Sunday 17 December 2017

Back at long last!

Diarmuid Byrne of North End United keeps the ball away from Jack Halpin (Bridge Rovers) in their Under-10 encounter
Diarmuid Byrne of North End United keeps the ball away from Jack Halpin (Bridge Rovers) in their Under-10 encounter
Lewis Hynes of Bridge Rovers is watched closely by Rory Ennis (North End United) in their Under-10 game on Saturday

The Wexford and District Schoolboys Soccer League finally kicked back into action after a prolonged, enforced break in the last few weeks, with cup games through the even age groups.

Surprises were in short supply in the Under-12 Cup where just two teams beat opponents in a higher division. Fethard took the impressive scalp of North End United in round two while Oylegate of Division 3 edged past Division 2A side Shelburne.

Elsewhere in round two, St. Leonards travelled to Curracloe and advanced with a 2-1 win, Bunclody saw off Ballymurn on penalties, Wexford Albion beat St. Joseph's 'B', and Campile squeezed past St. Cormac's on spot kicks.

Back in the first round, nine games were played. Rathnure edged divisional rivals Killenagh 1-0, Gorey Celtic smashed eight past Ferns, and Adamstown followed their lead against Courtown. Shamrock Rovers beat Cloughbawn after extra-time while Gorey Rangers went to Corach and won.

The tie of the round happened in Kennedy Park as Wexford Albion 'B' scored five times but only scraped past Camolin by the odd goal. St. Joseph's 'A' eased past Tombrack, Wexford Celtic continued their positive start to the season against Moyne, and Forth Celtic edged Duncannon.

There were just two games in round one of the Under-14 Cup and both caused a ripple of surprise. Camolin Celtic beat St. Joseph's 4-2 to advance while Rathnure scored three at home to get the better of Enniscorthy Town.

In round two, Wexford Celtic were shocked by Division 3A opponents Fethard on penalties, Cloughbawn got the better of Gorey Celtic, and Wexford Albion beat Blackwater. Last year's Under-13 winners, Moyne, slumped out at the hands of Forth Celtic.

Meanwhile, Corach Ramblers put five past Ferns at home, St. Cormac's beat New Ross Town, and Duncannon travelled to Enniscorthy and eliminated Shamrock Rovers. Gorey Rangers got the better of Shelburne and Adamstown crept past Curracloe.

In Ballymurn the hosts had their way with it against Kilmore, and Campile made the long trip to Bunclody and came away with a place in round three. Bree United impressed with victory over Glynn Barntown and Bridge Rovers beat Tombrack.

The big turn-up for the books in the Under-16 Cup saw Shelburne topple current Division 1 leaders Ferns on penalties.

Favourites North End United beat Wexford Albion 4-1 while Shamrock Rovers fell at home to last year's beaten Under-15 finalists, Duncannon.

There was a solid victory for Division 1 side Bunclody over Killenagh, and St. Leonards got the better of New Ross Celtic. Rathnure got a positive result against Division 2 opponents St. Joseph's to advance to round three.

Elsewhere in round two, Camolin easily saw off Wexford Albion 'B', Wexford Celtic dismissed the challenge of Gorey Celtic, and Moyne Rangers smashed six past Gorey Rangers in a surprisingly one-sided clash.

This week the attention turns to the odd age groups. Between rounds one and two, there are 18 fixtures down for decision in the Under-11 Cup, ten in the Under-13 and nine at Under-15 level in what promises to be a weekend with more shocks and surprises.

Best wishes to Killian Buckley (Bridge Rovers) for a speedy after his injury in the Under-10 game versus North End on Saturday.

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links