Monday 18 December 2017

Sinnott points way as Under-14s complete double

DEAN GOODISON in St. Patrick's Park

The triumphant Taghmon-Camross Under-14 squad.
The triumphant Taghmon-Camross Under-14 squad.


2-7 2-6

TAGHMON-CAMROSS added the Under-14 football Division 2 championship crown to the Under16 one they picked up seven days earlier as they edged out St. John's Volunteers in dramatic fashion in St. Patrick's Park.

When Aaron McGuire's shot bounced off the post, then upright, before falling perfectly for Lee Busher to punch to the net with just eight minutes remaining, it looked like the Wexford town side was on its way to a fantastic victory.

However, Taghmon-Camross proved to be resilient when bouncing back to beat CrossabegBallymurn in the Under-16 final and exhibited that trait again with five consecutive points, turning a four-point deficit into the narrowest of victories.

Powerful midfielder Luke Sinnott came to the fore in those latter stages, tying his booming kicks in with unerring accuracy which proved to be the recipe for success as he claimed three of those points, including the last two, to grab victory from the jaws of defeat.

It was a bitterly tough pill for the John Street Volunteers to swallow. They dominated large chunks of this game including the opening exchanges as they raced into a 1-3 to nil lead inside twelve minutes with some superb football.

Eoin Doyle was denied in the opening minute when combining well with Luke Dowdall but there was no stopping his second-minute penalty that gave the Vols the lead. A lovely point from tight on the left from Gary Cullen was added to by Doyle after excellent anticipation in defence by Dion Murphy.

Jack O'Leary rounded off the purple patch with a fine finish but it wouldn't be enough for a half-time lead. Stephen O'Gorman pointed a free to get the ball rolling before Sinnott's '45 slipped into the Volunteers net and Daniel Furlong forced home a second goal from close range after his initial shot was saved by goalkeeper Connolly Jarrett (2-1 to 1-3).

Doyle and Sinnott traded early second-half points but gradually the Volunteers took control again. Callum Kehoe clipped over a nice right-footed point, a score Doyle added to before Busher's goal left four between the sides (2-6 to 2-2).

The title looked to be heading to Wexford, only for the incredible whirlwind finish that saw David O'Keeffe, Sinnott (three) and Stephen O'Keeffe grab victory from the jaws of defeat. It all meant that Stephen O'Gorman picked up the trophy on behalf of his side amid joyous celebrations.

Taghmon- Camross: Jack Banville; Tomás Banville, Darren Hayden, Darragh Winters; David O'Keeffe (0-1), Shane Doyle, Shane Lacey; Luke Sinnott 1-4, 1-0 ' 45, 0-2 frees), Stephen O'Gorman (0-1 free); Anto Roche, Stephen O'Keeffe (0-1), Daniel Furlong (1-0); Seán O'Keeffe, Owen McLoughlin, Peter Murphy. Subs. - Alex Gondard for McLoughlin, James Hanley for Murphy, Luke Boylan for T. Banville, Cathal Doyle for Gondard, also Danny Winters.

St. John's Volunteers: Connelly Jarrett; Eoin Mahon, Brian Nolan, Cian Rossiter; Alan Browne, Dion Murphy, Jason Nolan; Jack O'Leary (0-1), Patrick Glover; Gary Cullen (0-1), Aaron McGuire, Lee Butler (1-0); Luke Dowdall, Eoin Doyle (1-3, 0-2 frees), Ben McMahon. Subs. - Callum Kehoe (0-1) for McMahon, Aaron Smyth for Rossiter, also Eoin Reck, Eoin Allen, Aaron Kinsella, Ryan Busher, Aaron Roche, Brian Deeney, Matthew Currid, Finnian Coughlan, Myles Crosbie.

Referee: Brendan Martin (Ballyhogue).

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links