Saturday 20 January 2018

Club call

Robert Cullen, Lukas Wiacek and Oisín Cullen of St. Mary's C.B.S. (Enniscorthy) try to halt Sam Kennedy (Coláiste Bhríde, Carnew) in the McMullen Cup semi-final in Gorey on Thursday
Robert Cullen, Lukas Wiacek and Oisín Cullen of St. Mary's C.B.S. (Enniscorthy) try to halt Sam Kennedy (Coláiste Bhríde, Carnew) in the McMullen Cup semi-final in Gorey on Thursday
John Peare of Moyne Rangers 'B' shields the ball from John Breen (Bunclody) in the Neil O'Sullivan Cup clash in Bunclody on Sunday which the home side won 2-1 after extra-time
Jack Redmond takes on the Y.M.C.A. defence in Enniscorthy's hockey defeat on Sunday

Slaney Olympic A.C: The postponed Waterford half-marathon, due to be staged in December but called off due to the bad weather, was held on Saturday in better, brighter weather conditions.

Slaney Olympic had a large contingent out with David Kehoe the first man home for the club in 1.21.29, and Anne Marie Nolan first lady home in 1.45.08. There were lots of first-time half-marathon runners and lots of PBs recorded, so well done to everyone who took part.

Full club results: David Kehoe 1.21.29, Paul Browne 1.23.04, Mick Jordan 1.24.11, Michael Finn 1.24.53, Will Doyle 1.28.26, Brendan Dillon 1.33.20, Pat Codd 1.35.00, Joe Whelan 1.34.53, Tom O'Shea 1.35.36, Eamon Saunders 1.35.59, Ger Murphy 1.39.54, Dooley French 1.44.28, Anne Marie Nolan 1.45.08, Pat Hennessy 1.45.47, Michael Quigley 1.50.24, Mag Cahill 1.50.40, Michael Coughlan 1.51.21, Sunday Nzerem 1.52.30, Seamus Jordan 1.53.24, Sarah Maher 1.54.04, Michelle Murphy 1.56.04, Tom Crofts 1.57.08, Clodagh Connolly 1.56.58, Deirdre B. Kavanagh 1.57.09, Vincent Byrne 1.57.24, Karen Tull 1.58.34, Joanne Murphy 1.58.49, Patrick Rooney 1.59.35, Gretta Roberts-Tyrell 2.00.47, Jim Kehoe 2.04.13, Tracy Kavanagh 2.04.32, Bernie Millar 2.05.12, Lynda Murphy 2.12.12, Yvonne Rossiter 2.15.55.

Slaney Olympic's Ger Forde was the winner in the Johnstown Castle Parkrun held on Saturday in a time of 15.44. First lady home from the club was Michelle Doyle in 31.04.

Full club results: Ger Forde 15.44, Jim Stafford 17.52, Michael Thorpe 23.40, Michelle Doyle 31.04, Lar Doyle 31.11, Danielle Dempsey 37.19, Brigid Doyle 38.51, Andy Staff 38.56.

A warm Slaney welcome to new members Marti Rudd, Thomas Doyle, Michael Coughlan, Yvonne Rossiter, Mary Ní Ghuairim, Maura Neville and Joanne Murphy.

Date for the diary: Enniscorthy 10k, February 14.

Training continues on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7-8 p.m. at Enniscorthy Sports Hub for club members only, but we are inviting runners who intend joining Slaney Olympic to come along and run on the track and enjoy the experience before joining up. Anyone interested in joining the club, please contact Mag Dunphy on 087-6366905.

S.B.R. A.C.

The Masters cross-country was held in Coolgreany recently, hosted by Croghan A.C. in very mucky ground conditions.

First off was the ladies' 4k race and representing S.B.R. were Ciara Bowe, Belinda Kehoe, Lillian Lawless and Claire Gibbons. They put in a gallant effort to secure the silver team medal and Lillian won the Over-45 category.

Next up were the men with Noel Kennedy, Trevor Conroy, Paul Lynch, Paul Gibbons, Bernard Fortune, Billy Harpur and Tom Kavanagh putting in a brilliant effort to secure team gold. Tom was first Over-65 and Billy was first in the Over-70 category.

Brian Kearney and Myles Gibbons had to pull up due to injury. Well done to all in difficult conditions on this brilliant start to 2016.

The Waterford A.C. half-marathon took place on Saturday after being postponed prior to Christmas due to the weather conditions. Ten members travelled down to take their place on the start line in perfect running conditions.

First home for the club was Eugene Doherty in 1.25, and the first lady was Mary Carton in 2.05.

Full club results: Eugene Doherty 1.25, Shane Gregan 1.30, Pa Cronin 1.53, Pat Crean 1.57, Shea O'Neill 2.02, Mary Carton 2.05, Francis Murphy 2.12, Mairéad O'Neill 2.12, Tom Kavanagh 2.12, Mag O'Leary-Doyle 2.15, Stephen O'Leary 2.37.

Well done to all. For Shea, Mary, Francis and Mag, it was their first half-marathon to undertake, so a special well done to them.

Our Annual General Meeting will take place on Friday, January 22, in Ferns Community Centre at 8 p.m. Club membership registration will take place prior to the A.G.M. from 7 to 8 p.m. All are welcome.


Enniscorthy's second string men's eleven began the new year on the wrong side of a 1-0 scoreline on Saturday.

Despite starting the brighter, the Wexford men made few opportunities and were unable to seriously threaten an experienced St. James' Gate side who proved adept at countering a largely one-dimensional display from Enniscorthy.

Both sides suffered from the weather conditions; darkening skies and near-torrential downpours lead to the floodlights at the Astro Active Centre being switched on in the early afternoon.

The hosts suffered a major loss through injury in defence when Greg Hawkins hobbled off with just over ten minutes remaining. Five minutes later the Gate men won a short corner; defender Mick Jordan received his marching orders to halfway for crossing the goal-line prematurely and this eased the pressure on visiting receiver Paul Kennedy.

Timing his shot to perfection, he was able to beat runner P.J. Pierce and fire past 'keeper Luke Doyle and Kieran Costello. Despite this poor result, one bright point was the return of youngster Liam Jowett after some time away, and the hope is that his form will push him back into contention for a slot with the first team.

Enniscorthy: Alan Smith, David Mulligan, Ivan Rothwell, Mick Jordan, P.J. Pierce, Ciarán O'Leary, Luke Doyle, Conor Tull, Greg Jacob, Jason Rothwell, Jack Redmond, John McWey, Liam Jowett, Kieran Costello, Eamon Sweeney, Jake English.

The south-east side's miserable weekend continued on Sunday as they travelled to Claremont Road in south Dublin for a Cup clash with Y.M.C.A.

The visiting team started the strongest and within twelve minutes had found the back of the net with a goal from Mick Jordan. Unfortunately, with that Y.M.C.A. turned it around and less than a minute after that opening goal, they had managed to put the ball past the Enniscorthy 'keeper.

The two teams fought on, and created some lovely pieces of play. The 17th minute saw Y.M.C.A. obtain their first short corner, from which they were successful in hitting the goal's backboard.

Another Y.M.C.A. player managed to catch Enniscorthy off-guard and score again in the 20th minute from play. Enniscorthy did not let the score get the better of them, and continued in their attempts of evening it up, with shots on the Y.M.C.A. goal narrowly missing out.

Minutes before the end of the first-half, Y.M.C.A. again scored from play, leaving the score at 5-1.

Ten minutes into the second-half, a lovely father-son combination saw the ball making its way from defender David Medcalf up the centre to son Daithí, who executed a fine shot in the circle straight past the Y.M.C.A. goalie.

This boosted the slightly dented confidence of the Enniscorthy players who orchestrated some excellent passages of play from defence to forwards. A flick awarded to the Dublin side saw another point on the scoreboard, as did another short corner for the home side.

Enniscorthy then won two short corners and came close to scoring with a lovely shot by Rory Maguire which ricocheted off both posts before deflecting wide. Enniscorthy 'keeper Luke Doyle also made some beautiful saves throughout, preventing scores with acrobatic dives around the penalty spot.

Minutes before the end, another penalty flick was awarded to Y.M.C.A., with another goal resulting. The final whistle blew, with Enniscorthy feeling the effects of a double-match weekend but not disheartened in their efforts against the strong and experienced Dublin side.

The Enniscorthy men's seconds now focus on their next league encounter with Three Rock Rovers on Saturday, January 16.

Enniscorthy: Luke Doyle, David Mulligan, Ivan Rothwell, P.J. Pierce, Mick Jordan, Andrew Rothwell, Alan Smith, Daithí Medcalf, Ciarán O'Leary, Eamon Sweeney, William Durnan, Jacob English, Rory Maguire, David Medcalf, Jack Redmond, Niall Maguire.

The clash between the Enniscorthy women's second squad and local rivals Wexford firsts resulted in a sombre report. Despite an excellent first-half, our ladies went down 6-0 to the Wexford visitors.

Playing a strong team, Enniscorthy's first game of 2016 was a tough one. Enniscorthy started off in flying form, surprising their opponents in green.

Pressure was consistent all the way down the pitch with some beautiful passes between Enniscorthy outfielders. A special mention goes out to the brave defence, putting their bodies on the line and leaving little for the Enniscorthy goalkeeper, Fiona Rothwell, to fend off.

Closer to the front line, Avril Buttle and Caroline Doyle gave constant support, and forward Lilian Howlin had some lovely shots up front.

The score at half-time was a mere 2-0, with Enniscorthy doing extremely well against the skilful Wexford firsts.

Unfortunately, Enniscorthy were not able to maintain this goal difference throughout the second-half, despite their determination and hard work. Enniscorthy fought hard but ended up allowing Wexford the opportunity to score some simple shots, the first within five minutes. Wexford managed to obtain a few more goals, bringing the final tally to 6-0.

Despite the loss, Enniscorthy are keeping their heads high, and focus now on their next league encounter against Carlow firsts on Sunday, January 17.

Enniscorthy: Fiona Rothwell, Avril Buttle, Niamh Buttle, Lilian Howlin, Caroline Doyle, Stephanie Kinsella, Róisín Bridges, Fiona Breen, Bridget Gainford, Isla Flynn, Róisín O Muirí, Aine O'Brien, Emma Doyle, Elaine Hickey, Meagan Petzke, Kim O'Connor, Aoileann Hourihane.

Manager: Irene Doyle. Coach: Ivanna Yates. Assistant coach: Jacinta Kinsella.

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links