Monday 14 October 2019

Enniscorthy back to second

Enniscorthy 20 Wicklow 12

Angelo Todisco is confronted by a swarm of Wicklow players during Saturday’s encounter
Angelo Todisco is confronted by a swarm of Wicklow players during Saturday’s encounter
Enniscorthy's Daniel Pimm is tackled by Johnathan Hopkins of Wicklow
Ivan Poole looks for an opening in the difficult conditions in Ross Road on Saturday

Enniscorthy kept their Leinster League Division 1A title hopes alive with another vital victory over Wicklow at the Ross Road on Saturday.

The win moves them back into second place with still a game in hand.

A muddy pitch and light rain made conditions tricky but both sides moved the ball which made it an entertaining contest.

Out-half Killian Lett scored a drop goal after ten minutes. Indeed, his overall kicking in the first-half was good and provided his team with advantageous field position.

On 15 minutes, after a series of good carries in the pack from Angelo Todisco, Tomás Stamp and Glen Deacon, prop Tony White barged over for a try which Ivan Poole converted.

On the half-hour Enniscorthy attacked down the right with a big carry from Tony White and then swiftly moved the ball wide, with Ivan Poole off-loading to flanker Jim White who put full-back Richie Dunne through with a simple pass to score out wide. This left the half-time score at 15-0.

Enniscorthy continued to dominate both possession and territory after the interval.

After ten minutes Richie Dunne fielded a loose clearance from the Wicklow full-back on the 22-metre line.

A clever cross kick found centre Ivan Poole who gathered just short of the line and dived over. Enniscorthy were now in a commanding lead with half an hour left, but that was as good as it got from them as Wicklow came back into the game.

With 15 minutes left they scored a try from a maul under the posts. They continued to press until the end and were rewarded with a fine try off a scrum in the corner on full-time to reduce the deficit to eight points.

'We've got to be pleased with the win against a good Wicklow side,' manager David Wrafter said.

'It keeps us in the hunt. It was disappointing that we did not kick on for the bonus point when we went 20-0 up.

'Four of the pack including all the back row hadn't play a match for six weeks and it showed in the last quarter when we tired and started to give away penalties.'

Next week Enniscorthy travel to Moate to play the Midland Warriors in the first round of the Provincial Towns Cup.

Enniscorthy: Angelo Todisco, David Murphy, Tony White, Tomás Stamp, Glen Deacon, Jim White, Tom Ryan, Nick Doyle, Arthur Dunne, Killian Lett, David O'Dwyer, Ivan Poole (capt.), Daniel Pim, Ivan Jacob, Richard Dunne. Subs. - Ross Barbour for Poole (65), Paddy Waters for T. White (HT), John Daly for Deacon (65), David Shore and Tom Farrar.

Wexford People