Wednesday 23 October 2019

General Sport

A sporting round-up


A successful afternoon's racing was had at day two of the county cross-country championships. St. Paul's A.C. hosted the event and would like to thank Jamie Ryan for the use of his land.

The land along with favourable conditions made for a successful day for athletes countywide.

Our own athletes were also very successful: Ciara Martin, eighth, Under-9 girls; Darren O'Neill, seventh, Under-9 boys; Manus Harte, ninth, Under9 boys; Tommy Wickham, sixth, Under-11 boys; Karen O'Neill, first, Under-13 girls; Tara Connick, fourth, Under-15 girls;Eoghan Quirke, fourth, Under-17 boys.

Well done to all and we look forward to the season ahead.

Training has now resumed for all athletes: Monday (Kilrane), Wednesday (Rosslare Strand) and Friday (Rosslare Strand) at 6 p.m. Indoor training will start on November 7 in Rosslare Community Centre from 6 to 7 p.m.


The A.G.M. of the club was held on Thursday last in Scoil Mhuire. The club Chairperson is Helen Foley, who brings a great deal of experience and expertise to the position.

Kevin Tierney resumes his control of the purse strings in his capacity as Treasurer. Clem Daly celebrates his pearl anniversary in the position of Secretary (for those not on quiz teams a pearl anniversary celebrates 30 years on the job).

All the players taking part in the mixed league campaign must be registered, affiliated and insured before play. Clonard will travel to Gorey this week and to Taghmon next week.

Cora O'Leary triumphed in both singles events last week, but no medals were awarded. The next medal competition will be next month.

The club has a night off this week to accommodate the Presidential election in the hall. Affairs will return to normal next week, with the adults in the Hall on Tuesday and the juveniles there on Thursday, in spite of the mid-term break.


Railway 11, Wanderers 0: On a wet and windy Saturday night, Wexford Wanderers first team lost out to second-placed Railway Union under lights at Park Lane. In a game which Wexford matched their opponents in all areas except the score, the contest was tighter than the final score of 11-0 to the visitors indicates.

After an early unconverted try by the visitors, the Wexford side showed composure to compete and keep the score to 5-0 at the break. Indeed, the home side were within inches of the Railway line twice before the end of the half, with Goodison and Hyland nearly touching down.

Early in the second-half the visitors were awarded a penalty which they slotted over to keep pressure on the home side before adding another before the end to stretch the score to 11-0.

The particular concern following this bruising encounter is the growing injury list, with Wanderers losing players in key areas, particularly in the scrum. Wanderers played some good rugby at times with the forwards excelling, particularly at the breakdown and line-outs where Walsh notably stole a number of throws.

Based on this performance against the side many fancy for this league, this evolving Wanderers side will soon be a force to reckon with.

Team: Willie Morris, Richie Morris, Gavin Doyle, Chris Walsh (capt.), John Sunderland, Killian McConville, Anthony Walsh, Ger Lynch, Stuart Ryan, James O'Connor, Neil Mac Aogáin, Seán O Corora, Wayne O'Connor, Mark Goodison, Páid Cousins. Subs. - Paul Gannon for W. O'Connor, Alan Kinsella for Doyle, Danny Hyland for Kinsella.

Wanderers 22, Arklow 17: An impressive Wexford Wanderers second XV notched up an impressive win to start the Leinster Division 2B League season at home against Arklow in a bruising encounter at Park Lane.

The home side started strongly with veteran second row and captain John Fagan crossing the Arklow line for a well-worked try from a rolling maul which Wexford started from a line-out ten metres from the line. Out-half Stewie Brennan duly added the conversion to give the home side a 7-0 lead after 20 minutes.

The Wexford side identified weaknesses in the visitors' game early on and the forwards picked at the rucks and drove low and hard at their opposite numbers, while the Wexford backs used the wind to keep driving the visitors back to the corners with well-worked tactical kicking.

The second score of the game came from a breakout from just outside the Wexford '22 when wing Danny Hyland broke through and outpaced the Arklow defence before off-loading to the supporting tight head prop Kyle Roche who scored beside the posts. The conversion was added by Brennan to leave the home side 14-0 heading for the break.

However, the first-half was to have a final twist for Wexford when, after determined defending and winning a scrum five metres from their own line, a loose ball resulted in the visitors scoring a try beside the posts in the dying seconds which was duly converted to leave the score 14-7 at the break.

Early in the second-half the visitors scored their second try after breaking from midfield. However, in the conditions the conversion was wide and Wanderers re-focused with the veteran John Fagan leading by example and scoring a super try in the corner after a sustained period of picking and driving by the home side. The conversion was missed to take the score to 19-12.

The visitors added another unconverted try to bring the score to 19-17 with 15 minutes to go. However, the bruising encounter resulted in a high number of infringements and after a period of sustained pressure the visitors conceded a penalty in front of their posts which Brennan sloted to give Wanderers a five-point lead with less than ten minutes to go, leaving the final score at 22-17.

Coach Declan Rossiter in praising the performance stressed the need to build on this victory for next weekend's match away to Gorey, and for the rest of the season.

Team: Dermot Graham, Adam Cheevers, Kyle Roche, Wayne O'Connor, John Fagan (capt.), Aidan Harrington, Kevin Forde, Paddy Foley, Ger Cullen, Stuart Brennan, Danny Hyland, Noel Richards, Mark Doyle, Thomas Kozerski, John Barry, John Hyland, Shane Byrne, Dave Kelleher.