Monday 22 January 2018

Celtic end on high

Under-11 crown wrapped up in style

Dean Goodison

Oisin Kavanagh and his Wexford Celtic colleagues receive the cup from Schoolboys' League PRO, Ian Lawlor
Oisin Kavanagh and his Wexford Celtic colleagues receive the cup from Schoolboys' League PRO, Ian Lawlor
Cal Innes of Wexford Celtic tackles Dylan Hodson, Moyne Rangers
Rhian Moore of Moyne moves in on Harry Curtis (Wexford Celtic)

Wexford Celtic wrapped up the Wexford and District Schoolboys League Under-11 Division 1 title in style with an emphatic victory over Moyne Rangers in the Showgrounds, Enniscorthy recently.

Wexford Celtic 8 - Moyne Rangers 1

The Sinnottstown Lane crew came into the game knowing a draw would be enough to give the club their first under-age title since 2012. They had sauntered into the league-winning position with ten straight victories, scoring 40 goals and conceding just five in the process.

With the quality they displayed on the day it's hardly a surprise that they ended the season as champions. Right throughout the team they have ability. Not just that, they also had five substitutes, all of whom came on and they didn't weaken the performance in the slightest.

The brand of football was also superb. For a side of Under-11s they really know how to pass the ball around, both with finesse in close quarters and with accuracy when a long pass is needed. They were also composed as a team, despite things not falling right for them in the first quarter.

Harry Curtis had a few chances early on that narrowly missed the target while Darby Purcell also saw a shot on goal well saved by Jack Whitley. Rangers, with Dylan Browne, Jack Byrne, Mark Curran and Rhian Moore defending well, went close themselves when Browne's long-range effort bounced up and over Killian Whelan's crossbar.

The first goal arrive eleven minutes before half-time when Eoghan O Lionáin jinked away down the left and squared for Oisín Kavanagh who slotted home the first of a poacher's hat-trick. With the Celtic defence superb, their midfield and forwards attacked in waves.

Jack Dempsey went close himself with a free-kick before his cross-shot fell perfectly for Kavanagh to force home his second. Cal Innes saw an effort saved before the interval but his side were comfortable at the change-around.

It took just two minutes of the second-half for Purcell to head home Curtis' corner from the right. Then came a stunning two minutes in which Curtis scored three times.

The first was a classy free-kick into the roof of Whitley's net after Cuan Gallagher was fouled, the second a daisy-cutter from the edge of the area and the third a rocket from 20 yards out to the top-right corner.

Dempsey got a goal for himself with the help of a deflection with nine minutes remaining before the hosts pulled one back with a fine strike from Rhian Moore. There was still time for one final goal. It was left to Kavanagh to wrap up his treble, and his side's title, in the final minute.

Star man - Harry Curtis (Wexford Celtic): A driving force for Celtic. His performance was topped off with a two-minute hat-trick.

Wexford Celtic: Killian Whelan; Jack Corcoran, Tiarnan Doyle, Darby Purcell; Jack Dempsey, Cal Innes, Eoghan O Lionáin, Harry Curtis; Oisín Kavanagh (capt.). Subs. (rolling) - Darragh Houghton, Kieran McGrath, Charlie Hynes, Cuan Gallagher, Eoin Doyle.

Moyne Rangers: Jack Whitley; Dylan Browne, Jack Byrne, Mark Curran, Rhian Moore; Ricky Doran, Billy Redmond, Cody Dobbs (capt.); Dylan Hudson. Sub. (rolling) - Jack O'Regan.

Referee: Paddy Nolan.

Wexford People

Promoted Links