Saturday 25 November 2017

Enniscorthy on fire!

Rugby Semi-Final: Irish Junior Cup

Enniscorthy's pitch had survived the week's drenching to ensure that this previously postponed All-Ireland Junior cup semi-final would go ahead.

Enniscorthy 23 Bangor 5

It was a very competitive match with the result in the balance for long periods as the home side struggled to put away the Ulster visitors.

Enniscorthy played with the strong wing and did start well. Ivan Poole kicked a penalty to give them an early lead. They made the real breakthrough 15 minutes in. After continuous driving and recycling of the ball, wing forward Greg Jacob broke away from a maul to score almost under the posts. Ivan Poole added the conversion.

The visitors refused to lie down and came roaring back and should have scored a try. Enniscorthy's defence was immense when they were pinned on their line. They defended superbly with Sean Wall and Tom Ryan to the fore.

It was 13-0 at half-time when Ivan Poole kicked another penalty just on the half-time whistle.

Bangor started the second half very well and Enniscorthy lost Paddy Waters who was sinbinned for coming n from the side of the ruck.

The resulting scrum saw Bangor number 8 Curtis Stewart cross for the try. Mark Widdowson missed the conversion.

Almost from the kick off the numbers were evened up when out half Allister McCusker was yellow carded for tackling with the shoulder without his hands.

It was a very even match for the next 20 minutes as Enniscorthy carried the ball superbly into the wind. Captain and out half Killian Lett was the chief tormentor with his ball carrying.

With 10 minutes remaining McCusker was to receive a second yellow card and a red for again tackling without using his hands. Enniscorthy turned the screw and scored a superb second try. Number 8 Timmy Morrissey made a 30-meter break from half way and when stopped he slipped the ball to full-back David O'Dwyer who was stopped short of the line but again he had Timmy Morrissey on his shoulder and Timmy put Ivan Jacob in. The score was crucial and Bangor were now deflated.

Enniscorthy added another try at the end when man of the match Killian Lett powered over for the third try and a 23-5 win.

Coach Damian McCabe said, "It was a terrific match but I thought our forwards today, as a unit, were excellent, especially Sean Wall, Davie Murphy, and Tom Ryan. The strength of Killian at out half was also crucial because although we won well in the hand, this match was in the balance for a long time. We won this competition in 2013 and it is so good to be back there again. We now play Instonians who were a Senior club last year in the final which is scheduled for February 6. We will have a very short break at Christmas as we face Ashbourne in the League in the match we have in hand".

Team: Paddy Waters, Davie Murphy, AngeloTodisco, Sean Wall, Joe Bulmer, Greg Jacob, Tom Ryan, Timmy Morrissey, Evan Lett, Killian Lett, Hughie O'Neill, Ross Barbour, Ivan Poole, Ivan Jacob, David O'Dwyer. Replacements: (all used) James Doyle, Peadar O'Mahony, Nick Doyle, Arthur Dunne, Jack Kelly, John Clare.

Wexford People

Promoted Links