Sunday 20 October 2019

Club Call

Wexford Swimming Club members at the Senior schools gala. Back (from left): Hannah Fitzpatrick, Angelo Miculescu, Niall Reck, Michael Leacy. Front (from left): Seán Reck, Adam Mahon, Stuart Vaughan, Dillon Cousins
Wexford Swimming Club members at the Senior schools gala. Back (from left): Hannah Fitzpatrick, Angelo Miculescu, Niall Reck, Michael Leacy. Front (from left): Seán Reck, Adam Mahon, Stuart Vaughan, Dillon Cousins
Rosslare Kettlebell Club members with their haul of medals. Missing from the photograph are Caoimhe Van Der Bliake, Stacey Brady and Colette Meyler
Leinster Under-14 cross-country champion Aidan Shannon, head coach Ted Flannelly, Myles Hewlett (second) and Darragh Flannelly (seventh), all from United Striders A.C

Wexford Marathon: It was an absolutely spectacular day on the racing front for Wexford Marathon Club at the Dublin City Marathon.

Conditions were ideal, with outstanding performances all round. First clubman home was Barry Brown who knocked an astonishing 26 minutes off his personal best, finishing strong in 3:26. Well done Barry.

First lady home was Maria McDonald in a super time of 3:37, a P.B. of seven minutes. Congratulations Maria.

Full results: Barry Browne, 3:26:49 (P.B.); Conor Barry, 3:28:28; Karl Richards, 3:33:54; Maria McDonald, 3:37:56 (P.B.); Paul Driscoll, 3:37:59 (P.B.); Dylan Barry, 3:39:34; Michael McGuire, 3:43; Ciarán Quirke, 3:46:15; Stuart Ryan, 3:46; Rory Bracken, 3:48; Jason Kehoe, 3:53:29; Ciarán O'Leary, 3:53:40 (P.B.); Alan Cloney, 3:55:49 (P.B.); Anthony Kennelly, 3:54:08; Angie Whelan, 3:58:22, first marathon (P.B.); Mag Balfe, 4:01:09; Ruth O'Connell, 4:06:07 (P.B.); Annemarie O'Brien, 4:17 (P.B.); Anthony Murphy, 4:24; Paul Cullen, 4:27 (P.B.); Eadaoin Quinn, 4:29:34; Jackie Furlong, 4:29, first marathon (P.B.); Elaine Kielthy, 4:29:55, first marathon (P.B.); Nicky O'Brien, 4:34:31; Georgina Gaul, 4:37:39; Daniel Bury, 4:30:40, first marathon (P.B.); Conor Brady, 4:36:07; Seán Bates, 4:41:01, first marathon (P.B.); Paul Ryan, 4:42:08; Lorraine Frayne, 4:44:23; Dermot Wallace, 4:50:45; Mary Catherine Murphy, 4:54:23 (19-minute P.B.); Shirley Walsh, 5:06:17; Liz Hendrick, 5:06:14; Martin Carroll, 5:28:07; Nicola Bury, 5:43:38.

You all did W.M.C. proud. Even to get on that start line is an achievement, as it takes guts, strength and determination which you all have in buckets. Enjoy the celebrations, well deserved.

And now on to the two men who travelled to Howth for an East of Ireland road marathon. It was a tough, testing course with climbing of 24,00 ft.

Congratulations to the boys who ran exceptional races, Paddy Rowe 4:21 in third place and Paul Duggan. Congratulations lads, savage running.

The club continues to thrive, going from strength to strength. These are amazing achievements for a club only running less than two years.


What a day was had by Rosslare Kettlebell Club recently at the A.I.K.L.F. Munster championships, with 13 members taking to the platforms to compete with the best from around the country in each bell weight category.

Rosslare came home with ten gold, five silver and three bronze medals. Competition was fierce and only the very top results would earn a platform position.

First off were our exceptional Junior lifters, starting with 15-year-old Caoimhe Van Der Bliake.

She competed in the long cycle 16 kg., with 62 reps. in five minutes to earn silver - an excellent result for her first outing with the 16 kg.

Caoimhe also performed a whopping 117 reps. snatch with the 12 kg. bell in five minutes to claim another silver.

Evan Kennedy-Power, eleven-years-old, produced an exceptional jerk 2 x 8 kg. set with 72 reps. in five minutes, with a fantastic finish earning him gold. He collected another gold in the snatch 8 kg. in five minutes with 103 reps.

Emmet Kennedy-Power is aged ten and it was his first time on the platform, having only been training a few weeks. He completed a three-minute 2 x 4 kg. long cycle set with 45 reps., and snatch 4 kg. with 118 reps in five minutes - double gold for this young champ in the making.

Also competing for the first time was young Molly O'Connor (age six) who completed a three-minute long cycle set with 2 kg. - 45 reps. and her first gold medal.

Adult ladies' five-minute snatch results: Clara O'Connor (coach), 16 kg. bell, 113 reps. (gold); Patricia Molloy, 16 kg. bell, 102 reps. (bronze); Colette Meyler, 12 kg. bell, 108 reps.; Melanie Murphy, 12 kg. bell, 104 reps.; Marie Neiland, 12 kg. bell, 99 reps.; Pearl Wright (64-years-old), 8 kg. bell, 92 reps. (silver).

Adult ladies' five-minute long cycle results: Clara O'Connor, 20 kg. bell, 65 reps. (gold); Patricia Molloy, 20 kg. bell, 61 reps. (silver); Colette Meyler, 16 kg. bell, 68 reps. (bronze); Leanne Hennessy, 16 kg. bell, 66 reps. (silver); Stacey Brady, 16 kg. bell, 65 reps.; Debbie Sinnott, 16 kg. bell, 65 reps.; Melanie Murphy, 12 kg., 65 reps. (gold); Marie Neiland, 12 kg., 63 reps. (bronze); Pearl Wright, 8 kg., 50 reps. (gold).

Last but by no means least, these two fantastic women tackled the double bells, lifting 2 x 12 kg. bells continuously for five minutes in a large competitive category: Leanne Hennessy, 2 x 12 kg., 62 reps., gold; Stacey Brady, 2 x 12 kg., 54 reps.

A massive well done to all competitors and to the organisers: Rebels Kettlebell Club in Glanmire, Cork.

Training continues every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 6.15 p.m. at Kilrane Community Centre, Rosslare Harbour. We are always open to new members from age ten-plus, men and women, boys and girls.


Wexford Swimming Club had 13 swimmers who qualified to compete at the Leinster distance qualifying gala which was held in the National Aquatic Centre in Dublin.

On Saturday, October 14, three swimmers competed in the longer distance events, with Hannah Fitzpatrick and Sophie Mahon swimming the 800m freestyle. Sophie finished close to her previous time and Hannah had a great race and took 47 seconds off her time. Stuart Vaughan swam in the 1,500m and finished in second place.

On Sunday, October 15, there was a mixture of 50m, 200m and 400m races. Dillon Cousins got three P.B's including a 7.9-second improvement in his 200m free, while his younger brother, Emmet, also took 7.4 seconds off his 200m free.

These two young swimmers were selected for the Leinster Skills Academy this year which is a great achievement. Well done boys.

Hannah Fitzpatrick was back in action again on the Sunday and got another two P.B's, including 8.1 seconds off her 200m back. Róisín Lawless swam two 50m events and finished very close to her times.

Adam Mahon took 4.6 seconds off his 200m free along with P.B's in his 50m fly and 200m back. Niall Reck competed in the 400m I.M. and got a 1.2-second it.

Cameron Steel had a busy day, competing in seven events, with his best improvements being 2.5 seconds in the 50m fly and 100m I.M. Stuart Vaughan was competing again on Sunday, as was Sophie Mahon, and both swam well in their races and finished close to their best times.

Seán Reck competed in eight events and got four great P.B's in the 50m breast, 200m fly, 50m free and 200m back. Denis Miculescu had five events and got three P.B's including 4.6 seconds off his 200m free.

Thomas Francis also had five events and got a 1.75-second P.B. in his 50m back. Georgina Steel had six good swims with a the 100m I.M.

One week later on October 22, the Leinster Senior and Minor Schools galas were held. In the Senior gala, Wexford C.B.S. had five swimmers who qualified for the competition. All had great swims and finished in the top ten in their individual races but pulled out all the stops for the relays and secured gold medals in the freestyle relay and bronze in the Medley relay. Well done to Michael Leacy, Adam Mahon, Seán Reck, Angelo Miculescu and Niall Reck.

Swimming for St. Peter's College were Stuart Vaughan and Dillon Cousins who also finished in the top ten.

In the Minor event, six swimmers from the club competed for their various schools. Emmet Cousins won gold in the 50m back and silver in the 100m I.M. Thomas Francis won silver in the 50m breast and came fifth in the 50m back.

Cian Leacy finished just outside the medals in fourth place in the 50m free and fifth in the 50m breast. Róisn Lawless also just missed medal position in fourth place in 50m back.

These young swimmers along with Louise Doyle, who competed in the 50m breast, all qualified for the Irish schools finals to be held next year. Eliza Kelly was unlucky and finished just outside the qualifying times in the 50m back and 100m I.M. Great swimming all. Well done.


Wexford firsts continue to impress as they make their mark on the Leinster League. Clontarf made their way to Wexford for last weekend's league game.

As with all this year's games, there is an element of uncertainty as all opponents this season are unknown to the Wexford side. Wexford were without a few of their regular starters for this game but luckily they have a squad of well-equipped players to lean on.

Wexford started off the stronger side and were unlucky not to convert early. It took Clontarf some time to settle after their journey to the south-east.

Wexford capitalised on this slow start as Miriam Lambert converted from a goalmouth scramble to put the team 1-0 up going in at half-time.

Wexford had yet to concede a goal this season and the back line worked relentlessly in stemming the waves of Clontarf attacks. Despite this pressure, Wexford kept finding ways to push forward and were awarded a short corner for their efforts.

Muireann McCarthy received the ball and slipped it to Ciara O'Leary who forced the goalkeeper to make a close-range save, but it was cleared into the path of Lambert who converted her second score.

Clontarf refused to give up and were unlucky not to convert when they sent a rocket of a shot which hit the crossbar and was cleared by the hard-working defence. Eventually Clontarf were awarded a short corner which was, unfortunately for Wexford, deflected by a defender into the net, leaving 'keeper Anna Hayes with no chance.

The game stood at 2-1 with ten minutes left. Luckily Deirdre Bolger was on hand to receive a ball from Alannah Davis and calmly sent a perfectly-weighted pass to Lambert who had sneaked in around the back of the Clontarf defence and converted her third goal.

Wexford eventually ran out 3-1 winners. Well done to all involved including coach Dave Williamson on this great start to the season.

Wexford: Anna Hayes, Chloe O'Connor, Joanne Grant, Leonie Grant, Ciara O'Leary, Ciara McGrath, Alannah Davis, Sinéad Goggin, Rosie O'Brien, Deirdre Bolger, Muireann McCarthy, Miriam Lambert, Catríona Corcaran.

Next Saturday, November 11, sees Wexford firsts take on Dublin's Loreto in the Enniscorthy Astro Centre at 3.30 p.m. Support is always appreciated. Please follow our progress on Facebook or on our web page.


S.B.R. had a quiet weekend following the Dublin Marathon and Wexford Senior cross-country, but there were several athletes in action over hill and dale.

Emma Morris continued a great 2017 with a win, first lady home in the Annagh Gap Run. Well done Emma!

Bernard Fortune was first S.B.R. man followed by marathon men Patrick Curley and Tomás Kavanagh. Podge Sweeney and Noel Kennedy also ran well. Best wishes to Noel as he recovers from a knee injury suffered in the race.

All club results, information and fixtures are on, with many thanks to Paul Gibbons for maintaining and updating the site.




Gorey A3201392414

N Ross Beta2200251912 Ballagh Black3102263010 Oulart3102233010

Kilmore Seals3102233010




N Ross Alpha2200361312

Ballagh Red3102254610

Kilmore Gulls200217284

Gorey B10015162


Enniscorthy 33, Mullingar 20: This was a far tighter game than the final scoreline would suggest as Enniscorthy beat Mullingar in the Leinster Under-16 league.

Enniscorthy did start well and Michel Kinsella scored a fine try after weaving his way through the Mullingar defence. Out-half Ben Kidd kicked the conversion for an early lead.

Mullingar bounced back with a try themselves but missed the conversion.

Miguel Byrne made a superb break inside the visitors' half and off-loaded to John Kehoe who scored the second try. Ben Kidd added the conversion.

Mullingar refused to go away and scored a second try just before half-time, but they missed the conversion.

Enniscorthy piled on the pressure in the second-half and were rewarded with a second John Kehoe try after good work from the forwards. Kidd added the conversion.

Mullingar butchered a few scoring chances but Tom Manning didn't miss the opportunity to score when he made a break from a ruck. Ben Kidd added the conversion.

The lead was now 26-10 but Mullingar scored again but failed to add the convert.

Miguel Byrne, who had a brilliant day, secured the win with an excellent break through the middle and, although the visitors scored a late try, Enniscorthy had done enough.

Enniscorthy 38, Wicklow 22: The Enniscorthy Under-14 team continued their unbeaten run when they produced a superb performance to beat Wicklow 38-22 in Enniscorthy under lights on Wednesday.

Centre Arron Quigley, who was outstanding, made a superb break through the middle to score the first of six tries.

The Enniscorthy forwards led by Marco Byrne really took the game to the visitors, and the second try saw Quigley make another fine break but Wicklow responded to score almost from the drop-out.

Enniscorthy kept up the relentless pressure and this time full-back Darragh Kehoe's pace left the Wicklow defence in tatters to touch down the third five-pointer.

Wicklow scored again just before half-time but Enniscorthy led 26-12 at the break.

They kept up the relentless pace in the second-half when they produced the try of the game.

They recycled the ball for ten phases and it resulted in Marco Byrne barging over the line for a brilliant team try.

Front row forward Conor Walsh touched down the fifth try from close in, and Arron Quigley bagged his third try when he weaved his way through the Wicklow defence.

Wicklow did respond with two tries near the end but Enniscorthy were worthy winners after a wonderful team performance.

James Kaylita kicked four conversions and he was an excellent foil for his centre partner Quigley.


It was a busy weekend for Enniscorthy Hockey Club's adult teams, and especially for the ladies' second and men's second string sides, both of whom played twice in the space of 24 hours.

The ladies' first eleven hosted Suttonians seconds on Saturday at the Astro Active Centre. The side, captained by Leah Chapman, were hoping to improve on an uncharacteristically disappointing loss to North Kildare the previous weekend.

The home team set the tempo from the outset, pushing forward with intent and testing the Suttonian full-back line from the get-go. Enniscorthy were unlucky not to capitalise on a goalmouth scramble early on, but Jessie Flood was on hand to fire home from the top of the circle after eight minutes.

Enniscorthy's second goal came from Laura O'Leary after a fast-paced break down the right on the 30-minute mark. An Enniscorthy penalty corner was then cleared and worked up the field before Suttonians were awarded a penalty corner, ably saved by stand-in goalkeeper Olive Lett as the half-time whistle sounded.

After a very strong first-half performance, the Slaneysiders' back four of Katie Owen, May Wickham, Julie Watchorn and captain Leah Chapman again worked tirelessly to clear counter-attacks, but the visitors were awarded a penalty corner after twelve minutes in the second-half.

It was again saved and cleared by the composed home defence. Three minutes later, following strong attack from midfielders Laura Smith, Laura Bailey and Jessie Flood, centre forward Anna Flood impressively drag-flicked to the roof of the the net after receiving a pass from the baseline just inside the circle.

Enniscorthy were on a roll now, applying constant and relentless pressure to the Suttonian defence. Four minutes after their third goal, left-wing Marti Rudd made no mistake in finishing to the right corner of the net for the fourth and final goal.

Róisín Treacy made one final break down the right wing and was unlucky not to add to the already impressive tally of scores in a much-improved performance. They now lie joint second in the Leinster League Division 7 table and look forward to their next clash versus Skerries in two weeks' time, having received a bye in the Irish Hockey Trophy first round draw which commences next weekend.

Squad: Leah Chapman, May Wickham, Julie Watchorn, Katie Owen, Jessie Flood, Laura Smith, Laura Bailey, Marti Rudd, Anna Flood, Laura O'Leary, Róisín Treacy, Olive Lett.

The men's first XI were hosted by Wicklow at East Glendalough School in their first derby match of the season.

Donal Doyle's men started the stronger, and in fact the visitors drew first blood in this typically close contest with less than a quarter of an hour on the clock. Former Wicklow player O'Sullivan got on the end of a long ball from right-back Andrew Rothwell, and with great skill and patience slipped it past the despairing dive of the Wicklow goalkeeper.

The home side were unbowed, and forced a number of penalty corners inside the opening 20 minutes, all of which were ably dealt with by Hill and his defence.

Enniscorthy hit the home side again after 25 minutes. This time Roy Chapman worked his way down the right wing, with his ball across the circle finding his lurking brother Glen, who made no mistake.

The visitors were now two goals up and came very close to making it three with a penalty corner shot from O'Sullivan that went narrowly wide. The visitors' young rotating forwards - Durnan, English, Rynhart and Dunne - were putting Wicklow under continuous pressure at the back.

Half-time came and it was 2-0 to the visitors. With the re-start, Wicklow came back hard at Enniscorthy and were adept at putting pressure on the defence.

The hard-working Simmons and Ivan Rothwell in the centre, along with wing-backs Cooke and Andrew Rothwell, though, were making it hard for the home side to get time and space on the ball. Cooke put in a particularly effective man-marking shift on his Wicklow opposite number.

Despite this the home side was creaking and Wicklow were awarded a flurry of penalty corners midway through the second-half. It was during this tense sequence that Simmons picked up a nasty injury to his thumb, forcing him off for some running repairs.

The home side finally got their their reward in disputed circumstances on 54 minutes. Wicklow were awarded yet another penalty corner, and during the goalmouth scramble the ball crossed Hill's line. Enniscorthy were convinced it was helped over by a Wicklow foot but the officials disagreed, setting up a nerve-wracking finale.

Glen Chapman and his midfield counterpart from Wicklow had been engaged in running battles all afternoon and found themselves on the receiving end of an official warning shortly after the Wicklow goal.

Chapman's grit and determination to win was mirrored in the efforts of young Seb Rynhart, busily harrying the Wicklow defence as Enniscorthy worked hard in defending high up the pitch. Wicklow earned two penalty corners in the last seven minutes and Hill was forced into a last-gasp save in order to hold on to three precious points for the Slaneysiders.

Doyle's men have only their second home game of the season this coming Saturday as they take on Railway Union in the Astro Centre.

Squad: Graham Hill, Andrew Rothwell, David Simmons, Ivan Rothwell, Cory Cooke, Glen Chapman, Roy Chapman, Daithí Medcalf, William Durnan, James O'Sullivan, Jacob English, Seb Rynhart, Jacob English.

It was a mixed weekend for the ladies' second eleven, with a defeat and a win separated by just 24 hours.

Saturday saw the side travel to Lucan to play Weston thirds. The early pressure came from the visitors, with a shot from open play followed by a well-saved penalty corner effort from Avril Buttle.

Weston responded with a penalty corner, with Eleanor Bolger clearing the Enniscorthy lines leading to a counter-attack. Hannah Sweeney's laser-like pass found Megan Dempsey who was unable to convert.

Hannah Neville proved a major loss, having to go off after receiving a blow to the knee, and with no substitutes Weston were able to find gaps in the Enniscorthy defence, finding themselves two goals to the good at half-time.

The second-half was only a few minutes old when Weston scored their third but from then on Enniscorthy dominated proceedings, and the comeback began. Sweeney had an unlucky miss at goal, then Redmond and Breen also had opportunities.

Hannah Neville, Buttle and Sweeney were particularly dangerous in attack, and Sweeney pulled one back, followed ten minutes later with her second. Enniscorthy, though, ran out of time, leaving Weston as 3-2 winners.

Squad: Mairéad Neville, Eleanor Bolger, Amy D'Alton, Avril Buttle, Hannah Sweeney, Hannah Neville, Sophie Gilliot, Julie Hayes, Orlaith Breen, Laura Redmond, Megan Dempsey.

The ladies' second eleven then put Saturday's defeat firmly behind them with a 7-1 thrashing of the Genesis sixth XI on Sunday in Dublin.

Enniscorthy started off brightly with a well-taken goal in the first five minutes from Mairéad Neville. Genesis hit back with a goal from a penalty corner.

The home side thought they had a second when a long long ball from midfield caused confusion in the Enniscorthy defence, but the effort was disallowed.

An avalanche of scores then followed from the 15th minute up until half-time, as Enniscorthy ran amok. Ciara Murphy grabbed two before the interval while Coláiste Bríde student Hannah Sweeney bagged her first to leave the sides four goals apart at the break.

Genesis started the second-half the better, extracting a number of penalty corners from the Enniscorthy defence, but the back division of Eleanor Bolger, Róisín Ní Mhuirí, Amy Dalton and Serena Hatton held firm, while goalkeeper Alice Medcalf's saves ensured Genesis remained scoreless in the second-half.

Great attacking play from Róisín Treacy set up Hannah Sweeney for her second goal - her fourth of the weekend. In the last passage of play, Avril Buttle scored a great goal to finish the match 7-1, giving the side their first win of the campaign.

Squad: Alice Medcalf, Amy Dalton, Megan Dempsey, Eleanor Bolger, Ciara Murphy, Laura Redmond, Mairéad Neville, Aoife Mernagh, Róisín Ní Mhuirí, Róisín Treacy, Avril Buttle, Serena Hatton, Hannah Sweeney.

The men's second eleven had a similarly mixed bag of results. On Saturday Portrane was the venue for the Division 7 side and in a fractious encounter - a pair of red cards shown by the officials following a skirmish featuring a large number of players - the home side emerged victorious.

Riley Shoebridge had the north county Dublin side one-nil up at the break, and Rory McKeon doubled their lead after Seamus Stone's effort was saved by Luke Doyle; Mick Jordan nabbed a consolation goal at the death following a penalty corner for the Wexford men.

On Sunday table-topping Bray were the visitors to the Astro Active Centre and the county Wicklow side were held to their first draw of the season in a vastly-improved performance by Enniscorthy from the previous day. Again, the hosts conceded the opening goal before Daithí Medcalf followed up a Niall Maguire effort to rescue a point.

Finally, the ladies' third eleven were in Sunday League action against Kilkenny and despite a 'goal of the season' effort from Laura O'Leary, the Cats emerged with all three points on a 5-1 scoreline.

The hosts found themselves two goals up before O'Leary's wonder goal gave Enniscorthy a glimmer of hope. However, the home side slammed the door firmly shut in the second-half, adding three further goals.

Squad: Aoife Foran, Irene Doyle, Linda Durnan, Suzanne Redmond, Ivanna Yates, Melanie Ní Dhuinn, Catherine Oakes, Róisín Bridges, Mairéad Brophy, Laura O'Leary, Emma Doyle, Jacinta Kinsella, Stephanie Kinsella.


The Striders had over 30 Juveniles in action in Navan on bank holiday Saturday at the Leinster-cross country championships for even age groups.

With some fields larger than 200 of the best provincial athletes, competition was very strong. However, we are very lucky to have a great bunch of under-age athletes and it was no surprise that they performed so well at this level.

First up, in the Under-10 event, was Heather Costello, who got the day off to a great start, finishing well inside the top half of the field over a tough 1k course.

Over 2k, the Under-12 boys' team performed really well, earning eighth place in the club team event and helping Wexford to fifth place in the county team event. Ronan Shannon was first Strider over the line ahead of Seán Lennon, Tomasso Hickey, Sam Myers and Olan Delaney, with all boys putting in big efforts.

With the distance up to a testing 3k, Ciara Murphy and Kelly Corbett were part of a Wexford squad that placed seventh. The Under-14 boys' Striders team created a slice of club history, recording individual first and second places in a Leinster cross-country event for the first time.

The eight-strong Striders squad all performed heroically to win both the club title and help Wexford to the county title. Aidan Shannon was the star man for the Striders, taking another Leinster gold, ahead of Myles Hewlett, winning silver, out of his age group, with Darragh Flannelly a handful of seconds back in seventh place.

The three boys sat back in the chasing pack for the first part of the race and all moved into contention with a kilometre or so to go. Aidan powered up the hill to win gold in great style, ahead of Myles who made up considerable ground to take second place in the final strides.

With Darragh finishing strongly to claim his individual medal, Cosmo Hewlett powered home to secure the fourth spot that won the Striders a Leinster club title. Eoin Shannon, Finn Kelly, Owen Lennon and Caolan Costello made up the golden squad, with all performing remarkably well.

The Under-16 girls' team did a fantastic job of following the golden boys, to take fifth place in the club event. Despite being out of age, Erinn Shannon was first Strider home ahead of Clodagh Foran, Eve Byrne, Aisling Power and Ellie Quinn.

Adam O'Connor, running a year out of age, was first Wexford athlete home in the Under-16 boys' event. Striders Aaron Browne and Ryan Kielthy ran very well to be part of the Wexford team which finished sixth in the county event.

The final under-age races of the day led to more medals for the Striders. The Under-18 girls' squad of Grace Costello, Rebecca Bawden, Gráinne Flannelly, Alannah Byrne and Joanne Kelly won a bronze in the club event.

In the Under-18 boys' race over 6k, Aedan Rogers won his individual medal with a top ten finish, ahead of James Boland who registered another really good finish.

Later in the afternoon, Alan O'Connor led the Striders men's team to a fantastic fifth place in the Leinster Novice cross-country team event. Over the 6k undulating course, the Striders all performed well, with Alan's top 20 place being the stand-out performance. John McGrath, George Delaney and Ted Flannelly completed the team.

To complete a very busy and successful weekend, on the Sunday the Striders had over 20 competing at the Dublin City Marathon.

In a great atmosphere all Striders completed the course, achieving lots of P.B's along the way, including first clubman home, Paul Doran, in a remarkable time of two hours 44 minutes on his debut marathon. Well done to all.


In the athletic world, the October bank holiday weekend means only one thing, the Dublin City Marathon.

St. Joseph's were proudly represented on the start line by an amazing number of 14 runners, all with many months of hard training behind them. A total of 26.2 miles of running faced them with all the physical and mental reserves each of them could muster to be called upon.

Making a return to marathon running after a five-year absence, Patrick Bookle led the team home in an excellent time of 3.11.04.

A debut marathon is a daunting experience but David Lanigan made light of the challenge in crossing the finish line in a superb 3:22:42 and being the second St. Joseph's athlete home.

Anne Watkins was next of the St. Joseph's gang to finish, making marathon running look easy in a fantastic time of 3:41:29.

Another club stalwart made a return to marathon running for the race, and no one can call upon more experience and toughness than Larry Leacy who crossed the line in 3:54:22. Paul Sheehan enjoys his running and even the rigours of a marathon could not stop him smiling and waving to supporters in finishing in 3:56:15.

Anita Barry is so used to the marathon scene with the Marathon Club of Ireland, that at this stage it's just another 26-mile run to her and she arrived at the finish in 3:58:07.

Breda Hennessy, in her seventh Dublin marathon, looked comfortable all the way and she arrived at the finish line in 4:18.22. Marathon running and injury unfortunately go together and Tom McDonald bravely limped to the finish line in 4:25:57. All the early morning long runs paid off for Mary McDonald who finished in a fine 4:30:22.

Sinéad Ryan-Croke and Susan Lanigan finished close together in 4.42.21 and 4:42:27 respectively, with Susan and husband David both completing their first marathons.

Jackie O'Shaughnessy came from France to run in her debut marathon and finished proudly in 5:37:36. Catherine Hennessy and Anna O'Dwyer trained together and crossed the line together in 5:49:54.

The county marathon was run in conjunction with the Dublin marathon with three athletes to score on club teams. The St. Joseph's women's team of Ann, Anita and Breda finished second club in the county, with the men's team of Patrick, David and Larry finishing third.

To all 14 of our club members who completed the Dublin Marathon, all your hard work and training paid off, and you should be well proud of your accomplishment.

The Leinster cross-country even ages and Novice championships took place in Navan on October 28.

The day started with a non-championship race for Under-10 athletes, and Joss O'Connor, double county champion at the Under-10 and Under-11 age groups, stepped up to provincial level and stamped his class on the race, almost leading from start to finish to record a fantastic win.

In the Under-10 girls' race, Sarah Foley ran well in this, her first-ever Leinster cross country race, but finished outside the medals.

Huge fields in excess of 150 athletes were a feature of the Under-12 races, and the girls' race over 2,000 metres saw wonderful performances from the St. Joseph's crew.

Grace Glennon finished in a superb 15th position and was a scorer on the Kilkenny county team which won gold.

Not far behind was Maeve Bookle in an excellent 24th position, with great runs also by Eabha Mullally (66th), Mairéad Mullally (86th), Aoife Lanigan (117th), Lily Doyle (128th) and Caoimhe Barry (142nd), bringing the girls to seventh club team overall..

A challenging 3,000 metres faced the Under-14 athletes, and Danielle Griffin made it look easy in crossing the line in an excellent 20th position and scoring on the county team which won gold.

The other three girls battled all the way to the finish with Áine Purcell 59th, Rachel Foley 78th and Ciara Mullally, bravely running with a chest infection to ensure the club had four runners to make a team, 92nd. The girls were ninth club overall in Leinster.

Jamie O'Connor and Katie Bookle kept the club colours flying in the Under-14 boys' and Under-16 girls' races, finishing in 65th and 50th positions respectively.

The Novice ladies' Leinster championship saw Sally Forristal continue a great year of performances, finishing fifth and placing second on the county team which won gold.

A huge field of athletes were spread across the start line for the Novice men's championship, and Stephen O'Connor was the sole St. Joseph's representative, finishing in 95th place.

Wexford People