Wednesday 16 October 2019

Club Call

Andrew Rothwell
Andrew Rothwell
John Milne


Table-topping Gorey women were on the road again last weekend, their fourth consecutive match away in the Leinster League. The opponents were Greystones.

The awful conditions didn't suit Gorey's usual gameplan, but hard work by the pack got them off to a flying start. After several phases Gorey spread it wide and Orla Power capitalised under the posts, while Jessica Foote was successful with the conversion.

It was deja vu a few minutes later, with Orla going over for a second try. Greystones started to pick up steam and dominated at line-out time. Number 8 Sophie Carr was unlucky not to score after breaking away from a well-organised maul.

Gorey got themselves on the scoresheet again. This time winger Katie Doyle finished off an excellent break from out-half Ciara Breen. Half-time came and the Greystones numbers 10 and 12, Donna McFaul and Taragh Hanley, started to become a real menace to the Gorey ladies.

Gorey's Róisín Murphy sealed the bonus point. Not only was it her debut for the club, but her first touch of the ball!

The game then turned into a battle of the forwards, and Nuala Kelly and Sam Wafer made tackle after tackle to keep Greystones at bay. Lorraine Gahan finished off the scoring after some lovely footwork from scrum-half Lauren Farrell to make it 31-0.

Gorey: Samantha Wafer, Tara Wilkinson-Jackson, Valerie Conyard, Clodagh Carroll, Jessica Foote, Chloé Breen, Nuala Kelly (capt.), Anna Nolan, Maeve Bolger, Ciara Breen, Katie Doyle, Orla Power, Aoife Crowe, Sarah Killick, Ann Cumiskey, Lorraine Furney, Maria Breen, Elaine Colfer, Maeve Farrell, Lauren Farrell-McCabe, Sinéad Brennan, Róisín Ní Mhurchú, Eimear Hickey, Robyn Burton, Lorraine Gahan.

Gorey are playing at home on the Sunday, November 15, against Garda. All support will be welcome.

Carlow were the visitors to Gorey on Saturday for the latest round of Under-13 South East League fixtures.

The match kicked off at 2 p.m. so thankfully the weather was much improved by that time and the pitch was in great condition. Both teams have been doing well of late but Gorey were determined to maintain their winning start to the league by finishing a sequence of three home games with another win.

Playing with a strong wind behind them for the first-half, it wasn't long before they got on the scoreboard. Brian Cushe crossed the line in the fourth minute having being put through on the wing by some fine passing along the back line, and shortly thereafter he was to do so again.

It was no more than Brian deserved as this was his first game in almost a year, but he had returned to training in late August, knowing that he wouldn't be fully recovered from injury until now.

Gorey continued to keep Carlow pinned in their own half with further tries then being scored by Michal Kruczek, Shamey O'Hagan and John Milne. John's try was pretty special as he caught a Carlow re-start and evaded several tackles before going over. Shamey and Lee added three conversions between them, leaving the score at 31-0 at half-time.

In the second-half Carlow, with the wind now behind them, came back in to it. However, strong defence from Gorey continued to keep them well away from their own try line and eventually Gorey got back on top.

They went close a few times with Cathal Byrne and Cillian Byrne almost being put in on either wing, before they added to the scoreboard when a fine pass from John Milne released Lee Cushe who went over in the left-hand corner.

Michal Kruczek then made a great break from just inside the Carlow half and burst through some defenders to go in under the posts, with Lee adding the extras.

Michal also made a tackle that prevented a certain Carlow try, hauling down an attacker who had intercepted a loose Gorey pass. Lee rounded things off when he went over under the posts to score a try which he also converted. The score at the final whistle was 50-0.

Gorey had many fine performers. In the pack Ewan Stephens, Daragh Fitzpatrick, Rory Tubritt, Seán Sawyer, George Hadden and Enda McCrea stood out, while in a lively back line Jack Higgins, Lee and Brian Cushe, John Milne, Michal Kruczek and Shamey O'Hagan all impressed.

Team: J. Curley, S. Sawyer, D. Fitzpatrick, E. McCrea, A. Cleary, R. Tubritt, G. Hadden, E. Stephens, J. Higgins, L. Cushe, B. Cushe, J. Milne, M. Kruczek, R. Cleary, S. O'Hagan, P. Kinsella, S. Murphy, K. Byrne, D. Monague, E. Byrne, T. Baxter, L. Bursey, C. Byrne.


The Leinster Intermediate cross-country races were held on Sunday in Kennedy Park just outside New Ross, hosted by local club United Striders.

Unfortunately, after all the hard work to have the course in prime condition, the weather didn't play its part, with torrential downpours overnight and throughout the day leaving parts of the course extremely muddy and wet. Conditions underfoot were heavy in places.

The first Senior race was the Intermediate women's of four km., which consisted of one one km. lap plus two one a half km. laps. Slaney Olympic had three club members taking part with Catherine Murphy first home for the club in ninth place, Emily O'Connor in tenth place and Catherine Walsh finishing in 22nd place. Wexford also won county gold with all three Slaney ladies scoring.

Next up was the men's eight km. race. The men had to run two one km. laps plus four one and a half km. laps. Ger Forde put in a brilliant performance to finish in second place and claim individual silver in a time of 27.23. Also taking part from Slaney Olympic were Billy Reck (36th), Mick Jordan (43rd) and Paul Murphy (73rd).

Full club results: 9, Catherine Murphy, 16.50; 10, Emily O'Connor, 16.51; 22, Catherine Walsh, 17.43; 2, Ger Forde, 27.23; 36, Billy Reck, 31.32; 43, Mick Jordan, 31.49; 73, Paul Murphy, 39.02.

Annis Kehoe was the first club member home in this week's parkrun held in Johnstown Castle in a great time of 25.21. Also taking part from Slaney were Michelle Doyle, finishing in 25.41, and Andy Staff in 28.37. Well done all.

Training continues on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7-8 p.m. at Enniscorthy Sports Hub for club members only, but we are inviting runners who intend joining Slaney Olympic to come along and run on the track and enjoy the experience before joining up. Anyone interested in joining the club, please contact Mag Dunphy on 087-6366905.


Last Saturday in the Astro Active Centre, Enniscorthy Hockey Club first men's team took on Dublin side Y.M.C.A.

Enniscorthy, still in search of a win in the 2015-'16 season, wanted to take up where they left off in Sutton Park the previous weekend where they came away with a share of the points in a 2-2 draw. The south-east men are still in search of a win after some great games and on all occasions finding themselves all square or on the wrong side of some very close scores.

From the starting whistle, the Dubliners came out firing with a string of great attacks. If Enniscorthy were to get a win against the Dubs, they were going to have to fight hard and earn it.

This game saw the return of winger Jason Rothwell, who missed the start of the season due to injury. Enniscorthy were also missing the skill and influence of Glenn Chapman, who was unavailable due to injury.

Multiple Y.M.C.A. short corners in the first-half threatened the scoreline, but some excellent defence from Clive Rothwell, Keith Ogilvie, Andrew Rothwell and Roy Chapman, and superb saves from 'keeper Graham Hill, ensured that Y.M.C.A's attacking shots did not result in an Enniscorthy deficit.

Both sides also had plenty of chances to hit the opposition backboard, but neither teams' efforts resulted in a change in score. Unfortunately, Cathal Ó Súilleabháin's shots at goal ran wide, albeit not for a lack of effort.

Good runs from Liam Jowett and John McWey also put pressure on the Y.M.C.A. defence, as Enniscorthy upped the ante in the second-half. The final whistle blew leaving the teams even at 0-0.

Enniscorthy men's firsts now look ahead to their next league meeting against St. James' Gate in the Iveagh Grounds, Dublin, on Saturday, November 21.

Enniscorthy: Graham Hill, Andrew Rothwell, Keith Ogilvie, Clive Rothwell, Martyn Vietch, David Simmons, Cathal Ó Súilleabháin, Roy Chapman, Daithí Medcalf, Liam Jowett, John McWey, Edmundas Liuikimas, Jacob English. Coach: Donal Doyle; manager: Fraser Rothwell.


Three of the Slaney Sharks swimmers took part in the Leinster winter championship gala which was held in the National Aquatic Centre over the Halloween weekend.

All three swimmers had fantastic results and each received personal best times.

Jack Nolan-Whitney, aged 14, swam the boys' 100m butterfly in a time of 1.07.74, taking 0.17 seconds from his previous time. He then went on to receive another personal best in the 50m freestyle with a time of 28.66 (-0.05).

Jack put in a phenomenal performance when he completed his weekend with the 1,500M freestyle when he took 46.61 seconds off his previous time, giving him a personal best of 19.05.39.

Matilda Dunne-Cronin, aged 16, was also on top form over the weekend when she received a personal best time of 1.15.50 (-2.89) in the girls' 100M I.M. She also gave a very strong performance when she swam her 50m freestyle in a time of 30.10 (-0.48), receiving another personal best time.

Matilda also swam the 100m backstroke in a time of 1.17.36, and the 400m freestyle in a time of 5.13.97.

Seán Bookey, aged 16, competed in four events over the weekend, receiving a personal best time of 28.88 (-0.52) in the boys' 50m freestyle. Seán also went on to swim the 200m freestyle in a time of 2.20.10, the 100m butterfly in a time of 1.07.76, and finished his weekend with the 100m I.M. in a time of 1.13.33.

The swimmers would like to thank their coach, Liam Murphy, who was very pleased with their results.

Wexford People