Friday 18 October 2019

Gorey get back on track

After a tremendous local derby with Enniscorthy the previous week, which Gorey lost 26-20, Gorey were back home in Clonattin on Saturday with Kilkenny providing the opposition.

Gorey 24 Kilkenny 6

The weather was also a far cry from the previous week, with a sodden, slippery pitch the after-effect of heavy rain all morning.

The match started with Gorey on the attack from the kick-off, and good work by the pack gave them the space for their backs to attack the Kilkenny line.

It took all of five minutes for the first try, when quick passing through the backs saw Andy Holland hit the line at pace to go over for the opener which Stephen Duke converted.

Gorey kept up the pressure with the back row of Earle, Aherne and Woods edging the tight exchanges. On 17 minutes Gorey stretched their lead when Jordan Ahern crashed over for their second try.

Kilkenny kept on pressing but found the home defence hard to break down, and as they moved the ball to their wing the ever-alert Andrew Walshe intercepted to run from deep in the Gorey '22 to score and take the lead to 17-0.

Gorey should have extended their lead when Andy Holland made a tremendous run but the visitors' defence somehow scrambled to deny him what looked like a certain try. With minutes left in the half Kilkenny finally got on the scoreboard with a penalty.

The second-half saw Kilkenny come more into the game as they turned around with the strong wind. On 55 minutes Kilkenny added a penalty after sustained pressure.

However, Gorey, as they did in the first-half, were edging the scrums, with the front row of Richard Deering, Fergal Bolger and Darragh Bellanova dominating the exchanges. Because of this Kilkenny were unable to secure any decent ball and were struggling to get a foothold in the home '22.

The Gorey defence was also in good stead, with the returning Matt Bater leading the home line with great efficiency. Finally Gorey lifted the siege and went in search of the all-important bonus point.

It was not long in coming after good work from Stephen Gardiner as Gorey piled the pressure on with the Kilkenny line only inches away.

A penalty to Gorey saw them opt for a scrum and as they drove to the line a Kilkenny forward strayed into the Gorey line for the referee to award a penalty try. Stephen Duke duly added the conversion for Gorey to secure the win and bonus point.

It was no more than Gorey deserved as they had dominated the setpieces and probably could have added further tries. Despite the score, Kilkenny's defence had proven difficult to break down but Gorey stuck to their gameplan.

Best for Gorey were Richard Deering, Michael Woods and Jordan Ahern in the forwards, with Matt Bater, Andy Holland and John Condren the pick of the backs. Man of the match went to William Earle who was outstanding all day.

This result moves Gorey back into second place in the league. There is no game next week, with an away game to Clondalkin the following week.

Team: R. Deering, F. Bolger, D. Bellanova, J.P. Redmond, A. Copeland, W. Earle, M. Woods, J. Ahern, S. Horan, S. Duke, J. Condren, M. Bater, A. Holland, A. Walsh, G. Bater, D. Gregan, E. Walshe, S. Byrne, P. Horan.

Wexford People

Most Read