Thursday 12 December 2019

Bolger hits double in Rangers victory

Wexford Volkswagen Cup

Conor Casserly of Gorey Rangers is challenged by Eddie Pitman of Wexford Albion during the Wexford Volkswagen Cup tie at Ramstown
Conor Casserly of Gorey Rangers is challenged by Eddie Pitman of Wexford Albion during the Wexford Volkswagen Cup tie at Ramstown

Premier Division leaders Gorey Rangers overcame the brave challenge of Wexford Albion on Sunday to book their place in the third round of the Wexford Volkswagen Cup.

Kyle Mann got on the scoresheet for the Division 3A pacesetters, but Rangers ran out 3-1 winners thanks to a Joe Bolger double and an Adam Territ strike.

Shamrock Rovers survived an almighty scare against Raheen United before progressing 4-2. The underdogs held a 2-1 advantage deep into the second-half thanks to goals from Enda Wickham and Peter Finn.

However, the introduction of the wily James Carty changed the game for the Premier Division high-flyers and they managed to grind out the win.

Mikey Dempsey, Ricky Fox (penalty), Martin McKeown and John O'Connor scored for the Enniscorthy outfit.

Gorey Celtic 'A' came out on top 6-3 in an all-Premier Division tie against Bunclody. Matty Kavanagh bagged a hat-trick for the winners, with Niall Keys, Darragh Curran and Jakub Konkel adding a goal apiece and Timmy Bolger, Andrew Kelly and Severin Gadzina replying for Bunclody.

Courtown Hibs made their superior class tell against Castledockrell, running out 8-0 winners, with Leighton Gleeson, Glen Hughes and Hiego Cortez Correa all netting doubles and Steven Redmond and Marco Santos also hitting the back of the net.

Dylan Murphy, Eoin Cashin, Eoin Rhodes and Keith Katus got the goals for New Ross Celtic as they ran out 4-1 winners over Crossabeg 'B', with Joe Wilson scoring for the Division 4 side.

Crossabeg's first team also lost out to Premier Division opponents as they were edged out 2-1 by Corach Ramblers.

John Staples and Mark Sinnott scored for the Danescastle men, with Conor Maddock replying for Crossabeg.

Bridge Rovers had too much for local rivals Oylegate United, with Shane Murphy, Niall Murphy, Terry Gainfort and Jody Hynes getting their goals in a 4-1 victory. Barry Dunne grabbed a consolation for Oylegate.

Tombrack United also chalked up a comfortable win, as they overcame North End United 'B' 4-0, with goals from Kevin Coleman, Darragh Hendrick, Bob Newe and Richie O'Hara.

Division 1 title-hopefuls Rosslare Rangers also moved into the next round as they saw off Wexford Albion 'B' 3-0, with Gearóid Byrne bagging a double and Mark Furlong also hitting the net.

Forth Celtic were much too good for Shamrock Rovers 'B', chalking up an emphatic 8-0 victory with a hat-trick from Jesse Farrell, doubles from Paul Underwood and Ryan Murphy, and a goal from Ryan Busher, while Enniscorthy Town beat Stoney Rovers 'B' by the same scoreline.

Wexford Bohs overcame St. Leonards by a three-goal margin for the second week in succession. Having triumphed 4-1 in the league the previous weekend, the Drinagh outfit won 5-2 this time around, with Seán Pailing scoring a double and Aaron Lambert, Todd Hynes and Jack Murphy scoring a goal apiece.

St. Leonards replied through an own goal and the prolific Seán 'Mini' Ryan.

Adamstown overcame Carne F.C. 4-0, with Conor Hickey contributing a double and Ian White and Ciarán Finn also getting in on the act.

Campile United had their shooting boots on, running out 9-3 winners against The Ballagh. Eric Banville was the star of the show, scoring five times for the winners, with Paddy McMahon, Darragh Kent, Owen Rowe and an own goal adding to their tally.

Craig Davitt, Kevin Sinnott and Callum O'Reilly got the goals for The Ballagh.

Fethard Rangers fought back from 2-1 down to see off Stoney Rovers 5-2. The visitors held a 1-0 advantage at the break but Jean-Luc Tubritt drew Fethard level. He equalised for a second time, when rifling home a penalty in the 70th minute, before substitute Graham O'Grady ran riot in the closing stages, helping himself to a hat-trick.

Conor Farrell and Paudie Leacy got the goals for Caim United in their 2-0 win over Wexford Celtic, while Shelburne United 'B' edged out Rathnure 2-1, with Jack Fleming and Eoin Burke scoring for the winners.

There was no joy for Shelburne's first team, however, as they lost out 4-3 to Killenagh Wanderers. Pat Naughter, Francis Doyle and Martin Flynn (two) scored for the winners, with Brian Minogue neting a double in reply and Chris Connick also hitting the back of the net.

Gorey Celtic's second string joined their first team in the third round as they overcame Wexford Celtic 'B' 3-0, with Ger Carey and Gavin Goodwin getting on the scoresheet and an own goal adding to their tally.

Ferns United eventually progressed 5-3 on penalies after a 3-3 draw with Bree United. Ivan Meegan, Johnny Breen and Anthony Dwyer scored for the winners, with Noel Roche (two) and Enda Minogue on target for Bree.

Philip O'Connor, Rob Kehoe and Nicky Sinnott got the goals for Cushinstown as they edged out Campile 'B' 3-2, with Tommy Quinn scoring twice for United.

In a battle between Camolin's 'A' and 'B' sides, the first team just about came out on top, winning 3-2 thanks to goals from Joe Dowling, Tom O'Leary and Rob Molloy. Keith Crosbie and Paul Carton scored for the 'B' team.

Conor Tighe was in scintillating form for St. Leonards 'B' as they edged out Rosslare Rangers 'B' 5-4 on penalties.

Tighe netted all of his side's goals in their 4-4 draw, with Jason Ellard (two), Fintan Wickham and Derek Boyne replying for Rangers.

Duncannon ran out 4-2 winners over Curracloe United, with Adam Prendergast, Keith Donnelly, Jack O'Brien and Devin Wall-Walsh scoring for the winners.

A Keith Breen goal was enough for Ferns United 'B to progress at the expense of Enniscorthy United 'B'.

Wexford People