Tuesday 12 December 2017

Ten-try romp

Tom Ryan, seen here in line-out action against Monkstown, was the only forward to score on Saturday
Tom Ryan, seen here in line-out action against Monkstown, was the only forward to score on Saturday

Enniscorthy produced a try-fest in Ross Road on Saturday in awful conditions when they smashed the bottom team in Division 1A of the Leinster League by 61 points to nil.

Enniscorthy 61 Suttonians 0

They scored ten tries, four of them in the opening half when they played into the teeth of a very strong wind. They carried the ball really well and their handling in the difficult conditions was sublime.

They were able to welcome back Seán Wall for his first match of the season and there was also an impressive performance from young 18-year-old Nick Doyle who started at number 8.

The first try arrived after just two minutes when full-back David O'Dwyer finished off a move he started. Ivan Poole's conversion attempt almost blew back to him.

Suttonians, although having the wind advantage, struggled to break down the home team and the second try came after 20 minutes. Nick Doyle made a fine break, Ivan Poole was on his shoulder and the number 10 switched the direction of the attack for Hughie O'Neill to set Ross Barbour through to finish in the left corner.

Just on half-time Ivan Jacob finished the third try and again it was good teamwork that created the opportunity. Hughie O'Neill's inside pass put Ivan Jacob in and a 15-point lead was established.

Deep into injury time Hughie O'Neill was heavily involved in scoring the first of his two tries. He combined with David O'Dwyer to register the fourth try to ensure the bonus point and a 22-point lead at half-time.

Enniscorthy didn't ease up and Suttonians were run ragged as they looked sadly out of their depth. The home team were still smarting after losing the previous Saturday to Monkstown and they certainly appeared determined to make sure that it was only going to be a blip on their season.

The second-half produced six more tries and the first of those came when the outstanding Hughie O'Neill made a fine individual break to score his second.

Ivan Jacob grabbed the next one as the visitors' defence disintegrated in face of the onslaught. Tom Ryan became the only forward to score when he registered the seventh from close in. Hughie O'Neill again got in and Ivan Poole added the conversion.

Killian Lett and David O'Dwyer finished off the scoring.

Enniscorthy are on top of the table with 32 points, three ahead of Gorey in second place. Angelo Todisco was the man of the match with Nick Doyle not far behind, and the outstanding back on the field was Hughie O'Neill.

Coach Damian McCabe, who picked up a shoulder injury, was delighted with the team's performance. 'I know we were playing the bottom side but our handling was very good. The conditions were tough but thanks to our ground staff the pitch was in excellent condition. We desperately wanted to play as we didn't want a back-up of fixtures,' he said.

'We play Bangor next weekend in the Irish Junior Cup semi-final and thankfully we are at home, and the following week we play Ashbourne so it's a hectic schedule for the lads. That is why we are lucky to have such a strong squad.'

Team: Paddy Waters, Davy Murphy (Peadar O'Mahoney), Angelo Todisco, Joseph Bulmer, Seán Wall, Greg Jacob, Tom Ryan, Nick Doyle, Evan Lett, Killian Lett, Hughie O'Neill, Ivan Poole (Jack Kelly), Ross Barbour (Arthur Dunne), Ivan Jacob, David O'Dwyer.

The next match is on Saturday, December 12, in the Irish Junior Cup semi-final versus Bangor in Ross Road at 2 p.m.

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links