went to New Ross, which was a breakaway try scored by their captain, Seán Kinsella.

But Gorey's heads never went down and with great passing from the backs they got the ball out to their full-back, Kevin Budeanu, to score in the corner.

As play went on, New Ross got a scrum in the middle of the park. Gorey hadn't learnt their lesson and like before, Seán Kinsella broke again, running half the length of the pitch and scoring under the posts, with Daniel Behan converting.

Again Gorey came back strong and with some good work from their forwards, and after several phases of play, Kyle McLoughlin managed to go over the line for Gorey's second try.

Coming close to half-time, Gorey attacked again through excellent forward play. When the ball came back to their scrum-half, George Slattery saw a gap and went for it. With some excellent sidesteps and a dummy pass, he was clean through and went in for Gorey's third try. A good conversion from Seáiní Quirke left Gorey 17-12 up at half-time.

Gorey made some changes at the break, with Paddy Darcy, Cian Molloy and Chris Montague joining the back line and Oisín O'Hagan and Donnacha Cooke joining the pack. The second-half was a very tight affair with pressure being applied by both teams.

With Hugh O'Brien's excellent distribution and Gorey's outside centre, Jack Colclough, carrying strongly with ball in hand, the New Ross defence held firm. With New Ross pressing in the Gorey '22, the full-back, Kevin Wall, fielded a relieving kick by Gorey.

He ran an excellent line and off-loaded well to his winger, Jamie Power, who ran in a try under the posts, with Daniel Behan again converting, making the score 19-17 to New Ross.

Nearing the end of the match with tensions rising, Gorey had to score. They kept it tight, making metre by metre until they were within striking distance of the New Ross try line. With time running out, Gorey's captain, Alex Simpson, went low and got over the line in the corner to put Gorey three points ahead.

From the kick-off, Gorey held onto the ball and went through phase after phase until the referee finally blew the whistle to end a very pulsating game. Two very good teams had given both sets of coaches and parents not just an entertaining game but one where the lead had changed on several occasions and ended with an extremely nervous finish.

Gorey: Kyle McLoughlin, J.J. O'Neill, Gavin Murray, Owen Austin, Liam Bates, Pat Doyle, Joe Tallon, Alex Simpson, George Slattery, Seáiní Quirke, Eoin Coleman, Hugh O'Brien, Jack Colclough, Beau Willis, Kevin Budeanu, Donnacha Cooke, Oisín O'Hagan, Seán Timmons, Michael O'Connor, Paddy Darcy, Chris Montague, Jake Kinsella, Cian Molloy, Callum Popplewell.

The Gorey Under-18 girls kicked off their season on Saturday with a great win over Naas. From the beginning, the Gorey women were strong, creating most of the play, but Naas got a lucky break after 15 minutes.

Gorey answered that after a line-out on the Naas '22, with a strong run from Daisy Earle and some lovely support play from Niamh Doran, who received Daisy's off-load and got some points on the board for Gorey.

The first try was the spark that built Gorey's confidence, with some lovely running and off-loading by Michelle Dunne and Steise Bergin who got a great break down the right wing and popped it to Orla McNeil for Gorey's second try.

Not long after that, Gorey's dominant scrums, and a few breaks from Clodagh Murphy and Hannah Woods, led to Joanne Smith crashing over the try line with help from Olivia Daly-Tallon.

Naas got another break from a scrum on their '22, but their hopes of a try were soon gone as Tess O'Brien came out with a bone-crunching tackle on the number 12, pushing her into touch. Gorey's last try of the first-half came from Orla Molloy, who sprinted up the right wing, cutting through the Naas defence.

Gorey received the ball from the kick-off to start the second-half. Yvonne Hoey thundered up the field with support on her shoulders from Laura O'Donovan and Kim Austin.

Alice Canavan was soon pushed over the try line by Emma Peters for Gorey's first try of the second-half. Gorey fought hard but got a few unlucky penalties against them, letting Naas get over the line for their second try.

Gorey surely weren't going to let that happen again, with impressive tackles and rucking from Mignon Strydom and Gráinne Hughes resulting with a great break from Caoimhe Molloy, who battled through Naas players to get in for a try.

For the remainder on the game, Gorey were a step ahead. Orla Molloy and Joanna Chrobak were alert, catching any kicks from Naas. Great lines from Chloe Bates and Niamh Doran gave Alice Canavan the opportunity to get over the try line for the second time.

Naas won a line-out on their own '22 and attempted a kick for touch, but that was denied as Clodagh Murphy blocked it down and gave possession to Gorey. A scrum on the five-metre line gave Yvonne Hoey a chance but the try was deemed to be held up.

That didn't happen the second time as Yvonne gave a lovely pass to Caoimhe Molloy who slipped through the Naas defence for her second try. The final score was 42-10.


As the evenings draw shorter, competitions are becoming scarce. On Thursday, October 8, we did, however, hold an open gents' Seniors event sponsored by Jimmy Hogan.

A very respectable 132 men took part. The winner of the overall prize was David Keane (13) with 38 points. The Over-50s winner was our hard-working Hon. Secretary Paul Leacy (12) with 37 points on the back nine, and second place went to Thomas Donovan (New Ross, 14), also with 37 points.

The Over-60s winner was Danny Kearney (19), 37 points, with Joe Murphy (9), 36 points in second place.

The Over-70s winner was Tom Conway (20), 35 points, and in second place was Charlie O'Brien (20), 32 points.

The Over-80s winner was Denis Coughlan (19), 35 points, and second was Dan Conroy (Courtown, 28) with 33 points. C.S.S. was 36 points. Congratulations to all our prize-winners.

Stephen Fitzpatrick is once again running the PGA winter series this year. The competition format is a 14-hole stableford. You just need to play a minimum of twice between now and February to have a chance of winning a trip for two to Druid's Glen.

Next Sunday, October 18, is round two of the series. The bar opening hours have been reduced from October 26 until March, 2016. Check for details on our website or Facebook page.


Early golfers playing in the singles stableford competition on Tuesday, October 6, sponsored by Karl Martin, were lucky to escape the torrential rain which later led to the closing of the course.

The competition has been transferred to Tuesday, October 13, and we will all hope for better conditions. The presentation is at 8.30 p.m.

Following closely in the same week is the Martin Doyle Classic, a highlight in the club calendar. This is a scramble with starting time at 9.30 a.m., a shotgun start followed by lunch and presentation in the clubhouse. Teams consist of high, middle and low handicaps.

Entry is €10 and includes food. The timesheet closes at 5.30 p.m. on Thursday, October 15. Players are advised to arrive at the club as close as possible to 9 a.m. in order to meet playing partners, find the starting point and to be ready for the tee-off at 9.30 p.m.

October 24, 25 and 26 are all open four-person team events sponsored by the club.

Both club matchplay competitions are up and running and the second round is in action from October 11. All information on progress so far is on the noticeboard in the locker room.

The next Book Club meeting is on Tuesday, October 27.


Hamper: 1, Breda Brennan (16), 33 points; 2, Anne Ryan (9), 31 points; gross, Ann Lynch; 3, Kathleen Hill (20), 27 points.

Hamper sponsored by Frank D'Arcy: 1, Patricia Magee (7), 33 points; 2, Mary Loughlin (24), 32 points; 3, Rita O'Neill (19), 32 points.


The Wexford Academy of Martial Arts attended a very special event on Saturday at Barntown Community Centre.

A whopping 13 members from the Wexford Academy met their fellow team-mates from Team Ireland who will all be traveling to this year's Unified World Kickboxing Championships which are due to be held in Benidorm, Spain next month.

This world championship is no ordinary event as many of the world's most infamous kickboxing organisations have come together in order to form a unified world championships. What does this mean?

It means that our local athletes will be going out to Spain to take on the world's best fighters. It is fast becoming one of the world's most prestigious sporting events.

Local Wexford man and chief instructor of the Wexford Academy, Billy Murphy, is leading this Irish contingent. He became the President of the World Kickboxing Association in Ireland a couple of years ago and has done amazing things since in order to promote the sport both locally and nationally.

As mentioned, a huge number of fighters from the Model county are heading to Spain. There are quite a few Junior members including James O'Keeffe, Dylan Mooney, Dylan Donnelly, Josh Carley, Lee Dempsey, Craig Browne, Jack Browne, Courtney Smith and Kelsey Sutton.

There are also some very impressive Senior members going, such as Jim Fogarty, Marc Keane, Alice Power and Grace Banville.

All of these fighters have been a part of an intense training camp over the last few months and while many of them hold a variety of national and international titles, it is evident that the fighters from the Wexford Academy are going for glory at these world championships.

Indeed, they brought home an impressive haul of silverware from the last championships, however, they're all still aiming for the gold!

They are all also extremely excited to not only represent their county, but their country.

Club members and W.K.A. judges Aidan Scallan and George Carley will also be on international duty as they have been selected to judge and referee fights that will take place at the championships. Coaches, Stephen and Elaine Murphy, have also been selected as team coaches this year and are looking forward to guiding these athletes to victory.

Best of luck to Billy and all of the members from the Wexford Academy of Martial Arts travelling to the World Kickboxing Championships.


Enniscorthy Hockey Club Senior men's firsts had their first outing in the Leinster Junior Cup on Saturday as they made the trip up the M11 to East Glendalough School in Wicklow town for the first south-east derby of the season, with the hosts emerging with a narrow 2-1 win.

Wicklow started strongly, putting in the first attacking move, but through defender Andrew Rothwell, Enniscorthy cleared the ball to safety.

The visitors then counter-attacked, with Clive Rothwell sending an aerial ball over the heads of the midfielders to find his forwards and the away team got a shot in, but the effort was saved by the Wicklow goalkeeper.

The game settled down into a typical cup tie, with tension fizzling throughout. It was last year's Division 6 runners-up who struck first.

Wicklow attacked down the left-hand side, and the ball was fed across the goalmouth to find centre-forward James O'Sullivan - a man that many of the Enniscorthy players know well from their days of playing together with the now-defunct South East Wanderers.

It only took a minute for Enniscorthy to fight back and find the back of the net through an attack down the right. The Garden county men attempted to clear the ball from defence, but it found an Enniscorthy stick, which raised the ball off the ground enough for the oncoming Keith Ogilvie to meet it in mid-air with a brilliantly-struck goal

Wicklow in reply went on the attack straight away but the County Wexford side's goalkeeper, Graham Hill, was more than up to the task and cleared the ball from a two-on-one attack on his goal.

Wicklow lost their goalscorer in the late stages of the first-half as O'Sullivan had to be helped off the pitch.

The Slaneysiders started the second period strongly with a number of attacks on the Wicklow goal but a second could not be found. Hill was called upon once again from a beautifully-struck reverse shot by Wicklow's David Nuzum, the latter aiming the ball just inside the left post, but the Enniscorthy captain produced a fearless dive to get a hand to the ball.

Shortly after Wicklow found the back of the net, but it was disallowed as the shot came from outside the Enniscorthy circle. Enniscorthy tried hard to create goalscoring opportunities but Wicklow's defence was strong and kept the attacks at bay.

With 15 minutes to go Wicklow were awarded a controversial penalty flick and Nuzum was summoned to take it, with his strike arcing high into the top left corner and out of the reach of the diving Graham Hill. Enniscorthy put everything into the remainder of the match but were unable to find an equaliser.

Enniscorthy now turn their attention back to the league, with an encounter against St. Brendan's Phoenix Park in their third match of Division 5 taking place on Saturday at the Astro Active Centre.

Enniscorthy: Graham Hill, Andrew Rothwell, Cathal Ó Súilleabháin, Clive Rothwell, Martyn Vietch, David Simmons, Keith Ogilvie, Glenn Chapman, Liam Jowett, Roy Chapman, Niall Maguire, Edmundas Liuikimas, Daithí Medcalf.

Enniscorthy ladies' hockey had a busy weekend, playing Wexford firsts in the Astro Active on Sunday morning, after their win there on Friday evening against Kilkenny seconds.

Under the guidance of coach Ivanna Yates and manager Irene Doyle, Enniscorthy ladies' fought hard on Sunday, but were unable to keep Wexford's attack at bay, losing 1-0.

They had continued their winning streak on Friday with a 3-0 victory over Kilkenny seconds, following on from their thrilling win over Gorey on the previous Sunday.

Midway through the first-half pressure on the Kilkenny defence - with midfielders Gemma Kelly and Deirdre Kehoe combining with forwards Lisa Frayne and Sonja Rynhart - was rewarded with Enniscorthy's first short corner.

A short, quick pass from Molly Boyne to captain Lisa Frayne on the side of the semi-circle resulted in a powerful shot from Frayne hitting the backboard, giving Enniscorthy the lead. The Cathedral town side continued to press the Kilkenny defence, but the visitors were dangerous on the break, piling pressure on the Enniscorthy defence, although the line held.

Kilkenny were not giving in easily and early in the new half a swift counter-attack caught Enniscorthy with numbers high up the pitch and goalie Fiona Rothwell - in her debut season with the club - was left in a one-on-one with the Kilkenny striker, but a massive diving save from Rothwell kept the Cats at bay.

Enniscorthy had some near misses in the second-half before the pressure told. Enniscorthy's second goal came from a reverse stick dive from Sonja Rynhart, who was unlucky not to have a second goal minutes later.

Shortly after, Rynhart added a second goal when she fired home following a highly-accurate pass from midfielder Gemma Kelly.

Enniscorthy: Fiona Rothwell, Molly Boyne, Katie Owen, Leah Chapman, Olive Lett, Serena Hatton, Laura O'Leary, Gemma Kelly, Deirdre Kehoe, Sonja Rynhart, Lisa Frayne, Emma Doyle, Nancy Dunphy, Lisa Tyghe, Karri Clifford.

Wexford People