Sunday 19 November 2017

Gorey go down at home

Stephen Horan of Gorey races away from Malahide's Mikey Tyrrell
Stephen Horan of Gorey races away from Malahide's Mikey Tyrrell

Gorey resumed their Leinster league duties last Saturday with the visit of league leaders Malahide.

Malahide 41 Gorey 13

On a beautiful November day, with an almost perfect pitch, the visitors provided Gorey with a challenge that would need a total performance from the home team which has been lacking of late after a number of narrow defeats.

The game kicked off with Gorey on the offensive in the early stages. Malahide weathered and immediately counter-attacked and, when Gorey were penalised in their '22, a quick tap and elusive feet saw Malahide go in for an early try.

This was not what the home side needed as, having looked like scoring themselves, within minutes they were now 7-0 down.

Gorey landed a penalty after a good attack saw Malahide penalised.

A Malahide penalty saw them extend their lead to 10-3. Another attack by Gorey which could have yielded a try, but ended with a penalty, saw them reduce the visitors' lead to 10-6.

It was as near as Gorey would get to Malahide as the next 15 minutes saw them stretch their lead, with two unanswered tries putting them 27-6 up with half-time looming.

When things are not going your way, sometimes the harder you try the worse it gets, and this seems to be the case with this young Gorey team.

Gorey started the second-half chasing the game and really Malahide just needed to soak up and pounce on any lapses.

This is how the second-half panned out as Malahide's bonus point try came from a breakdown in the Gorey attack, when a missed pass was intercepted, and the centre ran in under the posts.

This was a cruel blow as Gorey had practically shared possession throughout the game but now found themselves 34-6 down with 20 minutes left.

Gorey started to string passes together and quick hands through the backs finally saw Garry Rynhart race through to score a try which James Nolan converted.

Gorey were now starting to show some signs of life and another great Rynhart break saw them stopped inches from the line.

The last quarter was hectic as Gorey tried everything to get back on track, but when you throw caution to the wind mistakes happen and again a missed timed move allowed Malahide in for their fifth try as they made it 41-13.

Gorey will be disappointed at the manner of this defeat as they were really the architects of their own downfall and allowed Malahide too much room on a day suited to running rugby.

Gorey have no game next week and travel to Ashbourne in two weeks' time for their next Leinster League game.

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links