Thursday 23 November 2017

Club call

The Bree A.C. Under-12 relay team (from left): Shane Doran, Ryan Whelan, Robbie Chapman, Seán Rowley
The Bree A.C. Under-12 relay team (from left): Shane Doran, Ryan Whelan, Robbie Chapman, Seán Rowley

New Ross Snooker: The final of the P.J. Browne snooker tournament was held in the Workmen's Club, New Ross, between Alan Rossiter and Dwain Leacy.

The opening frame saw Rossiter forge a decisive 52-29 victory. The second frame was much tighter, with Rossiter building up an early lead, but Leacy finished the stronger and won the frame 55-32.

Dwain had a rather comfortable victory in the third frame, winning 54-11. The fourth frame was the best of the night, with Rossiter taking an early lead before Leacy did some great potting with a break of 30 to put him 20 up going on to the colours.

Alan was having none of it and potted yellow, green and brown, before Dwain potted blue. Alan wanted pink and black to win the frame and go to the fifth, but he made a mistake and Dwain potted pink to win the frame and the match 3-1.

The club would like to thank our sponsor, Browne's Photography, Bridge Street, New Ross. Beaten semi-finalists were Jordan Kennedy and Paul Davey, and the referee was Jamie Lennon.

Newbarn Darts

Well, we are almost there and it looks like we will have a new champion in Jeff Nolan as he leads the field by five points going into the last week. It's still possible for him to be caught though, and if he fails to get out of his group next week it could leave the door open for either David Murphy or Michael Meaney to pip him at the post.

The ladies' section saw Anne Sinnott and Michelle Bradley in the final pairing and Michelle ran out a three legs to nil winner. It now looks like she will finish in second place in the league as Caroline Bradley holds a six-point lead with only one round to play.

Anne was in her first final appearance this year and is hitting a bit of form at the right time as we head to the ladies' play-offs.

The main event as outlined earlier looks like it's Jeff Nolan's to lose, but it's very close down the rest of the table as players fight to get into the all-important top 16 positions and try to stake a claim to reach the super Saturday play-offs.

The first of last week's semi-finals saw Tommy Elms and David Murphy play each other and David was a worthy winner on this occasion. Tommy has really put himself in with a great chance of making the top 16 with the points he gained for this semi-final appearance, and it eases the pressure on him a bit for next week.

Jim Roche and Jack Farragher were in the second semi, and while both of these players are sure of their top 16 place they were playing for a chance of making the final and getting as high up the table as they can. Jack was too good on this occasion for Jim but it could be a very different story if they meet in the play-offs.

David and Jack played out the full five legs to get a winner and it was real nip and tuck as first David took the lead and then Jack levelled the match. Then David regained the lead and with all of the legs going with the darts it was two-all as we went into the fifth leg.

David was in fine form and he saw off Jack in the last leg to move up to second place in the table. Jack though is a real contender and will take some beating from here on.

Finally, the club and its members would like to congratulate Kim White and her partner, Craig, on the birth of their son, Leon, and we wish them all the best for the future. Kay and Nicky have now another grandchild to add to the clan and they should have the latest addition in Newbawn very soon.

St. Martin's Tennis

St. Martin's Tennis Club is currently looking for new members. If interested in joining, please e-mail

Please feel free to let friends and family know. A €20 joining fee applies to all new members (bar under 18s).

Membership rates: family, €175 per annum or €140 early payment rate; adult single, €100 per annum or €80 early payment rate; student over 18, €50 per annum or €40 early payment rate; student under 18, €30 per annum or €20 early payment rate.

Please note that the early payment rate applies to payments received by February 28.

Menapians A.C.

Menapians did well at the Leinster Juvenile championships over the weekend.

Jack Hayden was competing in the triple jump for the first time, having only taken up the discipline two weeks earlier. Jack is certainly showing promise in the event, jumping 11.51 to take the bronze medal.

Both Danika Gilshinan and Róisín O'Reilly qualified for their respective 800m finals with Danika running a very controlled heat. The pace of the finals was too much for the girls and they were just off the medal positions, Danika finishing fourth and Róisín fifth which was good running from both these dedicated athletes.

The Under-15 girls qualified for their relay final with the fastest time out of the heats. They finished third in the final. Well done to Liadh Dwyer, Suzie Brennan, April Keeling and Sabia Doyle. They qualify for the nationals and will be determined to improve on that performance.

The Under-12 girls were very unlucky in their relay heat. Handing over in a leading position, Angeleena took a tumble down the finishing straight. In spite of hopping back up like grease lightning, they were passed and did not progress to the final.

This is a good group of girls and with more experience we look forward to much more from them. Well done to Ailbhe White, Cara Corkery, Sinéad O'Reilly and Angeleena Juddimon.

There were great results in the hurdles. Sam O'Neill won gold in the Under-18, Aaron Tierney-Smith took silver in the Under-17, Chloe Whelan took silver in the Under-19, and Shane was second also in the Under-15.

Liadh Dwyer had an agonising wait while a photo finish was examined and was awarded the bronze. This was a great result for Liadh as she hit one of the hurdles hard.

David McDonald was a comfortable winner of the Under-18 200m in spite of a bad start. Ciarán Maher wisely pulled up in his heat, not risking a tear to his hamstring.

Ailbhe White competed in the Under-12 600m and ran very well with a strong finish. She went on to compete in the long jump with Sinéad O'Reilly. Ailbhe jumped a new personal best of 3.85 to qualify for the last eight.

Nathan Murphy jumped well in the long jump, a little below his P.B. but gaining valuable experience.

Bree A.C.

Bree Athletic Club had a very successful weekend at day one and two of the Leinster indoor championships in Athlone.

To start off our weekend we had a silver medal in the boys' Under-12 relay from the team of Seán Rowley, Shane Doran, Robbie Chapman, Ryan Whelan and Oisín Rochford.

Sophie McCabe made a great start to her 2016 championship by winning gold in the Under-19 triple jump with an impressive jump of 11.22m, and she also won silver in the Under-19 200m.

We had three Under-12 boys competing in the hurdles event. Ryan Whelan had a great race, showing lovely technique and narrowly missing out on a place in the final. Shane Doran had a great heat and an even better final, finishing with a well-earned bronze medal.

Seán Rowley, also competing in the hurdles, found out that anything can happen in sport. Going into the final with the fastest time, he started the race and looked like a cert. for the gold when he hit and fell at the second to last hurdle.

However, in his next event he showed great strength of character as he dusted himself off and, with two bruised knees, jumped himself into third place, earning a bronze medal in the long jump. Shane Doran also made the top eight in this event.

Also in the hurdles was Katie Whelan, who fought out a great race, narrowly missing out on a medal by finishing fourth in the Under-14 60m hurdles.

Darragh Casey had a super run in both heat and final and just missed out on gold but earned a fantastic silver place and qualification to the All-Ireland. Aoife Rochford hadn't been competing for nearly two years but is back in training and looking forward to the outdoor season when she should be back to full fitness.

On Sunday Aoife was using the competition as a gauge to how her training is going and, although a little rusty, she managed to earn a bronze medal in the Under-18 60m hurdles. Congratulations to all and keep up the great work.

The club will be in action again on March 5 for day three of the Leinster indoor championships. There will be no indoor training for the younger age group (7-7.45 p.m. session) on Thursday, February 25.

Enniscorthy hockey

Enniscorthy ladies' firsts and seconds went head to head on Friday at the Astro Active Centre. This fixture has in the past proved to be an entertaining one and this did not disappoint.

As expected, the firsts started the stronger and within the first five minutes they had put together several attacks on goal, but Sonja Rynhart's three attempts were saved by seconds goalie Aoife Foran.

Karri Clifford's attempt was well executed but again, Foran was proving very solid in goal for the second XI. The first XI opened the scoring with ten minutes gone when Karri Clifford's lovely cross into the circle saw Sonja Rynhart converting from the penalty spot.

From Kim O'Connor's hit-out the second XI produced their best sequence of play since the start, with some great passages between Niamh Buttle and Laura Redmond up the right.

The first XI's defence proved resilient to the attack and from this there was a counter-attack involving Lisa Frayne and Nancy Dunphy whose pass linked in to the well-positioned Sonja Rynhart. Her first attempt was saved by Foran in the goal, but when given a second opportunity she converted to make it 2-0 to the first XI.

The first short corner came on the 15-minute mark, and it was followed in quick succession by a second. Anna Flood's well-taken goal was disallowed as the ball was deemed not to have been stopped outside the circle. The half-time score was 2-0 in favour of the first XI.

The re-start saw the first XI continuing as they had left off before the break. A skilful passage of play between Nancy Dunphy and Deirdre Kehoe saw them winning their first short corner of the half.

The corner was well executed, with Deirdre Kehoe directing the ball to Anna Flood whose shot was on target, but she was denied a goal by Foran.

The first goal of the second-half came after a strong break down the middle resulted in a short corner which was skilfully converted by Karri Clifford. Minutes later, the ball was intercepted by Olive Lett on the halfway line, with her pass finding the stick of Nancy Dunphy who found the back of the net to make it 4-0.

The first XI's defence was called into action after the re-start to deal with an attack from Lillian Howlin and Fiona Breen, the ball being well cleared by Aine O'Brien.

She put the first XI back in a strong attacking position, but this time the defence of Róisín O Muirí stopped what looked like a certain goal. Sonja Rynhart converted on one more occasion to secure a hat-trick and the final score stood at 5-0.

This game was in reality about the attacking strengths of the first XI and the defence of the second XI, and while the experience and strength of the first XI was superior, the second XI showed skill and commitment and it was a performance for them to be proud of.

The match proved to be a valuable run-out for both sides ahead of next Sunday's South East Cup fixtures. The first XI are drawn against local rivals Wexford and the second XI are drawn against Kilkenny 2.

Both matches are scheduled for the Astro Active Centre at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. respectively. Best of luck to both teams.

Enniscorthy firsts: Fiona Rothwell, Julie Watchorn, Serena Hatton, Katie Owen, Olive Lett, Leah Chapman, Nancy Dunphy, Lisa Frayne, Anna Flood, Deirdre Kehoe, Karri Clifford, Sonja Rynhart, Aine O'Brien, Bridget Gainford, Ruth Harrington, Caroline Doyle.

Enniscorthy seconds: Aoife Foran, Róisín O Muirí, Kim O'Connor, Laura Redmond, Saoirse Power, Fiona Breen, Róisín Bridges, Aoileann Hourihane, Lillian Howlin, Georgina Izatd, Niamh Buttle, Róisín Nolan.

There was another frustrating game for Enniscorthy seconds men's team on Saturday as they travelled to Mount Temple Comprehensive School on the northside of Dublin city where they took on Clontarf Hockey Club.

The final result saw Enniscorthy come out on the wrong side of a five goals to three game, but what a great game of hockey it was to watch.

Both teams started well as they went in search of the opening goal. In the early stages Clontarf were awarded multiple short corners and Enniscorthy had to defend hard to keep their goal clear.

No matter how hard Clontarf tried they were unable to score, thanks to short corner defenders Ivan Rothwell, Nick Peare, P.J. Pierce and Mick Jordan along with goalkeeper Luke Doyle.

The away team were awarded a short corner after 15 minutes and they made no mistake as Daithí Medcalf found the back board of the home team's goal. Ivan Rothwell did well to put the Clontarf defenders off as he sent them running early, resulting in them breaking the line and thus being a man down for the short corner, and this aided Medcalf in scoring as he had extra space to manoeuvre the ball past the remaining defenders.

Shortly after the Dublin side answered with a goal. Enniscorthy went in search of their second goal before half-time but unfortunately were unable to succeed.

Clontarf scored their second goal before half time came though, making it two goals to one in their favour as the whistle blew.

The half-time talk from the senior players in the south-east team's squad was positive as Enniscorthy were playing well and were still capable of taking all three points from the game.

In the second-half strong play from Enniscorthy midfielders Alan Smith, Daithí Medcalf and Andrew Rothwell saw them push up the pitch and put the Clontarf defence under pressure.

Enniscorthy went on to score two goals before the final whistle. Centre forward Robbie Walshe and midfielder Alan Smith were the travelling team's scorers.

Clontarf however, like the first-half, outscored Enniscorthy by a goal and bagged themselves three in the second-half, two of which were goals from penalty flicks awarded against the visitors.

Enniscorthy, two goals down going into the last ten minutes, still had time to salvage a point but the efforts of all squad members proved to no avail as Clontarf stayed strong and held on.

Wexford People

Promoted Links