Wednesday 16 October 2019

Club Call

Finalists in the Declan Ryan snooker final in New Ross Workmen's Club (from left): Declan Ryan (runner-up), Tony Bennett (referee), and Dave Shannon who won the final 3-0. The beaten semi-finalists were Nathan Murphy and John Bennett
Finalists in the Declan Ryan snooker final in New Ross Workmen's Club (from left): Declan Ryan (runner-up), Tony Bennett (referee), and Dave Shannon who won the final 3-0. The beaten semi-finalists were Nathan Murphy and John Bennett
Myles Gibbons of S.B.R. (left) after finishing second in the Stook 10 Miler in Kilkenny on Saturday
Niall Sheil of St. Killian's en route to helping Ireland secure team gold at the Over-40 cross-country championships in Derry
Organisers and guests at the inaugural Wexford Box Cup held in St. Joseph's Community Centre recently (from left): Keelan Murphy, Nicky Keane, Ray Hutchinson, Frankie Kirwan, Cllr. Jim Moore (Mayor of Wexford), Mick Roche, Cllr. George Lawlor, Albert Saunders, Donal Walsh, Paul Kelly
Brothers Jack and Tom Murphy from St. Ibar's Boxing Club who took part in the Wexford Box Cup tournament in St. Joseph's Community Centre

United Striders A.C.: The Striders were amongst the medals again at the Leinster Juvenile cross-country championships for uneven age groups, held at sunny Adamstown.

In real cross-country conditions, Heather Costello got us off to a flying start, finishing really strongly despite being a year out of her age group.

Also at the Under-11 age group, in the boys' event, Ronan Shannon was first Wexford athlete home, in a fantastic 15th place. Sam Myers and Charlie Alfred also had good runs to be part of the Wexford squad which placed fifth in the county event.

Isabel Bawden was our sole representative in the Under-13 girls' event and as always performed very well. Myles Hewlett put in another fantastic effort and picked up his second Leinster silver medal of the cross-country season. With a typical brave effort, Myles was in the lead group all the way and well deserved another big finish.

Also picking up an individual medal was Cosmo Hewlett, who finished really strongly to make the podium. Eoin Shannon, Finn Kelly, Seán Lennon, Ben Myers and Tommaso Hickey made up the Striders team which won silver and featured on the Wexford squad which also won silver.

With the distance up to 3,500m, over a surface that was really starting to cut up, Erinn Shannon was first Strider home in the Under-15 girls' event, ahead of Clodagh Foran and Eve Byrne.

The Leinster Under-14 champion, Aidan Shannon, collected another provincial individual medal, ahead of Adam O'Connor, Owen Lennon and Oisín Mac Eochaidh. The boys earned a club seventh place finish and almost guided Wexford to a medal, finishing fourth in the county event.

Grace Costello was first Strider home, and close to an individual medal, in the Under-17 girls' event. Alannah Byrne, Gráinne Flannelly and Rebecca Bawden made up the team which came close to winning another club medal, following their heroics in Navan last month.

Cian Flanagan and Ryan Kielthy were excellent, despite being a year out of age, in the Under-17 boys' event. Also out of age, Aedan Rogers and James Boland were very impressive, with Aedan's fifth place finish earning him another individual medal.

The Striders men were in action over a very challenging 10 km. course in the Leinster Senior cross-country championship. John McGrath and Alan O'Connor were first Striders home, separated by a handful of seconds.

Brendan Lyng, George Delaney, Ted Flannelly and Pat O'Callaghan made up the Striders team which finished in sixth place and were part of the Wexford squad which finished fourth in the county event.

Well done to all Striders, who all performed really well, at an event that ran smoothly thanks to host club Adamstown A.C.


Last weekend saw the county Kilkenny ten-mile road race hosted by Gowran A.C. and run in conjunction with the Stook ten-mile road race over the toughest of courses.

St. Joseph's members were out in force with twelve athletes taking on the ten-mile challenge and two Juveniles in the accompanying 5k run.

It turned out to be a great day for Maria Griffin who crossed the line in a fine time of 1.10.31 for a fantastic third place overall and first Over-45 but, more importantly, becoming the county ten-mile champion.

Not to be outdone, Mary Doolan finished in a fine time of 1.14.39 and was first Over-40. Making up the club team was Hanora O'Connor, finishing in 1.33.33, with the team placed fourth in the county championship.

Seconds behind Hanora were Susan Lanigan and Mary McDonald, crossing the line together in 1.33.49, followed by Bríd Lawlor (1.44.01), Helen Walsh (1.46.56), Adrienne Flynn (1.47.15) and Susan Bolger (1.56.56).

St. Joseph's had three men competing, with David Lanigan finishing in an excellent 1.07.12, followed by Stephen O'Connor (1.09) and John McDonald (1.30).

On a good day for the Lanigan family, Aoife and Conor ran the 5k dash with Aoife the third schoolgirl home.


The Charlie Kehoe billiards open took place in the New Ross Workmen's Club. In the final which culminated three weeks' play, Jason Moran (-140) beat Nathan Murphy.

Jason quickly reduced his handicap to zero, and by that time Nathan was 60 points ahead.

Jason got back to within 20 points and, as they would say in billiards, 'hit a wall', as nothing went right.

The score at that stage was Nathan 179, Jason 169. Play got a bit stale and both players found the going tough, but Jason had the final say with breaks of 19 and 12 to win the match 200 to 179.

The club would like to thank our sponsor, Jim Howlett, for his support over the years which is very much appreciated. Our referee was Stephen Bolger.


Well done to St. Killian's athlete Niall Sheil who represented Ireland on Saturday in the Over-40 British and Irish 5 Masters Nations cross-country championships in Derry.

On a soft, technically very challenging course, Niall had a great run and his performance was key to his team securing gold over a very competitive English outfit.

The race was won by Niall's team-mate, Brian Maher of Kilkenny City Harriers, a regular at our annual race, finishing second last year behind Olympian Mick Clohisey.

It caps off a great couple of weeks for the club, with Jack Forde securing gold in Scotland only the previous week. It's great to see our athletes achieving the highest possible accolades for their hard work.


The second round of the winter league was held in Enniscorthy on Friday night. Forty brave Menapians braved the cold to take part in the event.

While it was cold, it was a very calm night which made the event very enjoyable, and there was a great atmosphere.

Heading into round two Menapians were second overall, first in the girls' competition and third in the boys' competition. It was going to take some impressive running by our young athletes to keep the club in this position, let alone improve the club's standing.

Our young athletes delivered impressive performances. Cian Donovan, Sinéad O'Reilly, Eimear Halpin and Róisín O'Reilly all won their races. For Cian, Eimear and Róisín, this was their second victory in this year's winter league.

April Keeling and Archie Rennick were second in their races, while Cliona Kearney, Ailbhe White. Alfie Whelan, Shane Donovan, Nathan Murphy and Adam Leahy all finished third in their races.

Full results are available on the club Facebook page. As every performance counts, the contribution of every athlete was important and their performances helped the club consolidate second position overall.

The girls are still in first place and the boys have improved, moving into second place.

Menapians would like to express sincere thanks to all who helped out. The third and final round of the league will take place on Sunday, December 3, in Enniscorthy.


Nine members travelled to Avondale Forest in Wicklow on Saturday to take part in various races from five miles right up to the marathon distances, all in aid of Wicklow Hospice Foundation.

Outstanding performances were produced, notably from Kay O'Brien who completed the marathon in 4:07, knocking 21 minutes off her previous P.B. Congratulations Kay.

Results: Ray O'Brien (marathon), 4:15; Anthony Kennelly (15.2 miles), 2:12; Daniel Bury (12.5 miles), 1:45; ten-mile: Angie Whelan, 1:31, Shelley O'Connor, 1:42 (congratulations, another P.B.); Mary Catherine Murphy, 1:46; Nicola Bury, 1:51; five-mile: Paula Cloney, 59 minutes.

It was great running everyone on a wet, sloppy course!

Johnstown 5k Parkrun results: Breda Rowe, 32:41; Karl Richards, 20:59 (P.B.).

Jane Power ran 31:47 in the 5k Remembrance Run.

Stook ten-mile results: Terry O'Dowd, 1.38; Lynda Murphy; Janet Kelly, 1.51.

Run the Gap 10k: Shelley O'Connor, 1.18.00.

Gingerbread half-marathon and 10k results: Alan Cloney, 1.40.44; Seán Bates, 1.53.55; Georgina Gaul, 1.56.00; Brian Breslin, 1.58.38; Jane Power, 2.09.00; Lorraine Rowe, 2.09.15; 10k: Mary Catherine Murphy, 57.30; Orla Doyle, 57.30; Paula Cloney, 1.12.16.

That was fantastic running by everyone. Well done W.M.C.

S.B.R. A.C.

Patrick Curley had a busy weekend, starting off with a fourth in the Annacurra 5 Bounds Challenge in 47:59.

S.B.R. had two great results in the Tinahely Wicklow Way Run the Gap where Patrick Curley was the first man home and Emma Morris was the first woman across the line. Well done to both on great runs on a challenging course.

Myles Gibbons was second in 57:49 at the Stook 10 Miler in Kilkenny on Saturday over a challenging course and against a top field. His time over the flying mile of 4:27 moved him to fourth on the all-time race rankings.

S.B.R. was in action in the Gingerbread Man Run 10k in Portarlington, with Sharon Morris crossing the line in 57:03 and Linda Avbarra following in 1:08:30.

In Hollyfort on Sunday, Paul Gibbons and Patrick Curley battled well and came across the line together in first and second place.

Tomás Kavanagh ran a strong race on Saturday at the Gorey Parkrun, clocking 18:17 for fourth overall. Liam Breen had a terrific run in 23:16, good enough for ninth overall.

Belated congratulations to S.B.R's Bernard Fortune who continued a fantastic year in the mountains with a 14th overall placing in the I.M.R.A. Powerscourt Ridge race against a top field. Bernard was also third in the M40 category.

On Wednesday there will be a group meeting on The Square in Ferns (Ferns Castle) at 6.30 p.m. They will run laps of the 'V' which are approximately one mile.

They will be there for an hour and would welcome club members and non-club members alike.

Anyone who is just starting out running, this is a great way to get started with a supportive group and get fit for the new year.

Everyone is welcome, and please wear a hi-vis jacket.

All club results, fixtures and information are available at


Enniscorthy's first XI men were on the road again last weekend as they travelled to Lucan to take on Weston. Enniscorthy knew it was going to one of the biggest challenges thus far in the season as their hosts sat in second place before the game, just one point ahead of themselves.

Weston started strong and put pressure on the visitors, but captain Hill and his side were dealing with it. The first-half was end-to-end attacks with both sides trying hard to find the opener.

Durnan, English and Dunne all came agonisingly close for the visitors but it stayed 0-0. On the stroke of half-time Weston were awarded a short corner and a brilliantly-struck drag flick forced Hill into pulling off one of the saves of the game.

Half-time came and it was still anyone's game. Enniscorthy needed to go back to basics and hold on to the ball and make their opposition work it.

However, Weston held on to the ball and were putting pressure on Enniscorthy and throughout the second-half were awarded a number of short corners. The Dubliners eventually scored from a short corner despite the efforts of Rothwell and Hill who both got touches on the ball, but it still found its way into the back of the Enniscorthy goal.

There was still plenty of time for the visitors to get back into the game. All across the team Enniscorthy were putting in one hundred per cent effort with the Chapman bothers leading by example with their usual Trojan efforts.

O'Sullivan and his wing forwards were continuing to cause the Dublin side's defence issues. The west Dublin side were continuing to put pressure on Enniscorthy, forcing Doyle's men to defend for extended periods of the second-half.

Ivan Rothwell and Rynhart were instrumental in covering back and on a number of occasions were the difference in stopping Weston's attacks. Enniscorthy came close to evening things up with just minutes to go when Durnan and Andrew Rothwell linked up well and a ball in from the latter found Rynhart but his shot went narrowly over the bar.

It finished with the spoils going to the Dublin side. It was not Enniscorthy's strongest performance, but determination and hard work was in full evidence.

They will move forward and look to this coming weekend's game where they will look to make amends when they take on table-toppers Pembroke Wanderers in Enniscorthy.

Squad: Graham Hill, Andrew Rothwell, David Simmons, Ivan Rothwell, Cory Cooke, Glen Chapman, Roy Chapman, Daithí Medcalf, William Durnan, James O'Sullivan, Ciarán O'Leary, Charlie Dunne, Seb Rynhart, Jacob English.

On a crisp Saturday afternoon, Enniscorthy's second XI ladies' team travelled to north Dublin to take on Clontarf fifths. A strong squad of eager for victory emerged onto the pitch.

The Slaneysiders gained possession immediately and were on the hunt for the opening goal. Murphy assisted by Neville powered through Clontarf's defence line. It was far from one-sided as Clontarf were strong in attack on both their right and left wings.

Any danger was quickly dealt with by Enniscorthy's defensive line of Hatton, Dalton, Nic Corcráin and Power along with goalkeeper Medcalf. The ball was swiftly moved up the right wing by Bolger and Dempsey who gained a short corner.

Enniscorthy, keen on scoring, lined up ready for their shot on goal. Hickey took a powerful shot, but the Dublin 'keeper brilliantly saved it.

The visitors were pressing hard and made countless tackles to gain possession once again. Redmond was strong in midfield and was vital in linking her forwards and defenders. The half-time whistle blew and it was still all square.

Despite the Wexford side coming out strong in the second-half, Clontarf made the first break. The Dubliners slipped through Enniscorthy's defence line and gained themselves a short corner.

Goalkeeper Medcalf, guiding her backs, aided her side in winning back the ball and clearing it up the right wing to Sweeney. Sweeney collected the ball and sprinted up the pitch.

Once again Enniscorthy failed to score but kept their heads high and tried again. A strong hit out by Clontarf's sweeper landed the ball in Enniscorthy's defence line, but thankfully for the visitors Laura Bailey was there to deal with the danger.

Clontarf forced Medcalf into pulling off an amazing save. Neither side was giving in and both sides went toe to toe right up until the final whistle.

This coming Saturday sees the ladies back in action when they face Suttonians in the Astro Active Centre, Enniscorthy.

Squad: Mairéad Neville, Ciara Murphy, Laura Redmond, Amy Dalton, Alice Medcalf, Serena Hatton, Meagan Dempsey, Elaine Hickey, Saoirse Power, Muireann Nic Corcráin, Eleanor Bolger, Laura Bailey, Hannah Sweeney.

Saturday saw Enniscorthy's Under-14 girls meet a great challenge in Kilkenny in the second of the South East League games. While both teams had short corner chances within the first 15 minutes, neither was rewarded with a score.

Kilkenny proved dominant with two further short corner chances and while consistent pressure was applied to a steadfast Enniscorthy defence, they didn't concede a score with goalie Kate Freeman making a number of great saves.

Emerging from half-time with no goals scored, Enniscorthy came out fighting and turned their game around, putting Kilkenny on the back foot. Both sides put together a number of good moves, in particular a strong run by Leah Kidd finishing with Faye Codd going close.

Enniscorthy created a number of other chances, just missing out on each occasion. Kilkenny fought back and both sides were forced to work hard.

A short corner chance for Kilkenny on the final whistle proved fruitless. The game ended 0-0, with a strong performance from the Enniscorthy girls matched by a well-organised Kilkenny outfit.

Squad: Kate Freeman, Beibhinn O'Brien, Rebecca Doyle, Leah Jordan, Niamh Oglivie, Ellie Kehoe, Leah Kidd, Faye Codd, Amy Murphy, Rebecca Oglivie, Tara Somers, Eva Rothwell, Laura Sutton.

The Enniscorthy Under-16 girls' team lost narrowly 2-1 by Three Rock Rovers in the Leinster Intermediate A1 league on Saturday. A second Under-16 team drew with Old Alexandra in the Leinster Intermediate Yellow league.

Enniscorthy Under-14 boys were in action in an eight-a-side Leinster League game on Saturday where they played Monkstown in a 2-2 draw.


Enniscorthy 5, Tullow 21: Having drawn twice with Tullow in the South-East League, Enniscorthy's Under-13s went to Blackgates on Saturday for their second round of the Leinster League.

The conditions were miserable with incessant rain. Tullow were first to score after eight minutes of intense pressure when they were camped inside the Enniscorthy '22. Although Enniscorthy defended strongly for seven or eight minutes, their failure to kick or turn over saw them succumb to the pressure when Tullow scored under the posts and duly converted.

Enniscorthy did find some rhythm after twelve minutes and an excellent break from Cian Dobbs-Doyle on 15 minutes saw him make 20 metres, only to be taken out by what looked like a very high tackle about five metres out,

Enniscorthy kept the pressure on, but despite some good running the Tullow defence held firm until the 19th minute when Cody Denton got over the line in a strong drive from several Enniscorthy players to score in the left corner, leaving the score 7-5.

From the re-start, Tullow came right back and scored under the posts and converted to leave the half-time score 14-5.

Enniscorthy started the second-half well and had a few chances, but poor handling and fumbling of the wet ball seemed to let them down. There were a number of substitutions on 35 minutes and a large amount of positional changes for Enniscorthy, but no more scoring opportunities.

For Enniscorthy, Robbie Chapman at fly-half was notable for his tackling. On the 46th minute, with four minutes left, the Tullow full-back kicked a chip pass to their centre who had drifted out on the left wing and he ran from just outside his own '22 to score under the posts. With the conversion the match ended 21-5 to Tullow.

Enniscorthy: Joe Doyle, Connell Kelly (Tomás Guiney, 45), Ryan Whelan (Brian Lett, 30), Seán Guiney, Seán Doyle (Jack Kavanagh, 40), Robbie Chapman, Tomi Cahill, Brian Lett (Gavin O'Connor, inj., 5), Jack Whelan (Cillian Hanrahan, 40), Eoin Sheridan-Pope (Conor Hassey, 40), Cody Denton (Luke Wheelock, 40), Rory Lynch (Adam Power, 45), Pádraig Waters, Cian Dobbs-Doyle, Dylan Butler.

Enniscorthy 55, Tullow 19: Enniscorthy's Under-14s extended their fine unbeaten run with a 55-19 win in the Leinster League at Ross Road on Saturday.

They played their trademark rugby of running the ball at every opportunity and with just seven minutes on the clock they had two tries in the bag.

Arron Quigley stormed up the middle from 40 metres to score the first, and flying full-back Darragh Kehoe scored the second. James Kalyta scored one conversion.

Tullow fought back to score but Enniscorthy continued to dominate and they added three more tries before the break, two from Quigley and one from Kehoe.

They continued where they left off in the second-half and, although the visitors did score two further tries, Enniscorthy were clinical and two more tries from Arron Quigley and another from Darragh Kehoe sealed an excellent win.

It was a memorable day for centre Arron Quigley who bagged six tries, while full-back Kehoe scored three and also knocked over two conversions. James Kalyta kicked three conversions.

Team: Lawrence Power, Aidan Whelan, Conor Walsh. Shane Carley, Ian Rigley, Sam Geraghty, Levi Rozsa, Marco Byrne, Jude Green, James Kinsella, Brian Cronin, Arron Quigley, James Kalyta, Liam Byrne, Darragh Kehoe. Subs. (all used) - Nathan Murphy, Mark Aspel, Cathal Kennedy, Lee Moore, Mervyn Rogan, James De Lacey.

They are away to Naas next Saturday.

Enniscorthy 90, Ashbourne 0: Enniscorthy's Under-17s produced their best performance of the year and blew away the opposition from Ashbourne who had no response to the relentless pressure from the home side.

It was a rout as Enniscorthy amassed 90 points for their biggest-ever win. One had to feel sorry for the visitors but they were completely outclassed.

Out-half Ben Kidd had a particularly good day, scoring three tries and ten conversions, surely a record for an out-half at youth rugby level.

Enniscorthy's try scorers were Ben Kidd (three), Michael Shiggins, Oran French and Cedric Aucher (two each), Miguel Byrne, Neill Kidd, Jack Freeman, Conn Kavanagh-Morris and Jack Saunders.

The Enniscorthy Under-16 girls took on Athy in a friendly recently.

Unfortunately, Athy conceded the league points due to girls feeling unwell, but the friendly went ahead with some of the Enniscorthy girls helping Athy to field a team. Ten tries were scored and only a conversion separated the sides in the end.

Enniscorthy started well with Anna Nolan scoring their first try in the second minute, but Athy matched it two minutes later.

Kaci O'Connor got over the line to score Enniscorthy's second try in the sixth minute. Athy answered back ten minutes later to equal the sides.

With a fantastic pass and pace to match, Mia Kelly scored a super try. Lauren Delaney on the wing added two tries in quick succession to leave Enniscorthy 25-10 clear at half-time.

In the second-half Athy got three tries, with no answer from the Enniscorthy girls. With the sun shining and the bitter cold, the wind had a massive impact on the game with a lot of knock-ons and a lot of scums.

Athy won the game with their last conversion (27-25). A lot can still be learned from our manager Eamonn Whelan and coaches John Bolger and Colin Cahill, and training continues every Monday and Wednesday from 7.30-9 p.m.

Enniscorthy travelled to play Tullamore on Saturday. The home side started very well and scored their first try in the tenth minute.

Enniscorthy battled hard and hard tackles were made from both sides, but a very strong Tullamore team got their second try in the 20th minute for a 10-0 lead.

The second-half couldn't have started any better, with Katie Whelan taking off up the field and getting over the line to keep Enniscorthy in this fierce and intense battle.

Once more, three minutes later, Whelan was in again after a super run which Aoife Codd converted with ease, despite the very heavy, mucky conditions.

Enniscorthy never gave up, with a great pass finding Anna Nolan on the wing and she got the last try, with Aoife Codd also converting.

The defence had to work so hard as these sides were well matched, but a strong Tullamore scored their third try which was converted, leaving a two points difference with five minutes to go.

Could we hold on? The last five minutes were long but as the final whistle blew the Enniscorthy girls had done it (19-17).

Team: Abbie Horan, Abigail Quigley, Ali Murphy, Anna Nolan, Aoife Codd, Ava O'Connor, Ciara O'Leary, Eabha Farrell, Erin Cahill, Eva Green, Katie Foley, Katie Whelan, Kaci O'Connor, Lauren Delaney, Lucy Egan, Mia Kelly, Mikayla O'Leary, Miriam O'Dowd, Taragh Cooper, Ellen Rogan, Eimear Fitzgerald, Faye Larkin.

The next match is at home to Barnhall next weekend.




N Ross Beta3300372318

Gorey A3201392414


Ballagh Black3102263010

Kilmore Seals3102233310




Ballagh Red4202395416

N Ross Alpha3201462514

Gorey B3102254010

Kilmore Gulls200217284

Wexford People