Wednesday 18 September 2019

Gorey under-15 squad rediscovers form with big derby win over Enniscorthy

The Gorey Under-15s welcomed Enniscorthy to Clonattin for their third meeting this season, having lost on the two previous occasions to their much-improved neighbours. Gorey were last year's Leinster Cup champions but were finding it difficult to recreate that form.

The game kicked off in a strong, blustery wind in the favour of the visitors. But Gorey were first out of the blocks with a well-worked try from their prop Jack Ryan after ten minutes, which was converted to leave the score at 7-0 to the home side.

Within a matter of a couple of minutes Gorey were another try up, this time with Seán Wafer going over in the corner. Most of the spectators didn't expect the conversion to be made in such blustery conditions, but Mark Kehoe hit a beautiful kick to send it over and put Gorey 14-0 up after just 13 minutes.

Enniscorthy fought back, but they were unable to breach Gorey's defence with Greg Bolger and Henry Kennedy making some crucial tackles to deny the visitors and leave the score at 14-0 at half-time.

Although Gorey began the second-half with the benefit of the continuing strong wind, Enniscorthy made most of the play, with Gorey losing their shape temporarily. The visitors piled on the pressure and found themselves with an overlap on the wing on several occasions. It wasn't long before this paid off and Enniscorthy got over for a well-deserved try, but were unable to convert, leaving the score 14-5.

This seemed to spur Gorey back into action and they re-organised their defence and began to attack again. Once again they drove Enniscorthy back and their half-time substitute, Cormac Walsh, made a great tackle followed by a turnover, which he popped up into the hands of the charging Number 8, James Lawlor, who beat three defenders for an unstoppable try. Once again the trusty boot of Mark Kehoe defied expectations and sailed over to put Gorey into a 21-5 lead.

Gorey's tails were up now and they put Seán Wafer into space. He gathered the ball and turned on the after-burners to run past several defenders at a blistering pace and touch it down directly between the posts, leaving out-half Kehoe with his easiest conversion.

Enniscorthy tried one more attack and managed to beat several attempts at tackles, but Gorey's Cillian Tomkins stopped them with a try-saving tackle. With minutes left, James Lawlor broke the line for another try to finish the match at Gorey 33, Enniscorthy 5.

Gorey: Toby Falconer, Thomas Doyle, Jack Ryan, Paddy O'Hagan, Tadhg O'Neill, Seán Newens, Frank Kavanagh, James Lawlor, Cillian Tomkins, Mark Kehoe, Tim O'Brien, Greg Bolger, Seán Wafer, Flynn Donnelly, Henry Kennedy, Luke Hedderman. Replacements: Cormac Walsh, Josh Doyle, Luke Delaney, Donagh McGivern, Cian Sullivan.

Wexford People

Most Read